Small cheap fix blade recommendation

Another vote for Mora.

Not the sexiest pick in the thread but great bang for the buck.

One of the first things I remember reading when I first joined this forum was how Mora was the knife that all the woodsmen took along as a backup to their big, expensive knives. Then the Mora got used for all the work while the super knives sat idle. Why not start out where you are going to end up anyway.
Light, cheap, and easy to have around.

I've always had my eye on the becker necker and remora... I really need to add them both to my collection

One of the first things I remember reading when I first joined this forum was how Mora was the knife that all the woodsmen took along as a backup to their big, expensive knives. Then the Mora got used for all the work while the super knives sat idle. Why not start out where you are going to end up anyway.
Light, cheap, and easy to have around.
No question about that but I just find them totally boring. Been reading this thread.... For me, I would look for a modest fixed blade along the lines of a (discontinued) Becker BK-15 for general purposes in the woods. The Buck 192 would be a good choice. There are many. The thing to pay attention to is the game processing chore and adjust the knife size to fit that and perhaps more tasks in the woods.

No question about that but I just find them totally boring. Been reading this thread.... For me, I would look for a modest fixed blade along the lines of a (discontinued) Becker BK-15 for general purposes in the woods. The Buck 192 would be a good choice. There are many. The thing to pay attention to is the game processing chore and adjust the knife size to fit that and perhaps more tasks in the woods.
Yeah, many people on here will tell you that Mora is all the knife you will ever need. And tell you how cheap they are and how many of them they bought...
I have nothing against Mora, but I was also adviced to carry one as EDC, and considering their handle and sheath design it's impossible to conceal.
And I second that the Mora design just isn't it for me.

So, yeah, Mora isn't all the knife you can ever need, there are cases when something else is more appropriate for the job.

Back