Small Sebenza, Q’s on action & liner lock.

My friend stops by and she has a pocket knife...I immediately take it from her for sharpening. What she thinks is a $20 folder is a small Sebenza.

It’s a mess so, I refurbish...clean, sharpen, oil and assemble.

Two questions:
1: The action is poor. The two screw near the pivot cannot even be snug for it to operate. I’ve had a few knives like this and some locktite usually holds a loose screw.
Question is I don’t have any experience with CRK. My PM2 flicks open quicker than 1/2 a heartbeat and my Benchmade 940 has NO resistance...none. Hold axis lock and gravity will open or close...no resistance. What is the Sebenza like?

2nd Q: the frame lock or liner lock or w/e you call the release; sticks hard.
It needs a light filing to not stick. This lock release takes a strong thumb to break it loose from its position in order to close the blade.

It is now assembled and honed but I don’t want to return it to a lady in this state.

Also, I didn’t add locktite yet or file the frame-to-blade impingement.

Does CRK offer restoration (of a perfectly clean and wickedly sharp but poorly functioning knife)?

https://imgur.com/a/4vGKFpp

Any comments are appreciated.

Last edited:
Also help uploading a photo from an iPad would help, I clicked advanced in a diff thread and added media before but it seems missing in this one?

4vGKFpp

Last edited:
Also help uploading a photo from an iPad would help, I clicked advanced in a diff thread and added media before but it seems missing in this one?
Use a 3rd party site like Imgur, then post the pics from there.

I am with bart1 on this. Looks like 1998 vintage with BG42 blade... Note the stamped B98, old style pocket clip etc. I wouldn't be taking a file to that. Send it in for a factory refresh. Well worth the time and cost.

Holy what in the dirt-stained grease-soaked rotting-washer stripped-screws ruined-pivot sticky-lockbar left-in-the-tool-drawer-in-the-garage-by-my-great-uncle-billy-the-kid-for-10-years-in-the-pouring-rain tried-to-put-a-reverse-tanto-on-the-blade-and-broke-all-the-sharpmaker-stones bullshit is THAT? Behold ladies and gentlemen the personal pocket knife of fuckin Frankenstein himself! Holy sweet Jesus looks like something I'd find described as "like-new" on Ebay. Send that thing to CRK ASAP I beg you.

I would echo what others have said already ... send it to CRK for a spa treatment and any repairs needed ...

If it is a legitimate Sebenza they will probably fix you up ... but I'm not seeing any pictures so I can't say.

My friend stops by and she has a pocket knife...I immediately take it from her for sharpening. What she thinks is a $20 folder is a small Sebenza.

It’s a mess so, I refurbish...clean, sharpen, oil and assemble.

Two questions:
1: The action is poor. The two screw near the pivot cannot even be snug for it to operate. I’ve had a few knives like this and some locktite usually holds a loose screw.
Question is I don’t have any experience with CRK. My PM2 flicks open quicker than 1/2 a heartbeat and my Benchmade 940 has NO resistance...none. Hold axis lock and gravity will open or close...no resistance. What is the Sebenza like?

2nd Q: the frame lock or liner lock or w/e you call the release; sticks hard.
It needs a light filing to not stick. This lock release takes a strong thumb to break it loose from its position in order to close the blade.

It is now assembled and honed but I don’t want to return it to a lady in this state.

Also, I didn’t add locktite yet or file the frame-to-blade impingement.

Does CRK offer restoration (of a perfectly clean and wickedly sharp but poorly functioning knife)?

https://imgur.com/a/4vGKFpp

Any comments are appreciated.

I enjoy sharpening my blades regularly. I carry the PM2 daily for a decade having tried $3k worth of others. I also often carry a $14 moraniv because I can hammer, drop, use and quickly resharpen...and still a $14 knife greatly outperforms my overhyped BRKT or Fiddleback fixed blades by far! (Excuse the off topic complaining ;)

Send it to CRK and they will make it good as new.

DO NOT file or mess with the lockup. CRK carburizes their lockbar lockfaces so you will literally destroy the knife if you do so.

Thanks for all the answers today. I’ll visit CRK website and send it.

..and aVyD aVyD lol, yep. belonged to a real dirtbag rancher, used for things like cutting calves and bailing...and who knows what else but ...he will never see it again.

..and aVyD aVyD lol, yep. belonged to a real dirtbag rancher, used for things like cutting calves and bailing...and who knows what else but ...he will never see it again.
Lol, how did she come to posses that $20 knife ?

Coming from a former cattle rancher, sounds like that knife lived a great "first" life and was used for it's intended purpose. Definitely send it in to CRK and let them do their magic so it can enjoy it's second life.

This knife will make fantastic before and after pics!!

....and how come I never seem to land any of these $20 specials? :D

Lol, how did she come to posses that $20 knife ?

Funny thing is... no one in the loop of owners seemed to know that this knife was anything more than a $20 folder. I saw the logo straight away and was in a sort of disbelief...we live in the middle of nowhere and there def. isn’t a place to purchase something like this within a day’s drive. Guns, yes.

Someone in her fam tossed it on the counter and says...as long as your bailing you should have a knife on you.
There aren’t $300 knife ppl in this county so I can’t figure this one out either...and since she’s been harping on me for buying more (Arno Bernard, Bark River, Will Dutton, LT Wright, Bradford) in June/July trying to replace my Spyderco PM2 with a fixed blade after hurting my hand.. plus making each one a nice horizontal carry sheath then she walks in with this CRK worth more than each without any idea what it is....???? Go figure.

The guy who gave it to her carries a crkt free marketing swag folder that he wrote his ranch’s brand on with a gel pen. lol.

B buckeyejake I like the suggestion of a new delica in the mean time.

I’ll try and get my act together to be able to post photos and participate better in your forum. I’m a woodworker who occasionally sells stabilized burl blanks, which I have have a literal ton of.

This brings back memories . Cutting hogs with several neighbors. No razor knives.
Pocket knives were the rule .As a boy , these men found out i could put a shaving edge on a blade.
Please take pictures and more pictures. I believe i would try to buy it . Like i said a delica in her
favorite color and a little cash . Please keep us informed.

Jake

Back