Sir Snark-A-Lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
A hot one on the lip sounds dirty LMAO
It's not nearly as fun as it sounds. :(

As for sanding discs, a lot of guys just use whatever sandpaper they prefer and glue them on with 3M removable spray adhesive so they can go as high in grit as they want. Me, I'm lazy and only use my disc sander for squaring up edges and stuff, so I just buy packs of 80-grit PSA discs from Home Deopt or wherever they're on sale.

If you ain't cheating, you must think it's just a game. Snarking is serious bidness. So you better let go of any high minded ideas you got about fair play and rightness and snark like you mean it!
:thumbup:

We've got to have standards! Othewise chaos would ensue and no one would know if they were in on one, two or three...

Cbear - whatcha got from Kabar?

Yes, you can't just dangle that out there.

50?? Shoot i "retired" at around 25

Of course it was neither my choice nor my preference.

Sometimes it's the miles rather than the years, so I'm assuming based on some of your posts that you put on some high OPTEMPO. I retired from the Army at 43, but with a mortgage and kids still needing college, gainful employment is still required. Fortunately, I'm not too broken and get around well enough to get the job done in the office, motor pool or field. It helps that my work is mostly intellectual at this point also.

It's not nearly as fun as it sounds. :(

As for sanding discs, a lot of guys just use whatever sandpaper they prefer and glue them on with 3M removable spray adhesive so they can go as high in grit as they want. Me, I'm lazy and only use my disc sander for squaring up edges and stuff, so I just buy packs of 80-grit PSA discs from Home Deopt or wherever they're on sale.

I like the idea of using sandpaper with the spray adhesive!!

Im not even sure what id use the sanding disk for yet really... I just didnt want to leave it with nothing on the side LMAO So I just ordered a pack of 10 of the ones that seemed to be the cheapest, the PSA 240 grit ones. 8 bucks shipped. Probably should of went with a lower grit number, but i just picked the cheapest. I didnt go cheap on belts so i figured i could go cheap on the disc. Less than a dollar each... No big loss if they dont work well or if i got the wrong ones.

We've got to have standards! Othewise chaos would ensue and no one would know if they were in on one, two or three...

Yes, you can't just dangle that out there.

Sometimes it's the miles rather than the years, so I'm assuming based on some of your posts that you put on some high OPTEMPO. I retired from the Army at 43, but with a mortgage and kids still needing college, gainful employment is still required. Fortunately, I'm not too broken and get around well enough to get the job done in the office, motor pool or field. It helps that my work is mostly intellectual at this point also.

See the thing that bothers me is i still get around just fine. i can still fight, jump, and even run if the situation calls for it.... But they dont let me work because my EEG brain scans are still abnormal. So even though i havent had seizures for years even without medication, and they only lasted a year or 2 after my injury, they are worried they could start up again at any time. Id love to be able to go back to work. A man my age is not meant to stay at home and play house IMO.

All you have to do is retire at 50. It'll get here quicker than you think. :D
Excellent! I'm already retired, then....so, tell me again why I'm snarking from my work truck?

I'll be lucky if I can retire before I'm dead.

WW: the disc part can be very useful for things like grinding square edges....kinda like what I did to your Machax. Done almost completely with the disc. Plus the disc has a pre-built-in vac port.

What's up Guys! Been pretty busy lately working on and trying to figure out designs so I haven't been around much.

But I just wanted to show you guys my latest prototype. This one is not perfect and has many flaws, but my design is about done. Have my drawing done for the final model and have made a few small changes but this will give you all a good idea of what it will look like. The straps are also a little thicker than normal, Because I just used some stuff I had laying around because I didn't really think I was gonna finish this one out.

I'm used to making black sheaths for my personal use, but man I'm really loving the browns. Still working on dying and stuff and this one isn't as even as I wanted but I actually like the way it came out.

7a1f32d58d35f6115216e8bc42f34d6a_zps1f4b05f4.jpg

"Rapid Release strap licensed from Hedgehog Leatherworks, US Patent #7587827"

3631780a05e106a446b52cedc879d8bc_zpsfdeac7e9.jpg

21ba05f5f542974473cd1da9c62a630c_zpsa4cfa927.jpg

e7f4aa09bef11070e97c762b218c4342_zpsa14409d8.jpg

2ed611818811d2623d41e8b68f36f65a_zps396ce0d0.jpg

a05bf19323a4e9ce3c829037c327c5c3_zps3b4364b5.jpg

511010aa19e8d6186bcc507c9038624c_zps60a277ac.jpg

0569abd19b85a479cd549f710f1298d0_zps6f3eb4eb.jpg

I have some new hardware coming in today so I'm gonna try a few more things till I'm happy with it and also change these snaps out to black and more stronger ones.

This sheath is for a BK10. I'm doing the same type model for the 2, 7, 10, and 12. And have a smaller design very similar for the 16 and 17.

Have a lot of different attachments that are designed to interchange with this sheath. This is the base model. Will have fero rod holders, pouches, my altoids tin shock cord design, and also two other attachments for retention and belt carry available. And the ability to make it left or right handed.

That looks sick Dex. :thumbup:

Im not even sure what id use the sanding disk for yet really...

In addition to squaring things (or 45'ing them or whatever) , after the scales are drilled to fit the tang and roughly ground to shape, I bolt 'em together and use the disk/tool rest to make sure the fronts of them line up/match. Then finish sanding them while still bolted together. Because it looks REALLY dumb if one scale is 1/32" longer or a slightly different shape than the other...

In on three, cause it's the place to be.

To summarize...
nipples + metal flake = bad
dex's new sheath = good
I'm behind on the Tradewater Retirement Plan.

I wish I had something profound to contribute, but I got nothin'.

Last edited:
heard that the cool kids hang around on this page. In on tres.

So coming home from work today (actually early too, about 2 hours) while on the way I noticed one of my favorite outfitters is closing one of their stores. So, I stopped in and they were at the 70% off stage, most of the stuff had been closed out already. I did get me an orange shemagh
IMG_20140911_131312.jpg

and one of those collapsible shi**er shovels. Grand total spent was $15. I figured I made out like a bandit.

WW: the disc part can be very useful for things like grinding square edges....kinda like what I did to your Machax. Done almost completely with the disc. Plus the disc has a pre-built-in vac port.

Awesome stuff, that thing turned out excellent! And since you call it "my" machax... Any chance she is coming home??? :D -joke

In addition to squaring things (or 45'ing them or whatever) , after the scales are drilled to fit the tang and roughly ground to shape, I bolt 'em together and use the disk/tool rest to make sure the fronts of them line up/match. Then finish sanding them while still bolted together. Because it looks REALLY dumb if one scale is 1/32" longer or a slightly different shape than the other...

Sweet!! Id rather not try and use the same belts i grind with on wood so for now ill use the sanding disc and a dremel drum sander when its time for me to play with handle scales!!

Dex that is some fabulous looking leatherwork bro!!

And i just got some Fabulous looking kydex work in myself!! JD even added a sweet skull lanyard!! JD you have a gift bro, this thing is awesome. Thanks again!

15187287796_55f5f9b25e.jpg

Sexy sheath Dex!

I'm currently 5 years behind on the Trade retirement plan. Granted my children haven't started driving or gone to university / college (their RESP should cover that). 55 and I should be able to retire comfortably :thumbup: 24 more years to go :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back