Snow

I rode today...happier for it and the weather is still gorgeous.

Well, it's melting here.

I noticed the flock of turkey were running down the center of the dirt road, following the tire tracks rather than get their feet in the wet muck by the side.

munk

Took off early an hour and a half today to just ride and take advantage of the nice weather...I ride year round unless there's snow or ice, but had to enjoy the sun while I had it.

It was awesome...

Weather's great here in Iowa. See how long that lasts. Maybe I'll fashion some snow shoes to get to class...

Nam

Weather- smeather. 25 seconds from my home and I was blasting away with a Ruger 480 and an AK 47 this evening.

There's Cougars in the woods, fishing all around, privacy, Deer, Elk, Antelope, and prarrie dogs.

That's worth an early November snow fall.

munk

Wood burning stoves...brings back memories. I remember living in one little house with a wood burning stove, it was great until about 3am when the fire died out and we froze for a few hours. Living in a tepee by myself, same thing. It was nice and toasty.. loved it. Inevitably, I would fall deep asleep only to have a rude and crude wake up everynight about 2 or 3 in the morning. I couldn't afford a sleeping bag back then, I had a few old blankets, I think one was a wool army blanket. I would warm up a rock by the fire and go to sleep with it. D&#$ it, it would get cold too. I remember the only source of warmth being the outline of the ground that I was sleeping on being a little comfort. Move a fragment of an inch in any direction, and the ground would be ice cold. I hope I didn't trim any years off my life with the hard living back then. They are cold, but fond memories.

SASSAS said:
Get a "My Cousin Vinny" suit...

He he he ...

A few years ago I got the word from on high that I looked a little too "rustic" for advancement in the corporate culture. I haven't changed my look much since then, but then again I have not advanced up the lader of corporate status either.

:D

must have been a small wood burning stove. The three I've had were large enough that you could stuff them to gills, get hot, and turn the flue all the way down. Burn all night. I usually light the morning fire with what's left in the stove.

munk

Yep, it was a small one. Not like the one where I grew up at my Grandmother's farm, it could singe your b&!@ hairs if you weren't careful. :)

Lion's Roar said:
Yep, it was a small one. Not like the one where I grew up at my Grandmother's farm, it could singe your b&!@ hairs if you weren't careful. :)

Back in about 1952 we lived in a trailer park in Hopkins Minnesota in a 28 foot Elcar trailer house, *not* a mobile home, and *not* a travel trailer, but a *real* trailer house as they were called back then.
The *septic system* for the kitchen sink was a couple of 55 gal drums buried at the side of the trailer.
We were hooked up to city water and had a coal oil burning stove for heat. IIRC the tiny, 10 gallon maybe, hot water tank was electric.
In those days there weren't any bathrooms inside a trailer house.
Before winter set in up there everyone built a frame around the bottom of their trailers and put masonite on the frame and then piled a mound of dirt all the way around the trailer with the exception of the front door where an enclosed porch was built to keep the very bitter cold out when the trailer door was opened.
Laundry was done at the *Wash House* where the bathrooms were located, mens on one side, womens on the other. The machines were the old wringer type.
If you had to use the bathroom you went to the wash house.
When you wanted to shower, at least once a week on Saturday nights, you went to the wash house.
In the men and boys side there was a *bare* coal oil heater like the ones in the trailer houses.
Bare because it didn't have the protective barrier around it that prevented folks from burning themselves.
The bathroom was quite large and with only the dinky little heater in there it was quite cold when the temp was -20 degrees.
Speaking of burning your b&!@ hairs!!!!:eek: :( :thumbdn:
I got out of the shower one evening and it was colder than all Billy' Hell and I was hurrying to dry off.
I was standing as close to the stove as possible because it didn't seem to be doing any good at all, that is until I bent over to dry my ankles and feet and stuck my bare b&!@ right on the side of that dayumed stove.
Instant 2nd degree burn and would've been worse if my reflexes hadn't stood me up immediately!
I had a deep blister the size of a man's hand print on my arse and carried a scar for many a year.
That stove was dinky but it would burn more than your b&!@ hair.:rolleyes: ;) :foot:

Those stoves could be filled by pouring oil into a reservoir in the stove but in Minnesota and anywhere else it was really cold in the winter they burned too much oil to keep up with that way.
We had a large tank rented set by the side of the trailer behind the enclosed porch with a direct line to the stove.
Dayum but it was cold there, worse than Montana I think because it was a wet cold.
When we lived in Montana in 1947 the fresh snow was so dry that you had to pour water on it to make a snowball, it just wouldn't pack, don't know how it is now nor do I ever want to find out.;) :D

Yvsa said:
First snow, first snow snakes of the season.:thumbdn: :rolleyes: :p ;) :eek:

Dave Hahn said:
snow what? is that like like desert seaweed?

Yvsa, being an elder and a man of nature, is aware of things that many are not.

Not many know of the snow snake these days. They are white, and blend well into their native snowy environment. Also very deadly, although their victims are seldom found. Even among those that know of the snow snake, few have actually seen one. They are usually located by their tracks.

I had an encounter with a pair a couple of years ago. I drove my truck up into the Cascades for some isolated, solo, cross-country skiing. I was just about 10 or 15 minutes out from the truck when I glanced behind me. There, as clear as day, were the tracks of two snow snakes, pointed directly at me. The snakes themselves were virtually invisible, so well did they blend with the snow on the ground.

My heart lept to my throat. One snow snake is hard enough to deal with, but when they hunt in pairs they are extremely deadly. Few survive such an encounter.

I turned around and raced downhill back towards the truck. Each time I glanced over my shoulder I could see the tracks of the two snow snakes, hot on my heels. I reached the truck mere seconds before the snakes did, and skedaddled out of there quick!

well, livin' up in Can ah Dah, nayer heard such a thing b4. guess they really would be cold blooded!

but who am i to argue with 2 moderators.

Dave Hahn said:
well, livin' up in Can ah Dah, nayer heard such a thing b4. guess they really would be cold blooded!

but who am i to argue with 2 moderators.

Oh yeah *They* are definitely Cold Blooded, actually they're not, they're so hot blooded they live in the frozen ground over the summer because they can't stand the heat.
They only come out when there's lots of snow and the ground temp is no more than 10 degrees. You never ever want to let one catch you, Howard was extremely lucky, they will crawl up your b&*tt and freeze you to death instantly!!!!:rolleyes: :eek: :(

Back