Some Machetes Finally Done

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
I've got a pre list for a few, and then I'm going to start the lists RR is making, so there is none to shark, just some pics.

20110121100_3863-vi.jpg

20110121100_3850-vi.jpg

20110121100_3856-vi.jpg

I'm personally very excited about the 12" version because of what a versatile bushcrafting tool it is. Light, easy to carry. The perfect way to round out a Nessmuk trio, much safer than a double bit hatchet, and it'll dig, which the small hatchet wouldn't.

20110121100_3868-vi.jpg

Yea, the black and OD came out great. THe OD is a bit more $ by the sheet, but I'm going to keep buying it.

Black is always cool, but I love the color natural canvas takes on ones you get a little dirt and oil worked into it.

I'd like to say that I hope he doesn't make anymore of these for a while, but I know he will. Some of you might wonder, "but Dylan, why would you not want him to be making these?" Well, dear friends, I'll tell you. Andy Roy has developed a bit of a compulsion problem. He has a hard time controlling his erge to swing a machete and hit something with it after he finishes EVERY DAMN STEP IN MAKING THEM!!!! Every time a handle was rough shaped WHACK!. Every time a handle was sanded WHACK!! If you're not paying attention and trying to grind, that crap is really startling and makes you jump EVERY SINGLE TIME. Every time I heard that loud whack, I had to stop for a second, make sure the belt was still on the machine and make sure I still had all my fingers. The last thing you want to hear whilst having your hands and body that close to something as open and dangerous as a KMG running at full tilt boogie is a loud random pop sound. Sometimes that means you just just smacked, whipped, cut or something else and the pain just hasn't set it yet.

:grumpy::grumpy::grumpy::grumpy::grumpy::grumpy:

I'd like to say that I hope he doesn't make anymore of these for a while, but I know he will. Some of you might wonder, "but Dylan, why would you not want him to be making these?" Well, dear friends, I'll tell you. Andy Roy has developed a bit of a compulsion problem. He has a hard time controlling his erge to swing a machete and hit something with it after he finishes EVERY DAMN STEP IN MAKING THEM!!!! Every time a handle was rough shaped WHACK!. Every time a handle was sanded WHACK!! If you're not paying attention and trying to grind, that crap is really startling and makes you jump EVERY SINGLE TIME. Every time I heard that loud whack, I had to stop for a second, make sure the belt was still on the machine and make sure I still had all my fingers. The last thing you want to hear whilst having your hands and body that close to something as open and dangerous as a KMG running at full tilt boogie is a loud random pop sound. Sometimes that means you just just smacked, whipped, cut or something else and the pain just hasn't set it yet.

lol,,, :D

Your handle work is stellar Bro! Always nicely contoured with no hot spots. One of the best in my opinion! Would love to learn your method one of these days :thumbup:

hahaha...That is funny as hell. Kinda reminds me of myself :D

So you're saying that you hope Andy won't get into the throwing knife business? :D

Andy, those turned out great! I really like the look of the OD Green Micarta. I have a friend thats also into green and I bet he flips when he sees them. :thumbup:

Do the 14" and 16" come standard with clip points and the 12" and 18" drop or are they options? Thanks!

Thats what I'm talking about. Maybe I need to get some firecrackers.:p:thumbup:

okay im probobly just an idiot, but are those scandi ground?

No, they're convexed by hand. No jig. No reason to do high grinds and thin this out. They cut like hell and will be easier to maintain like this.

I would love to know what the weight is on the 12's??????

Much appreciated :thumbup:

I weighed several of each model just now. They were all between 15 oz and 1lb 1 oz. (Now, they hang off my little scale a lot. I don't know if that matters with my little digital postal scale.)

Your handle work is stellar Bro! Always nicely contoured with no hot spots. One of the best in my opinion! Would love to learn your method one of these days :thumbup:

Come to Blade Show a few days early. You can help a lot, I'd like to learn a bit about edges from you while you're here. I can certainly show you about my handle shaping.

Incidentally, the shape for this one comes from the Khukuri.

Back