Small head hatchets/tomahawks

Hey guys , I can't Thank-you enough for contributing to this thread . I've started a new job , so I haven't visited in a while. Those pics are awesome. And the information you guys supply has advanced my axe knowledge considerably. I can't get over your hardware !!

Here in Canada , at Lee Valley Tools , the Gransfors Mini is $157 . I'd rather stick with my 13" Wetterlings. It's not bad; I picked one with a flawless handle , but it's a wee bit heavy. Even my modified Estwing is lighter. Horace Kephart's writings have been my inspiration on Woodcraft , since I discovered the ( by accident ) over 10 years ago.

DSCN0117.jpg

My firekit and New Wetterlings Wildlife hatchet.

axe.jpg

My Estwing camper's hatchet. I ground about 1/2 " off the top , and about the same off the poll.

Last edited:
I'd rather stick with my 13" Wetterlings. It's not bad; I picked one with a flawless handle , but it's a wee bit heavy.

Nice choice. I do not think anyone on here will knock that selection. Wetterlings are well-built, hold an edge very well, and have solid handles. Plus, you were able to hand pick an axe and select the best handle. That is great.

For something small, pretty, sharp, and cheap, Marble's Arms imports reproductions of their Safety Axe, Small Belt Axe and other old pattern, including a double-bit. I have bigger hatchets and axes, but these are the smallet I have seen. Anybody else make a distinction between hatchet and hand axe? I think of a hatchet as having a hammer poll and a hand axe as looking like a miniature Michigan or Dayton axe head.

I have several reproductions of old Marble's hand axes, including a Marble's Hunter's Axe No. 9 DB (double-bit) which looks exactly like a picture of Kephart's hand axe in his book. He says his is the same as Nesmuk's.

Hey guys , I can't Thank-you enough for contributing to this thread . I've started a new job , so I haven't visited in a while. Those pics are awesome. And the information you guys supply has advanced my axe knowledge considerably. I can't get over your hardware !!

Here in Canada , at Lee Valley Tools , the Gransfors Mini is $157 . I'd rather stick with my 13" Wetterlings. It's not bad; I picked one with a flawless handle , but it's a wee bit heavy. Even my modified Estwing is lighter. Horace Kephart's writings have been my inspiration on Woodcraft , since I discovered the ( by accident ) over 10 years ago.

DSCN0117.jpg

My firekit and New Wetterlings Wildlife hatchet.

axe.jpg

My Estwing camper's hatchet. I ground about 1/2 " off the top , and about the same off the poll.

Back