SOG 2015 releases - wtf happened to this company?

What I don't understand is why SOG doesn't make most of their classic fixed blade designs in higher grade steel models. They have many happy customers who have owned their knives for 20, 30 years, who now have more disposable income, and would be interested in buying a knife in something other than AUS-8 steel. Seems an inability to recognize what part of their existing market they have not tapped. Even Cold Steel gets that.

Lostviking - You are absolutely right. In the last couple of decades the business' of this country have been taken over by those "bean counters" who won't blink for a second to maximize profits at the expense of absolutely everything else. And that includes the long term viability of the company.

DRE - LOL. I never stopped to think how funny that sounds.

rasitlin65 - I doubt SOG could not do that now as their classics, in today's versions, are all being made in Taiwan.

SOG Knives from AGR Catalog Christmas 1991:
Scan0002_zpsowtizhek.jpg

Last edited:
rasitlin65 - I doubt SOG could not do that now as their classics, in today's versions, are all being made in Taiwan.

I don't know why not. They can get the steel from somewhere else. For example, my ESEE Becker kitchen knives are German steel but put together in Taiwan.

SOG Knives from AGR Catalog Christmas 1991:
Scan0002_zpsowtizhek.jpg

What a nice set of knives in that ad. :)

I saw in walmart today SOG has a line of backpacks. They looked well built.
It is sad though to see this company going in this direction. I do love the SOG's
I have though!

I don't know why not. They can get the steel from somewhere else. For example, my ESEE Becker kitchen knives are German steel but put together in Taiwan.

Probably Krupp 4116 I would imagine. VG1 and VG10 Takefu's most popular steels are, as far as I remember, not exportable.
Furthermore large blades using these steels as a core in laminates are only produced in Japan.

Just stick to the original designs, plus the Creed (2007) mostly fixed blades and don't buy all those funky ones.

Back