Skinna Skinna, Chicken Dinna

That bowl was beautiful Scott, I really like how you turned that, really classy piece.

Im gonna cut up some blackwood spacers, I might try to take a sliver off of one of those pieces of mesquite and trythat out. Those are such nice pieces im afraid cut into them!

That bowl was beautiful Scott, I really like how you turned that, really classy piece.

Im gonna cut up some blackwood spacers, I might try to take a sliver off of one of those pieces of mesquite and trythat out. Those are such nice pieces im afraid cut into them!

Thanks Bubba, the mesquite cuts really well and I also have more.

Workin on spacer layout and fitted the leather.

Made a Blackwood spacer and a Mesquite one, I'll try to get some pictures up, which say you Scott? The Blackwood with the maroon spacers looks dark and rich, the mesquite has great figure but wont contrast with the leather as much. Its only about 1/4" thick, but I think depending on which, it will set the overall tone of the whole knife differently (I know that sounds lame:rolleyes:, but my mind is a strange place).

Workin on spacer layout and fitted the leather.

Made a Blackwood spacer and a Mesquite one, I'll try to get some pictures up, which say you Scott? The Blackwood with the maroon spacers looks dark and rich, the mesquite has great figure but wont contrast with the leather as much. Its only about 1/4" thick, but I think depending on which, it will set the overall tone of the whole knife differently (I know that sounds lame:rolleyes:, but my mind is a strange place).

That's okay Johnny, it's one of the reasons I like you. :rolleyes: I think the Black wood will look better and contrast with the leather best. I think you're right on the mesquite, it would tend to blend more so than contrast.

Blackwood it is, good pick:thumbup:
Butt end will be more subtle. Less junk in the trunk:D

Diggin' this thread...
:thumbup:
I can dig it, he can dig it, she can dig it, we can dig it......:D
[video=youtube;nNI27KOQoF4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNI27KOQoF4[/video]
Say that three times fast. Hell, I can't say it once!

Theres a handle in there somewhere. Have faith:p

Got some whittling to do.
The compressed leather burns quick on a belt even at slow speeds.
Draw knife, pocket knife, and some sandpaper shoeshining will get her done.

Looks horrible at this stage, but it gives an idea of the spacers.
Going for a finer look towards the rear and bolder up front.
The alternating thicknesses in the leather looks interesting so far.
Theres 62 pieces seperate pieces counting the blade.

Holy Sheet Batman! :eek: That's gonna look awesome! :thumbup:

Sounds like were on the right track then!:thumbup:

Well I spent plenty of time on the wrong side of 'em!
All this track talk calls for:
[video=youtube;WrhAC0dFis0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrhAC0dFis0[/video]

Guard and front spacers are attached. Need to get the back of the pommel final shaped and polished out.

I had a difficult time researching methods for what I wanted to do when it came to peened tangs, a lot of information out there, but it all seemed very vague. I'm gonna try to go into as much detail as possible in this step. Maybe it will help someone learn what to do, or maybe what not to do, but this is how I do things. Suggestions, comments, or anything are welcome. I know I'm not the only guy who gleaned tons of information from thousands of threads where makers tried to break down their process. Maybe someone will come across this thread and pick up a little nugget that will help them. I'll try to add pics as I go.

To start off with, the slot in the pommel is cut to match the tang as close as possible. After it's fit well enough to slide all the way on, I take it off and use around a 5/16" modified punch that's convexed and the edges rounded off to peen the back side around the slot to close it up just a tiny bit so I have to tap it down over the tang. Overkill yes because the tang is going to be peened over it, but it helps keep everything (leather and spacers) snug as I go.

I should have this step posted in a few days, and will continue with boring details that most of you will want to glance over, but someone one day might find that nugget.

Oh for crying out loud just finish it already.......:D

Ha, give me another 24 hours in a day and you get a deal!

I can always put on a nice duct tape handle and ship her out!:D

From .110" to .170" after peening.
I finish getting the ends flush with the small punch pictured and I think it left a nice finish.

Ear plugs being the most important thing, a couple of hours of little taps will drive you nuts!

Last edited:
Back