Slip-joint ?

Sal,
Would it be possible for us to get some details at this time? Or is it too early in the planning stages yet? Blade length/shape, handle material?

Paul

Hi Paul. It's pretty early to say much. It's a small model (2" blade).

I can say the proto is very convenient to use.

sal

A 2.9" model would RULE!!!!

W.A.

------------------
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!
Founding president and member number 1! Wana join?

Mr Glesser,
The slip joint, especially at a 2" size sounds awesome. Spyderco makes some of the best smaller knives that act like big knives (Napoleon Complex????). Anyway, this sounds like an awesome addition! I can't wait!
Matt the Jazzman

How would a Dyad Jr. work without the lock? It seems like it might be good starting point.

Looking forward to seeing what you come with.

Mike

Sal showed me the slip joint proto today. Very useful, quick opening Spydie Hole, ergonomic handle!
Should be a must have, great airline travel, around the sheeple knife.
John

------------------
A day without Spydies is like a day without ... WELL, Spydies!!!

Sal,
2" blade sounds just right. Keep the whole knife SMALL! Come on Sal or somebody, please tease us with a proto photo!

Yeah, com on, let us see a pic please, please please
smile.gif
Just what we need for the Uk. No rush, just as soon as you can please
biggrin.gif

------------------
"There is no reality, only perception"

It would be nice to carry a knife, legaly!

ANYWHERE!

Not that I break the law... But I ONLY carry for work!
wink.gif

W.A.

------------------
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!
Founding president and member number 1! Wana join?

What would you call a Spyderco slip joint knife? One hand open. 2" blade. Navigator pattern with inlay.

It should be polically correct anywhere in the world (except schools & courtrooms).

sal

Sal,

I would call it time to get back to work on the Salsa
tongue.gif

Actually I think it's a great idea. Not my personal choice for an EDC right now, but it would be one that would be added to my collection in case the need arises to carry one. Might be nice for my more dressy attire, that is rarely ever seen, to not have a pocket clip hanging off of it. It would also be useful around some of the campus people that fear
rolleyes.gif
something as viscious as my Calypso, Jr. that I sometimes use.

Sal,
I'd call it the Citizen, a kind of go anywhere knife. As people say "law abiding citizen". Sattchi and Sattchi would have charged you a fortune for that...
smile.gif

Would people confuse it with the Civillian...
I think not!

It may be a bit urban though, i.e. people from the city are citizens, people from the country are...
a bit more individual.
tongue.gif

Iain

------------------
"I'm arm'd with more than complete steel - The justice of my quarrel." Christopher Marlowe

[This message has been edited by Sgian Dubh (edited 03-17-2001).]

Sgian Dubh has a good one, "Citizen" would be a great name for it. Now if we only knew what it looked like......

Paul

No more ideas? Come on guys, Sal is looking for inspiration and/or creativity here.

Given it's a 2" slip joint maybe we should call it the Budhist?
biggrin.gif

SD

Since the niche for this Spyderco seems to be legality, especially for airlines, I tried to come up with some names that implied travel, and also had an innocuous image. Here are some, with their pros and cons.

My favorite one--
Spyderco Slip Stream-This has air travel connections and is also a play on words with slip joint. It also sounds "cool" without implying any kind of dangerous intent.

Jet Steam-This also works, but doesn't have the slip joint implications.

Some others--

Flyer-Also makes people think about flight/travel. There's already a knife out there called the Frequent Flyer though, so I don't know.

Charter-Has flight and travel connotations, but also refers to law(s) which also connects with this knife.

Concourse-Travel/airport connotations, but also refers to crowds (as in not standing out in a crowd).

Pilgrimor Pilgrimage-Not my favorite, but does have an innocent travel theme. Also makes Americans think about people in shoes with buckles and funny hats, which is why it's not my favorite.

Courier-Has travel and airline connections, and I like the sound of it. Unfortunately it may have some bad vibes since it is so frequently connected with the word DRUG these days. I do like the sound of it though.

Rambler and Rover also come to mind, but I have a vague feeling they have been used before. I can't remember specifics at the moment though. Otherwise I think they might be good names, though Rover has some canine connections.

That's what I've come up with off the top of my head. Sal, what is the inlay going to be? If that has been decided it may also inspire some names.

Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul Davidson (edited 03-20-2001).]

I too would like to see a pic of the proto. Here are a few names off the top of my head:
1. Wayfarer
2. Globetrotter
3. Traveler
4. Tag Along
5. Nomad
6. Wanderer
7. Vagabond
I think all those pretty much go with the "take it anywhere" theme. Of course, I like the "Citizen" and "Slip Stream" also.

"Free-range" and I don't mean a chicken
smile.gif
but I do mean free to move about with it because it will be legal to do so.

Whether anyone likes the suggestion or not, I certainly feel the name needs to be non aggressive.

------------------
"There is no reality, only perception"

I like the sound of Citizen; it fits with the Police, Rookie, Military, Civilian theme that Spyderco already has.

Traveller is cool, too.

How about:
a. Spyderco Airport Special?
b. Twofer

OK. Those are weak. Go with Citizen!

Dean

Back