Photos Show your low end steel :)

420, 440, 4116, xCr, 10xx, 12C27, Rostfrei, you name it!

Let's make this a great thread!

IMG-2022-02-19-11-23-36-776.jpg

20221107_220658.jpg
Been using the Victorinox a lot in the garden, hit a surprising amount of rocks with no edge damage at all, and Buck's 420HC around the house a lot, the classic 1075 Ontario SP-1 invincible beater, great AD20.5 can take a hit through drywall and keep going, enjoying the Crafstman razor too, and my carbon Mora carving knife.

Last edited:
Idk if This counts???

It's mid/high grade high speed steel (M2 likely) from lowly hacksaw blades.
I've been on a kick lately, and made about a dozen of these in various configurations..... I really Love them, they out cut/perform most everything. ;)

Other than being incredibly difficult to grind, I wonder why more makers aren't making knives with them.

I always wanted to get myself a Buck 120 General and never got around to it. Then one day I thought about it and bought one. It wasn't easy but I trimmed my mustache with her straight out of the box.

Buck120-4a.jpg

I also have these Damascus knives that I bought. A matching set with a fixed Bowie and hunter folder with stag handles. They are made in Pakistan and not worth much, but I think they are pretty, so I kept them.

Damascus-3a.jpg

I also bought three M7 Bayonets. The edge bevels on them were the most hideous bevels that I've ever seen, so I put them in my Wicked Edge and put perfect edge bevels on them.

M7-3a.jpg

I always wanted to get myself a Buck 120 General and never got around to it. Then one day I thought about it and bought one. It wasn't easy but I trimmed my mustache with her straight out of the box.

View attachment 1982212

I also have these Damascus knives that I bought. A matching set with a fixed Bowie and hunter folder with stag handles. They are made in Pakistan and not worth much, but I think they are pretty, so I kept them.

I also bought three M7 Bayonets. The edge bevels on them were the most hideous bevels that I've ever seen, so I put them in my Wicked Edge and put perfect edge bevels on them.

View attachment 1982214
I definitely have the 120 calling too, despite how great the normal 119 is. Its just so beautiful.
Out of curiosity have ya cut with the bayonet? Just curious hos they do, ever since getting my tiny MT dagger..

This A.G. Russell One Hand Knife is in Aus8 and takes just an insane edge. I really love sharpening and using it and it stays in my pocket on one of those little dangler pocket clips. That and N690 are my favorite steels to sharpen and maintain, they just lose their burr so nicely and polish up so well.
OgavvYd.jpg

The worst "low end" steel I have come across was my mother-in-law's ancient Old Hickory. It would go dull just by looking at it. I think it was forged from old refrigerator magnets. Today's steels from reputable makers all perform well IMHO, from Buck's 420HC to top end powder alloys.

The worst "low end" steel I have come across was my mother-in-law's ancient Old Hickory. It would go dull just by looking at it. I think it was forged from old refrigerator magnets. Today's steels from reputable makers all perform well IMHO, from Buck's 420HC to top end powder alloys.
My Old Hic is definitely one of my duller knives, but it still works in the kitchen. The only time I have come across truly awful steel is at vacation rentals, which have the cheapest possible kitchen knives. Yet people still get by for a few days with them.

I definitely have the 120 calling too, despite how great the normal 119 is. Its just so beautiful.
Out of curiosity have ya cut with the bayonet? Just curious hos they do, ever since getting my tiny MT dagger..

No, I haven't cut anything other than some paper and a couple cuts in cardboard to knock off any burr that might have been on the edge. I doubt that they will hold an edge very long.

Back