SOG Agency: Yes or no?

I've looked and I only see a weirdly shapped blackjack model 7 with 1095.

The knife in the photo is a Blackjack 1-7. It is styled after the Randall #1 and somewhat mimics their model numbering system. Several other manufacturers have produced this same knife style, BTW, and it is considered somewhat of a classic because Randall has produced them for so long.

As much as I dog SOG on the forums I'll admit that their lesser expensive fixed blades ( Seal/Field pup, Seal 2000 ) are pretty decent knives for the money and make excellent users, however,the Agency while atractive, lacks the higher preformance blade steel ( I actually like AUS-8 but not for that price ) I'd expect for that price.

As much as I dog SOG on the forums I'll admit that their lesser expensive fixed blades ( Seal/Field pup, Seal 2000 ) are pretty decent knives for the money and make excellent users, however,the Agency while atractive, lacks the higher preformance blade steel ( I actually like AUS-8 but not for that price ) I'd expect for that price.
I've found it for 110. Does that change your opinion?

if it was in a steel that was more than just mediocre, i'd say it'd be a totally different story, but for 110, you can get MUCH better blades. Aus8 is seriously at the bottom end of serviceable

if it was in a steel that was more than just mediocre, i'd say it'd be a totally different story, but for 110, you can get MUCH better blades. Aus8 is seriously at the bottom end of serviceable

Better or worse than 440C? And doesn't heat treat matter more?

I'm the same way with Al Mars (except for the SERE 2000 ) and Moki knives as well, while I realy love the knives and the designs I expect better blade steel for that kind of money but that's just me. If you've got several user fixed blades and just want the knife based on it's design and styling buy it life's to short, 110$ wont make or break you more than likely.

Back