Small Thermos

I wanted a small thermos to carry a cup of soup. I bought a 10 oz Thermos .This has a gasket on the top , easy to remove and clean. But the gasket on the upper edge of the bottom is apparently glued in . After first use I now have a gasket smelling of a spicy soup and not capable to clean.
Can you tell me a brand that can be cleaned and sanitized easily ?

Soaking a number of hours in hot water, baking soda and peroxide seems to have removed the smell !

I've had good luck with the insulated Klean Kanteen products. I can carry one in my pack while hiking or hunting with confidence it won't leak and will keep my drink warm.

Sounds like we have the same one. Its dishwasher safe. If it can get rid of coconut Thai chicken curry, your soup smell will come out!

I have a couple Yeti thermoses that I like real well. Pretty close to zero maintenance. About the only thing it the mouth opening is a hair too small for me to cram my hand down in there if I have to deep scrub but that's the only down side.

After 24 hour soak the gasket in the top has absorbed a bit of the soup smells and the bottom gasket even though not removable seems to be OK. I assume the rubber is silicone but in any case rubber can absorb smells And I have a very good sense of smell . Zojirushi , Thermos , KleanKanteen all have a gasket which I assume are all silicone rubber .There might be a difference in rubber compounding ! I'll keep the one I used for soup and a second I have just for coffee ! Thanks

Hydroflask 12 oz
610CQUoRUML._SY550_.jpg

IMG_2230.jpg Check ouy the Nissan JNL 350ml Thermos. They also make a 500ml size.

Anyone contemplating a Yeti product should always first look at RTIC. Just as good for a fraction of the price.

And on a forum where knockoffs are shunned and hated......people suggest RTIC

Excepting RTIC is every bit as good as Yeti at a fraction (one-half) the price.

To be fair, do you accuse Yeti of being a knockoff of Pelican (the first rotomolded coolers)?

That said there are many products which perform as good as Yeti's at a fraction of the price. Yeti did not invent what they sell and use no magic in their production. Some people are willing to pay for the name on the product. Some are not.

I have Pelicans, 1 cooler and several insulated cups. The cooler is larger than a comparable Yeti and doesn't keep ice longer than a Yeti.

Their insulated cups, well, suck. I had one rust on me for leaving water in overnight and the first night I had one I dropped a lid and it broke on a tile floor. I have a Yeti Lowballer at work that I use for coffee, pretty much never clean the thing and it's never rusted, neither have any other of my Yeti cups and the cold/heat retaining ability on the Yeti are much better than the Pelicans.

You can improve on a design, I don't have an issue with that. But when a company like RTIC who spent basically $0 on research and development, comes out with a name similar to YETI with products that look 100% like Yeti, they're a shameless knockoff.

For a lot of people a knockoff Spyderco, Hinderer, Medford will cut just as well as the real thing, so why spend the $$ in a real thing? Because knockoffs/fakes suck

Hydroflask 12 oz
610CQUoRUML._SY550_.jpg
I had thought about getting this one based on how much I like their 22 oz. drink containers. Contents stay hot/cold for a very long time, easy to clean, seem well constructed.

I've been using the same Thermos Element 5 for over 10 years now. Seals are removable. No rust. I've left stuff in it for over a year and cleaned it out with boiling water.

And on a forum where knockoffs are shunned and hated......people suggest RTIC

I could be wrong, but who invented what? Insulated tumblers have been around a lot longer than Yeti. (2006) I read a couple of tests if various insulated tumblers. The one that came out on top was Walmart's Ozark Trail 30-Ounce.

Yeti is also made in China. I wouldn't be surprised if that were made in the same factory.

Yetis are overpriced as hell, I liken them to Apple. A bunch of people swearing they're the best things ever.

Yes, knockoff knives may cut as well as the real thing... in the beginning. You can't tell me a knockoff of a Hinderer has the same build quality, heat treatment, etc. and really can't compare a cup to a knife. As long as it keeps things hot or cold as long, what else is there? Dent resistance? There's really very little to skimp on with a insulated tumbler.

That being said, my vote is for Hydroflask. Keeps ice in water all day long, keeps hot coffee hot enough that it still burns my mouth two hours later.

And yet the courts have allowed RTIC to keep on manufacturing and selling their products.

That said, many products perform as good as Yeti for a fraction of Yeti's prices.

http://thecoolerbox.com/coolers-like-yeti-but-cheaper/

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/02/03/yeti-and-local-cooler-competitor-rtic-settle.html

RTIC had to pay Yeti and cease sales of affected products. Checking their site, I'm still seeing a lot of the old copies so not sure if there's a date for that to go into effect, but I also see new products that RTIC didn't rip off from YETI

I could be wrong, but who invented what? Insulated tumblers have been around a lot longer than Yeti. (2006) I read a couple of tests if various insulated tumblers. The one that came out on top was Walmart's Ozark Trail 30-Ounce.

Yeti is also made in China. I wouldn't be surprised if that were made in the same factory.

Improvements happen with products. Knives made today aren't a rip off of someone 3,000 years ago. Not all vehicles are a rip off from a Model T. There's tons of ways RTIC could have developed an insulated cup, but they chose the knock off route and pretty much exactly copied a YETI, blatantly, they didn't even try to hide it.

In pretty much every aspect of knives and gear if someone rips off another's exact deign, sells it as their own, then bashes the people they copy, they would be laughed and shamed out of business. But since it's "just" an insulated cup or thermos, people don't care. Big double standard IMO.

Yetis are overpriced as hell, I liken them to Apple. A bunch of people swearing they're the best things ever.

Yes, knockoff knives may cut as well as the real thing... in the beginning. You can't tell me a knockoff of a Hinderer has the same build quality, heat treatment, etc. and really can't compare a cup to a knife. As long as it keeps things hot or cold as long, what else is there? Dent resistance? There's really very little to skimp on with a insulated tumbler.

To be fair, Microsoft sucks. I use windows 10 at work and it's constantly crashing, Linux and Apple are better solutions, it's just people are used to microsoft sucking so they're complacent and think crappy service is the normal.

Lots of things are "overpriced" as hell IMO, but it is what it is. How many millions did/does YETI spend in research and development to have their designs and styles ripped off by RTIC and good ol walmart hell?

As for the knockoff hinderer build quality, that remains to be seen hate to say. I've had very mixed results with their S35VN so maybe me mentioning a copy of their knife was a bad example.

But it's nice to see that people are angry over a knock off Hinderer and not a YETI

Yet RTIC is again selling their cups and coolers. Just as good performance as Yeti for a fraction of the price. Only the Yeti cultists need the Yeti logo.

That said, I'll still recommend the 12 oz Hydroflask for a small thermos.

610CQUoRUML._SY550_.jpg

Last edited:
Back