1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

So my brother in law asked for THIS for Christmas

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Titus Pullo, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo

Aug 24, 2010
  2. Frostyfingers

Frostyfingers

Aug 27, 2008
    If he likes it, that's all that matters. Asking for a knife is a huge step. Go ahead and get it for him...and then direct him to Bladeforums.

3. Hoodcanal5

Hoodcanal5

Sep 6, 2010
    He should like this. It cones with a sharpener and a firesteel which are nice extras. It is a stainless steel model and the becker is carbon so the maitenence on the becker will be much higher and for someone who isn't in to knives that much might not be able to appreciate that as much.

4. Lucentdawn

Lucentdawn

Aug 11, 2010
    Honestly, I would just get him what he wants since he's probably a Bear Grylls fan and that would be the reason someone would be interested in this knife.

5. cultivateitnow

cultivateitnow

Aug 21, 2010
    There is a good review on the field and stream site with a bunch of pictures of them putting a early example to the test. I believe they said it was AUS8, but you better check to be sure.

I say if that is the knife he wants you should get it for him.

6. dericdesmond

dericdesmond Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 10, 2007
    This, +1

7. cutter17

cutter17

May 16, 2006
    I agree with the above sentiments. I'm thinking he is not a knifenut and this knife would probably make him VERY happy. If he develops an interest guide him to BF as already mentioned, and let the seed grow!

8. GallantEdge

GallantEdge

Sep 19, 2010
    I agree with Frosty. Unless you know of his exact motivation for wanting that knife, you don't have the facts to start second guessing him.

9. Poor guy, you guys are going to devastate another souls wallet. :rolleyes:

When he joins and see's this thread he will have evidence of whom influenced the illness.:D

10. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    I say get him what he want. I see the Bear Grylls line as a step up for Gerber. It comes with lots of goodies and seems like a solid enough design. Bear's line of adventure clothing has received nothing but stellar reviews from folks. Regardless of his goofy shows it seems that the man can at least design half-way decent gear.

11. ras

ras Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 9, 2002
    It's either AUS-8 or 420HC and prolly doesn't matter -- buy the knife that makes him happy. . .

12. din

din Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 16, 2006
    give him a noogie and a swift kick in the pants.

13. cutter17

cutter17

May 16, 2006
    You may have to step back and punt on this one. According to the Knifecenter link, this knife will not be on the market until February, 2011. If that is the case, then a nice Becker, or Ontario Ranger would be nice.

14. VA27

VA27

Dec 24, 2005
    I'd get him what he wants.

If it's not due out 'til after Christmas, get him the LMF II Survival knife, same knife without the BG logo and better steel (12C27).

15. KJlost

KJlost

Aug 8, 2010
    It doesn't seem like a bad knife, and the price isn't bad for what it offers. I'd say give him what he wants....and start laying the bread crumbs.

16. 100eyes

100eyes

Sep 12, 2008
    Personally I don't like Gerber or Bear, so I would buy him a sweater before this knife, lol. If years of working retail has taught me anything, people don't know what they want. :p

17. RafaelHerschel

RafaelHerschel

Jun 19, 2010
    It looks like a fun present.

18. Flashpoint

Flashpoint

Apr 3, 2004
    Get it for him and put a hair whittling edge on it before you give it to him.

19. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    This +1 :thumbup:

20. elkins45

elkins45

Jun 17, 2006
    Sometimes getting almost what you want is worse than getting something totally different. If this is the knife he wants then give it to him or pick something totally non knife related.