So my brother in law asked for THIS for Christmas

Should I go ahead and comply or get him something like a Becker? He does'nt know a ton about knives.

Does anyone know what kind of steel this knife is using?

Gerber Bear Grylls
41SG3fgvq0L.jpg

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=GB000751

If he likes it, that's all that matters. Asking for a knife is a huge step. Go ahead and get it for him...and then direct him to Bladeforums.

He should like this. It cones with a sharpener and a firesteel which are nice extras. It is a stainless steel model and the becker is carbon so the maitenence on the becker will be much higher and for someone who isn't in to knives that much might not be able to appreciate that as much.

Honestly, I would just get him what he wants since he's probably a Bear Grylls fan and that would be the reason someone would be interested in this knife.

There is a good review on the field and stream site with a bunch of pictures of them putting a early example to the test. I believe they said it was AUS8, but you better check to be sure.

I say if that is the knife he wants you should get it for him.

I agree with the above sentiments. I'm thinking he is not a knifenut and this knife would probably make him VERY happy. If he develops an interest guide him to BF as already mentioned, and let the seed grow!

I agree with Frosty. Unless you know of his exact motivation for wanting that knife, you don't have the facts to start second guessing him.

If he likes it, that's all that matters. Asking for a knife is a huge step. Go ahead and get it for him...and then direct him to Bladeforums.

I agree with the above sentiments. I'm thinking he is not a knifenut and this knife would probably make him VERY happy. If he develops an interest guide him to BF as already mentioned, and let the seed grow!

Poor guy, you guys are going to devastate another souls wallet. :rolleyes:

When he joins and see's this thread he will have evidence of whom influenced the illness.:D

I say get him what he want. I see the Bear Grylls line as a step up for Gerber. It comes with lots of goodies and seems like a solid enough design. Bear's line of adventure clothing has received nothing but stellar reviews from folks. Regardless of his goofy shows it seems that the man can at least design half-way decent gear.

It's either AUS-8 or 420HC and prolly doesn't matter -- buy the knife that makes him happy. . .

give him a noogie and a swift kick in the pants.

You may have to step back and punt on this one. According to the Knifecenter link, this knife will not be on the market until February, 2011. If that is the case, then a nice Becker, or Ontario Ranger would be nice.

I'd get him what he wants.

If it's not due out 'til after Christmas, get him the LMF II Survival knife, same knife without the BG logo and better steel (12C27).

It doesn't seem like a bad knife, and the price isn't bad for what it offers. I'd say give him what he wants....and start laying the bread crumbs.

Personally I don't like Gerber or Bear, so I would buy him a sweater before this knife, lol. If years of working retail has taught me anything, people don't know what they want. :p

Sometimes getting almost what you want is worse than getting something totally different. If this is the knife he wants then give it to him or pick something totally non knife related.

Back