Sledge Hammers!

Sorry,it's not.It is a set-hammer,used for shouldering.

I've never heard that coppersmiths have different names for their tools.Looks like a common raising hammer.Suitable for raising or setting down any metal worked in like fashion.
OK, I'm not the expert. When looking I googled coppersmith hammer and all the image results were hammers like these. Also, that looked like a flatter to me and Miriam Webster calls a set hammer a flatter. So I guess I was misled.

OK, I'm not the expert. When looking I googled coppersmith hammer and all the image results were hammers like these. Also, that looked like a flatter to me and Miriam Webster calls a set hammer a flatter. So I guess I was misled.
That is surprising. It is a set hammer and a nice one.

Yes,there's somewhat of a confusion with terms:"Set" can be used as a general term for any Set-,or Struck tool;but also (as in this case) for a tool that is used to Set the steel Down in an abrupt,localised manner.

The difference would be that the Set-hammer's face is small and concentrated,limited in it's area in order to transfer the impact of the blow.

Conversely,a flatter is extended into a wide flange covering a large area,that's so that the impact gradually lessens and dissipates toward the edges,it is that which allows the "flatting" blows to blend together to create a continuous surface,or the edges will mar the work.

(i'm not an expert either....the more time one puts in at the anvil the less of an expert one becomes.....:)

Yes,there's somewhat of a confusion with terms:"Set" can be used as a general term for any Set-,or Struck tool;but also (as in this case) for a tool that is used to Set the steel Down in an abrupt,localised manner.

The difference would be that the Set-hammer's face is small and concentrated,limited in it's area in order to transfer the impact of the blow.

Conversely,a flatter is extended into a wide flange covering a large area,that's so that the impact gradually lessens and dissipates toward the edges,it is that which allows the "flatting" blows to blend together to create a continuous surface,or the edges will mar the work.

(i'm not an expert either....the more time one puts in at the anvil the less of an expert one becomes.....:)
That makes sense to me.

What would be your best guess on who made that power kraft cross pien?
I don't know if Montgomery Wards had a database for who produced their Powr Kraft tools.
Wrenches and stuff are often distinctive, but hammers can often look the same.
Not saying you could never identify it, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

38835288340_5604a49a8f_b.jpg

On the subject of "Aux Forges De Vulcain", here's a catalog from them, dated 1931, but I didn't see the same hammer listed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B__hVyYAqWwVNkhZb0VJYzdHOU0/view

It's fascinating what was still being produced in 1931. I especially like the wooden shoe carving tools, page 31.

Check out the table saw in the middle of page 43. That thing looks dangerous as hell!

bn0MPCE.jpg

decided to fix up my forging hammer, it's been in the elements for months so i sanded the handle and gave it some oil, i then wire brushed the head, flattened the face then rounded it over. does anyone recognize this pattern? it's not a ground down rail chisel, too thick for that. it weighs roughly 5 pounds and the peen has a convex taper to a flat point

bn0MPCE.jpg

decided to fix up my forging hammer, it's been in the elements for months so i sanded the handle and gave it some oil, i then wire brushed the head, flattened the face then rounded it over. does anyone recognize this pattern? it's not a ground down rail chisel, too thick for that. it weighs roughly 5 pounds and the peen has a convex taper to a flat point
I swear, at 5lb that looks like nothing if not a rail or cold chisel. I'll be curious to learn what else it could be.

bn0MPCE.jpg

Is it a Hubbard? I have one the same pattern and it is marked Hubbard special.

Back