Photos Some long overdue pics !

Andy the Aussie

Platinum Member
Gold Member
Been slack and the conditions/weather here has been a bastard....needed to snap some pics of a new to me rifle so I took pics of the couple of most recently arrived sharp metal objects while I was at it....

Alpha Reg....

....all I can say is WOW ...!!!

And this little beauty......

.....what a great handling blade...honestly just on first brush it rates right up there to me !!

Those are both awesome blades, I have the exact same ones! :D :thumbsup:

Now about this new rifle... Pics or it didn't happen! :p

Those are both awesome blades, I have the exact same ones! :D :thumbsup:

Now about this new rifle... Pics or it didn't happen! :p

This is the "before" picture I snapped of it earlier....

....it belong to a friend of mine from High School... he got out of guns and gave them away to a couple of his friends from back then. I remember last shooting this in the 80s !!!!

It's in great mechanical condition and just needs some cleaning up. Started that already... :D

This is the "before" picture I snapped of it earlier....

....it belong to a friend of mine from High School... he got out of guns and gave them away to a couple of his friends from back then. I remember last shooting this in the 80s !!!!

It's in great mechanical condition and just needs some cleaning up. Started that already... :D

That's awesome! :cool: Caliber? (Looks like it probably starts with .4)

That's awesome! :cool: Caliber? (Looks like it probably starts with .4)
....yep, 45/70 !! Had brass, dies and projectiles here ready to start for a few weeks now ! Just have to choose a powder and I am away. I need to source some new sights for it. He lost the front sight after putting the optics on and I have never been a fan of the buckhorn rears. Looking at a couple of differed types including XS but they are are both modern looking to my taste. There is another who’s name escapes me just now that makes a great looking front and rear (rear mounts on top of the action).

Okay then, in INFI. :) Those are very nice looking knives though, I've never really thought about them.
.... the Trash is great !!! It’s a sleeper I am sure !! One of mine is THE sharpest blade I have received direct from the yard !!! Given I could shave with one of my 1311s that is saying something !

Love the 1895 Marlin! If you’re sticking with iron sights, check out Williams receiver sights. Throw away the peep insert and you’re left with an awesome ghost ring. Had a gun very much like yours that cut cloverleafs @ 50 yds and 2” groups @ 100 with those sights. Plus they give the quickest target acquisition of anything I’ve tried among “traditional” sights.:thumbsup:

Beautiful pics as usual! And yeah, the Alpha line is setting a very high bar. The scope of work those two knives are capable of is enormous.:cool::cool::cool:

I thought it might be a .45/70, but couldn't tell for sure. Thought it might have been a .444 with that big barrel! :cool:

Love the 1895 Marlin! If you’re sticking with iron sights, check out Williams receiver sights. Throw away the peep insert and you’re left with an awesome ghost ring. Had a gun very much like yours that cut cloverleafs @ 50 yds and 2” groups @ 100 with those sights. Plus they give the quickest target acquisition of anything I’ve tried among “traditional” sights.:thumbsup:

Beautiful pics as usual! And yeah, the Alpha line is setting a very high bar. The scope of work those two knives are capable of is enormous.:cool::cool::cool:
..... I have Lymans on one M94 and Williams on the other. The Lyman is a bit better design and quality I think, but also more than double the price !!! I have a Williams rear here now that will fit the 1895 to get me by, just need to source the front sight.

I am actually looking at a set from here.... http://www.skinnersights.com/

I thought it might be a .45/70, but couldn't tell for sure. Thought it might have been a .444 with that big barrel! :cool:
...... I REALLY want to go roll a boar over with this thing now... :D

Cleaned up a bit more, some parts had not seen the light of day since assembled in the 80s at the factory I suspect.

Nice photos, Andy. Thanks much. I have a Marlin 1895 also in 45/70. Purchased in 1981 for deer hunting. Only two rounds fired. In practice. Not at deer.

