Photos Show your low end steel :)

Great photos!
How'd you get the circular patina on that blade? It came out fantastic
Thanks! You mix mustard with apple cider vinegar, apply it in random dots with a toothpick, let it sit for 20-30 minutes, rinse it off, then repeat with a second coat. You could probably get good results repeating it again, because it is where the dots overlap that you end up with alot of the cool color play in the light.

Thanks! You mix mustard with apple cider vinegar, apply it in random dots with a toothpick, let it sit for 20-30 minutes, rinse it off, then repeat with a second coat. You could probably get good results repeating it again, because it is where the dots overlap that you end up with alot of the cool color play in the light.
Genius. Thanks.

You just gave me a reason to pick up another virgin carbon blade.
"It's for arts and crafts, honey. I promise"

My Old Hic is definitely one of my duller knives, but it still works in the kitchen. The only time I have come across truly awful steel is at vacation rentals, which have the cheapest possible kitchen knives. Yet people still get by for a few days with them.
I got a whole quart pail of those cheap serrated knives out of a dumpster used by a short-term rental place. Maybe 1mm thick and 3 1/2" long. They were great in the shop for times where you wanted to heat the blade to melt holes in plastic. Used to see them sold by the half dozen for about 2 bucks. I have a whole bundle of Robinson "steak" knives I got at a thrift store dirt cheap. Wood handles, made in USA I think. Great for a picnic. Probably real 420 steel, LOL.

I do have a lot of mystery metal knives that are mostly recycled truck springs. They work. I just got back from a 2 month trip to Thailand and Vietnam and collected another half dozen or so big hand-forged knives. None were over $5. I think.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

I've been out of the knife game for some time, like 5 or 6 years.
What is considered low end?

Ah I see haha. So s35vn is cheap now? Sweet!

I have m390 and elmax now, I suppose that'll be cheap later on.
M390 was developed in the 70s, It is already cheap.

You need new steel like AR-RPM9, introduced in 2020. (Just a fancy Chinese name for somewhat higher quality 440B)

M390 was developed in the 70s, It is already cheap.

You need new steel like AR-RPM9, introduced in 2020. (Just a fancy Chinese name for somewhat higher quality 440B)
Honestly I could careless about steels, unless it's too soft or too brittle.

Back