SOG 2015 releases - wtf happened to this company?

I didn't see SOG at Blade this year? That was a surprise or maybe I just missed their booth. ?? I usually see Chris there as well as Spencer.

Looking at that S1 photo I can not fathom why Spencer Davis has not asked Hattori to re-make this classic again.
But this time in VG10 or 3G laminate. Maybe updated handle material as well. A limited production run would probably sell out in days.
No offense but that KM-1 SOG collaboration wasn't the prettiest knife ever created.

Spencer Davis? I suppose I'm going to learn the Steve Winwood is a stock holder in SOG.:) Don't mind me, I'm probably just having one of those flashback things.:D

My knife "collection" was caused by an original SOG Stingray. Perfect simplicity with tank like capability. When I lost it I tried to replace it but the original version was replaced with the stingray 2.0 I bought one and resold it within a month.

Long storey short the feel/design just isn't there. I keep checking out the new launches because I genuinely love that first knife but everything looks like it should be on the late night "201 knives for $129.98 informercials"

Only silver lining is I found my original knife that someone had squirreled away in their desk and I found a couple NIB stingrays for safe keeping. For now my SOGS are limited to the stingrays and a tomcat

I'm happy with my jungle canopy , seakbpup elite , recon 2.0. Myvpointvus buy the ones you like ignore the rest.

My first ever proper fixed blade is a SOG NW Ranger 2.0. It is still an excellent blade and my first choice when I step out of the city. The things they do with their AUS-8 are worthy of comparison with higher end blades. However, I did look at their line up for this year (a little late I know) and while the majority of their new products are meant to appeal to the "mall ninja" crowd, there are still a few good pieces in there. The mall ninja stuff is a business decision, I suppose.

Listen up maggots! You are to Repeat gunny's sog knife creed each nite.
"..this is my knife. There are many like it. Butt this one is mine. My sog knife is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as i muster my life. My sog knife without me is useless. Without my sog knife. I m useless... My sog knife is human, even as i, because it is my life. Thus i will learn it as a brother. I will.learn its weakness, its strength, its parts, its accesories... I will keep my sog knife clean and ready even as i m clean and ready. We will become part of each other. Before sog i swear this creed. My knife and i are defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it until victory is sog's and there is no enemy but peace!"
Do it now! Good nite ladies! ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgd2F2QNfEE

Last edited:
I keep seeing references to SOG no longer having a forum on Blade Forums. Yet every time I check its still here. Anyone know whats up with that?

I keep seeing references to SOG no longer having a forum on Blade Forums. Yet every time I check its still here. Anyone know whats up with that?

The forum exists obviously. But there is no representation or participation by a SOG co rep. This holds true
in another knife forum.

A well done Hattori S-1 would float my boat.

I seek a nice S-1, a Tigershark, and possibly a Trident, but all would be users so I hate to take a 5th Special Forces and put it to work. But in reality, isn't that what they're for?

If it doesn't happen my Government and Super Bowie, and Force, keep me warm at night.

I dont have a lot to contribute other than what's already been said.

SOG appears to be focusing on a market akin to M-tech and United.

I'll just leave this here for everyone to rememorate great times.

s1%20horizontal.jpg

From badass , stylish knives that I admired as I admire Randalls, to mall ninja cheap abominations.

That is the last one I really feel I want. Beautiful knife you have there.

Totally agree with both the admiration, and the shift toward mall ninja abominations.

That is the last one I really feel I want. Beautiful knife you have there.

Totally agree with both the admiration, and the shift toward mall ninja abominations.

So basically many of us like best the SOG fixed blade bowies that are a reproduction/slight variation of a knife that SOG didn't design. Sort of says a lot, doesn't it?

The forum exists obviously. But there is no representation or participation by a SOG co rep. This holds true
in another knife forum.

Okay. I thought BF usually archives a manufacturer if they no longer have reps. There are several at the bottom of forum like that I think.

So basically many of us like best the SOG fixed blade bowies that are a reproduction/slight variation of a knife that SOG didn't design. Sort of says a lot, doesn't it?

Pretty much,

Although I do like my Sog Force,

I am just not much of a Bells and Whistles guy.

I always figure when I buy a knife, I am buying into the company. Sog hasn't shown much interest in me. So I have returned the favor.

There was a guy on here bad mouthing Sog a year or two ago. As a loyal owner, I thought I could help. I thought he was a little over the top. But he was adamant about his issues.

So I emailed Chris through here. Asking for some help. Nothing.

Then I emailed Sog customer service twice. Nothing.

Then I called Sog. I got some woman who took my information, and what I was after. She said someone would get back to me an a day or two. They never did.

Three Srikes, out.

I guess that guy was right. I actually ended up having to apologize to him, for Sog.

Sad,

Last edited:

Yes that is undeniably correct. Ben Baker designed it. And while Spencer Davis introduced a "replica" in 1986, the design was further developed to become the Seal2000 and Seal Pup in 1995 both of which are on display among others in the knife display at the US Navy SEAL Museum. And from what I have read, the Desert Dagger was as popular among troops in Gulf War I as the Gerber MKII was during
Vietnam. The Tomcat which won the 1988 Knife of the Year award is considered to be one of he first "tactical folders" produced.
My point simply being that while post 2005 SOG has sunk to the back seat since a marketing oriented company took over and changed it's direction, with a lineup that I find pretty uninteresting for the most part, they did have some accomplishments back in the day.

Ken,

I totally agree Sog has produced some notable knives. The current S-1, the Trident and a few others still cling to the old mindset.

When I started my sales career. Coming from the excavation side. I was clueless about how to succeed. Having never sold anything. So after identifying the top sales person in our company.

One day I asked him, if he could tell what it takes for long term success.

He looked at me and said, Sales is like horse racing. You have to win races. You have to win races every week.

Then he said, Look forward, not back. Because no one cares how many races you won last month. All they care about is, can you win races this week and next.

And finally, he said, just like horse racing. When you stop winning races, you're glue.
I have found that lesson to be spot on.

When ai ask myself. Is Sog winning races? I don't like the answer I see.

This seems to be the life cycle of new corporate America.
Dana Designs,
Easternm Mountain Sports,
Woolrich,

They all, had the market by the nads, but in come the profit focused bean counters. They cheapen things up. Alienate their core customers. Then head down the path to destruction. They always seem to jumpmship right before it sinks though.

I think Dana Designs still make Hello Kitty lunch packs.
Maybe in a year or two we can get a Hello Kitty lunch knife too.

Back