Some Comparison Pics

Now that is one sweet collection!!! Do you have any stand out favorites? Curious, did you not need the 5 as the 4.1 and 5.1 are capable of meeting the in-between blade length needs?

Last edited:
Now that is one sweet collection!!! Do you have any stand out favorites? Curious, did you not need the 5 as the 4.1 and 5.1 are capable of meeting the in-between blade length needs?

I got to the party late and missed the 5s and the 7s and the 6s but found a 6 on the forum.

The 4.1 is my favorite by a large margin.

B

The 4.1 is a wonderful knife, in terms off all around greatness it kind of reminds me of a custom Fallkniven F1. By the way, cool blog. The kuksa you carved is absolutely awesome!

Last edited:
20141212%20IMG_8811.JPG

Not a spine to spine but both butted up to the same point. I think they're the same OAL with the extra blade length going to the 6.

B

Any chance you have an esee-6 to compare these two to?

Any chance you have an esee-6 to compare these two to?

It's funny, I thought I had a 3 & 4 but couldn't find them a month or so ago but I have never had a 6.

Looks like I must've sold off or given away my ESEEs...

B

Nice comparison pics. The palm swell between the 3.5 and the 4.1 is really telling as to how much attention is paid to ergonomics.

Here's a new one for you:

20150824%20IMG_5579.JPG

Top to Bottom:
GSO-7/7 DLC
GSO-6
GSO-5.1
GSO-5
SK-4

I love seeing these family shots. Very nice comparison.

Looking forward to when more of us have families with starter models!

Do I need the 5.1 and the 6 ?
Probably

I got the 5.1, nabbed a 6 off of eBay, and then decided I needed a 5...

They're all great users and it really comes down to a personal preference for balance point and blade length. I liked that the 5.1 and the 6 are the same OAL but the 6 had more blade length which made me think the 5 would be slightly lighter, just as robust, and have all the cutting ability of the 5.1.

I got my 5 today and it's lighter, just as robust, and should have all the cutting ability of the 5.1 but I haven't tested that just yet. SOON though! :)

B

I got the 5.1, nabbed a 6 off of eBay, and then decided I needed a 5...

They're all great users and it really comes down to a personal preference for balance point and blade length. I liked that the 5.1 and the 6 are the same OAL but the 6 had more blade length which made me think the 5 would be slightly lighter, just as robust, and have all the cutting ability of the 5.1.

I got my 5 today and it's lighter, just as robust, and should have all the cutting ability of the 5.1 but I haven't tested that just yet. SOON though! :)

B

I don't have the 5 or the 6, but I must say that the 5.1 is a very good one knife option when I am working in the woods making firewood to heat the house. It is big enough to remove sapling limbs that are in the way, remove saplings up to 3 inches pretty efficiently, and the choil allows me to choke up for finer work when required. But it is small enough to carry on the belt when working a saw and carrying rounds to the ATV trailor all day. I often carry it on hikes and find it not at all hard to carry. For me, anything bigger rarely finds its way on my belt. Your points regarding the 5 and the 6 are certainly valid points, but I am clearly a fan of the 5.1. If I carry a pack on hikes or outings, I usually have a larger knife on or in the pack and the 4.1 on the belt. My guess is that both the 5 and the 6 will be of a decent size for belt carry just as the 5.1 is for me, which is why I have a 6 on order. Anything larger I fear would be relegated to pack carry only.

For me, having the knife on my body is an essential component of a survival knife philosophy. You never know when you are going to need it. I love large knives around the campsite, but never have one on me when I drive to Lowes on the weekend in winter when I might slide off the icy road with no cell phone coverage.

Back