Skinna Skinna, Chicken Dinna

That's gonna be a beautiful piece, that burl has great figure to it.

If by "fun one" you mean "Insane RPM's of puckering fear", then I agree:D.

Yes major pucker factor. :D One small mistake with a tool not only do you ruin the piece you get pieces flying in every direction. :eek:

Yes major pucker factor. :D One small mistake with a tool not only do you ruin the piece you get pieces flying in every direction. :eek:

You're a braver man than I Scott, lathes scare the hell out of me!

Something I've been working on while the skinna is in the oven. It might be out of my league but I'm gonna give an antler handle a shot. Some leather, maybe micarta, I'm thinking nickel guard on this one.

Oh that is going to be nice! :thumbup:

Thanks gents, it looks great in my mind, we'll see. Even working at my lightning speed of cold molasses, it should get into a deer this year.

Been working on the guard for the skinna, trying to figure an arrangement for the spacers. I have a tough time with that, it sounds simple, but I get consumed in the battle between sequence, randomness, and proportion.

Thanks gents, it looks great in my mind, we'll see. Even working at my lightning speed of cold molasses, it should get into a deer this year.

Been working on the guard for the skinna, trying to figure an arrangement for the spacers. I have a tough time with that, it sounds simple, but I get consumed in the battle between sequence, randomness, and proportion.

I have the Scagel book by Dr. James Lucie and I get a lot of my ideas for spacer patterns there, I also look at Behring Made and Treeman Knives they hundreds of examples of spacer patterns to get good ideas from. I don't copy what they're doing but I do use some spacer pattern ideas for my Scagel style knives.

Thanks Scott, I'll look into that book. I've looked at so many pictures but I can't put my finger on what it is about the ones that I like.

It's like some of those old Scagels have a perfect randomness that's pleasing to the eye. Maybe it's one of those things that trying too hard doesn't work, hmm less is more?;)

Fitting the guard. Narrow so it doesn't get in the way but tall enough to give some protection.

Thanks Scott, I'll try to get better pictures up when I get closer.

Can I ask your opinion on the tang width at the shoulders and the shoulders themselves? No 90's and I tried to leave enough meat on the bone.

I keep them as beefy at the guard junction as I can, and I do make mine some what square but I make sure my tang is still beefier than where my plunge line starts. I know that square shoulders can cause stress risers in a blade. But if your tang shoulder still has more steal than where your plunge line starts than your tang is still stronger than where your plunge line starts because you simply have more steel there. I know some guys also reduce the thickness of tang as well to get a good guard fit but I do not I keep mine full thickness. I have an old scab knife I made several years ago that I keep in my shop made the same way as in the photo, it's a 4" drop point hunter that has seen better days, it is made of 3/16" ATS34 HRc-59-60. I clamped that knife in my vice so almost the entire blade was in the vise including the plunge line so that only a 1/4" of the blade from the handle was sticking out and I pushed and I pulled on it as hard as I could and repeated that several time and the results were alway the same, not only could I not break the blade I could barely even flex the blade, I'm 5'11'' and about 280# I think I could probably stand on it with out it breaking. If I left 2" of the blade then I might be able to break it. The photo has 4 arrows pointing to where I think the blade might break. For the record this is purely my opinion someone could come along at any time and tell me I'm full of it and thats fine with me.

You're a braver man than I Scott, lathes scare the hell out of me!

Something I've been working on while the skinna is in the oven. It might be out of my league but I'm gonna give an antler handle a shot. Some leather, maybe micarta, I'm thinking nickel guard on this one.

This tang is plenty wide and thick, this will never break at the guard. If some one breaks a blade off on a high quality knife there either using a knife that too small for the task at hand or they're maybe doing something they shouldn't be doing.

Thanks for taking the time to post that Scott, that makes good sense, great looking grinds by the way:thumbup:

Edit to add:. Just saw that last post, that's what I'm aiming for, to err on the side of overkill.

Thank you, between fishing and doing maintenance on the boat I haven't getting much shop time in, I have been tinkering around with some leather working tools for some sheaths i'll be making pretty soon.

I'm terrible at time management in the summer, too many things goin on at once. Way more shop time in the winter!

Fishing starts winding down for me in September, I don't bow hunt I only gun hunt for deer so it gives me more time to fool around in the shop.

I haven't been out for deer since I had little ones. Need to get out this year.

My brother is big into bow hunting and has killed a lot of huge bucks in his day, 3 over 160 and one that grosses in the 190s. Heres an older photo he gotten several more after this photo was taken.

I'd say! There are some beasts in there.
That second from the left on the bottom is wild. Looks like he tried to fork on the left and grow two beams on the right!

Back