Show off you sub-hilt fighters!

This was posted by Dave Ellis. Needless to say, it's not mine...

Subhilt_Loveless.jpg

Beautiful knife by Jay Maines -- I don't own one, but got to handle one for pictures.

25.jpg

Not such awesome customs like posted above, just a CS BBC, but I thing the pic is worth to see.

LeftTop.jpg

Horus,

Nice pic. Nice avatar too - is that from "Once were warriors"?

Originally posted by Dark Nemesis
What is the actual definition of a subhilt configuration and what are the boundries a handle must stay within to meet that definition.

DN, all the above pictures are what subhilts should be, except for the Busse. The sub-hilt is like another kind of "second guard" almost, in theory to pull out the knife easier after you get it stuck in something. Look at the way they are made, there is the guard, a little handle material, then the sub-hilt, then the rest of the handle. The Busse is just one straight thing all the way, blade, then handle material with a cutout. I'm not knocking Busse, I own a few myself and they are great, but technically it doesn't qualify, at least to me, as a sub-hilt. It is only a handle with a finger groove in my opinion. There are knives out there with a finger groove cutout in the handle, and they are NOT sub-hilts, no matter how extreme the finger groove is.

Maybe someone can word what I typed better. Anyways, great pics, keep 'em coming.

Originally posted by Don Rac
DN, all the above pictures are what subhilts should be, except for the Busse. The sub-hilt is like another kind of "second guard" almost, in theory to pull out the knife easier after you get it stuck in something. Look at the way they are made, there is the guard, a little handle material, then the sub-hilt, then the rest of the handle. The Busse is just one straight thing all the way, blade, then handle material with a cutout. I'm not knocking Busse, I own a few myself and they are great, but technically it doesn't qualify, at least to me, as a sub-hilt. It is only a handle with a finger groove in my opinion. There are knives out there with a finger groove cutout in the handle, and they are NOT sub-hilts, no matter how extreme the finger groove is.

Maybe someone can word what I typed better. Anyways, great pics, keep 'em coming.

ok, that does make sense. Clears up a lot especially since I had no idea "why" subhilts were built. Thanks for the info, there is a Lovestrand over on Les's site that I keep looking at during work :)

Leave it to knifemakers to be able to make a controversy out of almost any subject . . . This again supports my theory of the importance of alcohol in the creative process!!! ;)

I am amazed to find that some folks, including some makers, suggest that an integral sub-hilt is nothing more than a finger groove!!! :eek: Wow! You learn something new everyday!! Now, I am left to ponder whether these same folks would consider any forward integral guard/hilt to be nothing more than a "speed bump" between the handle and blade??? :D ;)

The term "sub-hilt" suggests a secondary hilt. To declare or insinuate that an integral sub-hilt does not qualify as a "true" subhilt is to, likewise say that an integral forward guard or hilt does not qualify as a "true" guard or hilt. That would be, by most people's definition, ridiculous.

Both hilts, forward and sub, are designed around a particular function, whether it be the forward hilt, designed to stop the hand from sliding forward onto the blade, or whether it be the sub-hilt, designed to give added control and supply the finger behind the forward hilt a base upon which to pull when retrieving the blade.

Simply adding a pair of either nickel silver, stainless steel, or brass bolsters pinned or soldered to the sides of the tang or incorporating a single milled piece of metal in this area of the handle does not make the sub-hilt any more or less functional than an integral design. Nor does it make it any more or less of a true sub-hilt. :rolleyes:

If the term were "sub-bolster" then I would agree that it would be necessary to add a secondary material to the handle. The term "sub-hilt" does not suggest that.

I suppose that what constitutes a "hilt" or "guard" is open to speculation and interpretation. However, if you choose to define the term, as I do, by its functionality, then integral guards and sub-hilts do exist. . . Yes Virginia, integral guards do exist! ;) I have made both integral and non-integral types and although the level of difficulty can vary, neither is more functional than the other.

I would agree that it could be considered as a mere "finger groove" if there were not a sufficient amount of "hilt" to supply the added control of a "true" sub-hilt. But as you can see in the pic of the Busse knife, there is sufficient "hilt" for these purposes.

Yours in integral sub-hilts,

Jerry

Great blade shape, and of course a beautiful stone handle. I'm not sure I like the butt, but hey, what do I know. What are the fittings made of?

JD

The fittings are made of straight laminate mokume (copper and NS). Yeah I don't like her butt either, plus I should have dropped/swept the handle more so the pommel was more inline with the tip. The butt needs to be angled more, at least.

Just got this at the Solvang Show in Calif.
A real beauty by Randy Lee of St. Johns, Arizona.

7" ATS-34 mirror finish blade.
Nickle silver hilts, butt and spacers.
Handle of Calif Buckeye burl, amber, & sea cow bone.

A beautiful and perfect fitting sheath by Sonja Lee.

Frank :cool:

leeartsy.jpg

I love the SH design of Jim Siska (following another one)

SH2.jpg

and the bright idea of Rob Brown.

0050.jpg

Back