Transitioned to Upland game and Waterfowl hunting soon afterwards, so rifle remains nearly new. Love those old historic cartridges.

Last edited:
..... I have Lymans on one M94 and Williams on the other. The Lyman is a bit better design and quality I think, but also more than double the price !!! I have a Williams rear here now that will fit the 1895 to get me by, just need to source the front sight.

I am actually looking at a set from here.... http://www.skinnersights.com/

Andy, definitely give Skinner a go! I have Skinners of several various types on all three of my Marlin lever guns and you can't go wrong. Hmmm, come to think of it, my 45-70 is a SBL, and I think that is original equipment with an XD ghost. I have not replaced it as it is perfect as is. Fast and confident target acquisition. Fine out to 100m/yds. I have his paired ghost/peep and front shrouded post set up on my 44 mag. Again, fast and sure. The shroud works without the historic problem involving the mistake of sighting with one of the shrouds when moving fast or in low light. The design is such that the shape of the shrouds just does not allow that with my eyes anyway. His peep works beautifully on my 22 also. (The .22 was my dad's first rifle which he bought in the mid-50's. That action in like buttah!) If you want pics and or model numbers re the sight used I can pull that off tomorrow.

Cheers!

Andy, click to expand that last of mine re Skinner peeps! (If so inclined that is.) I think I finally figured out how I do that!

(Here, fixed it, Andy!)
As said below - if you are interested, I am happy to try to take some pics of the particular peeps/ghosts on each rifle, and will look up each model number combo as well.

Andy, definitely give Skinner a go! I have Skinners of several various types on all three of my Marlin lever guns and you can't go wrong. Hmmm, come to think of it, my 45-70 is a SBL, and I think that is original equipment with an XD ghost. I have not replaced it as it is perfect as is. Fast and confident target acquisition. Fine out to 100m/yds. I have his paired ghost/peep and front shrouded post set up on my 44 mag. Again, fast and sure. The shroud works without the historic problem involving the mistake of sighting with one of the shrouds when moving fast or in low light. The design is such that the shape of the shrouds just does not allow that with my eyes anyway. His peep works beautifully on my 22 also. (The .22 was my dad's first rifle which he bought in the mid-50's. That action in like buttah!) If you want pics and or model numbers re the sight used I can pull that off tomorrow.

A final note on Skinner and their products: they will do just about anything to make it right with the customer. Their designs and quality control is/are exceptional, but they stand behind their products as well. In person.

Cheers!

Funny I log back in to read this today.... I ended up in an email exchange with Andy (he must be a good guy) from Skinner sights last night and already have a few hundred 4s worth of stuff on the way to me here :D :D

Those Skinners look great—can’t go wrong with a good ghost ring set-up.:thumbsup:
..... his rear sights have removable apertures so you can go Ghost Ring or a finer type. I went with the standard "medium" (.96 I tink) aperture as this is really a close in gun for me. I can screw that out and have a nice big ring if zombies are shuffling in fast... ;) I went with the "Alaskan" style rear and "Bear Buster" (Going to have to re-name that Drop Bear Buster once it arrives ;) ) front for this purchase.

On knives....... it has been a very long time since I picked up a blade and went "ohhhhhhhhhh ahhhhhhhhhhh" but the Alpha Reg caused that very reaction !!!!!! I just need a sheath for it and then I can whip it out ("just a moment while I whip this out" ..... Blazing Saddles is a movie that just could not be made today) and say..... "That's not a knife" .... :D :D Hardest part will be placing @elof_alv 's Alpha Reg in the mail to him down in Mexico....I mean I look GOOD with one of these in each hand !!!

My dad cut down his 1895 to 19” way back in the 80’s, made a nice woods gun out of it. Before he gave it to me and switched to a Browning high-wall, we loaded IMR 4064. Good power, consistent performance, and not too bad a kick out of that short barrel. I’ve also used 4227, but had more of the 4064 laying around to load in my 308’s, so more experience with 4064 in the 45-70.

Back