So my brother in law asked for THIS for Christmas

Get him this too [perhaps for his birthday if he learns how to use/maintain the knife].

Grylls_14_0.jpg

EDIT:

Here's a decent review of the knife and parang:

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photo...ers-bear-grylls-ultimate-knife-parang-machete

Since the knife will only hit the market early next year, you have to decide between:
- give him a "voucher" for the knife
or
- buy something else.
If this is your choice, then definitely check out the very capable Mora Bushcraft Forest:
5083.jpg

You could still add a kind of SAK, like the versatile Rücksack.

I say that you get it for him, if he's asking for a specific knife, he will probably be more disappointed if you get something that you think is better than if you don't get him it at all.

It's essentially a Gerber LMF with Bear Grylls written on the handle. The LMF and Prodigy are well built knives, if you can get over the partial serrations so I doubt it will explode or anything nasty like that, the steel on those isn't horrible. If it's what he wants, you'll be getting him something at least reliable, if only a bit gaudy.

Friends don't let friends get serrations. :thumbdn:

+1.

this is a tough one actually. id have a chat with him, suggest a few other blades and point out the irritation of the serrations.

try and talk him around, but don't be pushy.

if he truly has his heart set on that particular knife, get it for him. at least he's waking up a little.

you can convince him about the better blades out there later.

edit: actually, having read the review on the BG Gerber, it looks like it's a seriously capable little package and a good place to start someones love affair with sharp, bladed implements. in fact, if/when it becomes available in a plain edge, i'll seriously consider buying one myself.
and i gotta admit, i like the machete and i just so happen to be in the market for one.......

Last edited:
Back