Small hand tools you carry

Got these #424 ignition pliers in yesterday from HJE, and I'm going to try carrying them and see how they work out.

I have a set of those. Very well made. But I find I very rarely need them. They are a tool that when you need them nothing else works. If you know what I mean. Worth owning, but not something I’d edc. As I previously posted the next size up I cannot live without.

I’m interested to see what you end up using those ones for and if you find them useful.

I have a set of those. Very well made. But I find I very rarely need them. They are a tool that when you need them nothing else works. If you know what I mean. Worth owning, but not something I’d edc. As I previously posted the next size up I cannot live without.

I’m interested to see what you end up using those ones for and if you find them useful.
I'll be interested as to find out as well.
Mostly bought them to go in my 1/4 drive kit, but figured I'd try carrying them for a while and see how it goes.

Do you use it very often? And if so, what for? I don't have the need for such a thing in my pocket all the time.

I wouldn't consider that the kind of real hand tool I had in mind for this thread ( I'm talking actual tools by tool manufacturers, and not pocket gadgets by knife companies...ect ) but the little Dasco pry bar I carry does come in handy.
From opening paint or stain in the shop to occasional staple removal of light prying / lifting task at work, a small tool you can lift or pry with and avoid misusing a knife is a good thing.
There's a reason tools like the old proto keychain driver or old Sears 4 way have been around so long.

The little pry bar on my keys gets used a lot more than I ever thought it would. Paint cans, swollen basement windows, stubborn furnace doors, things I used to try to use my screw driver for, the pry bar is much better. The big advantage is it stops me from using my knife to pry with.

At work I always have an 11 in one screwdriver, flashlight, and a 4" adjustable wrench in my jean pockets. In my shirt pockets I carry a note pad, ink pen, fine tip sharpie, and a non-contact voltage sensor.
If I'm not at work I'll have a multi tool on my belt or in a pack along with a small light in my pocket. The small pry bars are interesting and I've tried several but never used them for much more than opening a beverage.

I'm curious how you carry those.

here is the ocidental leather sheath. I had to cut off the metal hammer loop. It was banging into stuff.
view

It has a big pouch behind the knife I leave it empty mostly and use it for whatever tool I’m using for a specific task.

Last edited:
The little Dasco bonus pry bar was replaced by a current Vaughan / Dasco version of this.

But I discovered these and never looked back, they're one of the best $5, you'll ever spend if you ask me.

Having the pry bar on one end and wide flat scraper on one end makes it such a versatile tool and I use it way more than I ever used the others I used to carry at work.

Last edited:
I bought this old stock WF / Craftsman 4" adjustable a while back because it has a larger capacity, but it ended up relegated to carry it in my pocket when I'm riding my mini bike only.

My particular MAC AW4 ( they changed over the years) is already a little larger than the typical 4" adjustable used to be with a 5/8" jaw capacity, but this WF is very large for a 4" adjustable and only has an 11/16 jaw capacity.

That extra 1/16 does make a difference but it's not a very efficient tool, the head is just way too large for such a minor gain in size.
The MAC is way more efficient, it's overall size increase is not so drastic but it definitely has a larger jaw capacity.

L-R. DCH Diamalloy, MAC, WF.

I just ordered this VIM Tools RBF400K, locking flex head version of my reverse gear bit ratchet to try out. ( it's got the Topeak style internals with T handle pass through feature )

It's a simplification of the FACOM / TOPTUL / USAG version which have a fancier handle design.
This version was first offered by WURTH in Germany, then DEAN in Japan and KS tool in the UK.
Now we have this more affordable version available in the US.
Frankly I don't want a whole kit nor do I want to pay up for a more premium name on the same tool, so I'm glad VIM has decided to start importing them

Stubby adjustable wrench (and Olight AAA flashlight).

tabQufw.jpg

Adjustable pliers, Wiha micro driver and bits.

wbPfyoI.jpg

On my "keyring" (I don't have, or need, many keys. Motorcycle keys are separate) I have a 7/16" wrench that I cut and drilled, and in the little capsule is a Philips head micro bit that I use to tighten the screws in my sunglasses (more convenient than pulling out the bit driver from my boot). As for the wrench, I make my own leather motorcycle bags, and when it's a storage bag that I'm not going into regularly, I use a 1/4" bolt with acorn nut as a closure device to prevent "curiosity" and casual theft. The little wrench on my keyring is for accessing those bags (one example pictured below).

4RZavIQ.jpg

63Rjy5I.jpg

I always feel a sense of satisfaction and validation when one of the tools I carry everyday proves valuable. I was out one night last week when I noticed one of the mirrors on my bike swiveling back and forth. The lock nut at the base of the mirror stem had worked loose. No problem, I just pulled out my adjustable wrench and tightened it :cool:.

Last edited:
I always feel a sense of satisfaction and validation when one of the tools I carry everyday proves valuable. I was out one night last week when I noticed one of the mirrors on my bike swiveling back and forth. The lock nut at the base of the mirror stem had worked loose. No problem, I just pulled out my adjustable wrench and tightened it :cool:.
Reminds me of a situation a few months back.

I was doing some trail hopping on the new bt200x mini bike and the little hex bolt had come off the kill switch ground wire.
Pulled out my 4" adjustable, fixed it, and was on my way.

I don’t carry all of this everyday or all day long and sometimes only a few of them. But when I know I’m going out to make some adjustments, minor repairs or maintenance I’ll grab these to take along and usually I can get the job done without having to return to the tool chest. This is probably my most used tools assortment on the job site.

Attachments

• 63F418CD-7113-4F06-BA50-80011BB21BA4.jpeg
    63F418CD-7113-4F06-BA50-80011BB21BA4.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 27
Back