Some Super Steels don't seem to hold a fine edge

There can be differences between knife makers. My Mini-Rukus in S30V takes a very fine edge with ease and holds it a long time. On the other hand, my Buck Custom Shop 112 takes what feels like a grittier edge, and also holds it a long time. My Spydercos in S30V seem to take longer to hone than the others and I have to work to get that biting sharp edge, but they also cut a long time. Maybe it's a difference in edge geometry or some other factor such as the heat treat, but they do feel different.

Insults like this are completely unnecessary. Lot's of us don't like S30V, for many good reasons.
I was thinking that emoticon on end of my post have some purpose ?
I see it is very old topic , read it all and try to be funny....sorry :)

There can be differences between knife makers. My Mini-Rukus in S30V takes a very fine edge with ease and holds it a long time. On the other hand, my Buck Custom Shop 112 takes what feels like a grittier edge, and also holds it a long time. My Spydercos in S30V seem to take longer to hone than the others and I have to work to get that biting sharp edge, but they also cut a long time. Maybe it's a difference in edge geometry or some other factor such as the heat treat, but they do feel different.

I think Alberta is pretty close. S30V can be an excellent steel. It can also be crappy in a number of ways, more so than other steels. My sense is that it's more difficult to heat treat than other steels, especially in a mass-production setting. When it first came out, it could be chippy, which was apparently caused by makers using too slow a quench.

I don't see how S30V can lose a fine edge faster than softer, more wear-resistant steels, although that is common wisdom here. I've had that feeling myself, but never tried to document it. @Larrin 's extensive website looked at the issue and found that both high-wear and low-wear steels quickly lose that super fine, narrow-apex edge. But the high-wear steels still have an advantage from super sharp to fully dull.

HeavyHanded posted his suggestion more than 6 years ago. I followed it.

So you're right. But you're just a *little* bit late to the party. :)

Brian.
yeah lol sorry this is a new account. im a young entrepenuer and wanted to sign up because soon im going to make custom knives.

It seems like the biggest problem that most people make sharpening knives is dealing with the burr. I am not an expert so I will listen to what knifemakers say about different knife steels. They are the ones whose livelihoods depend upon the sharpness of their knives. IMHO.

Back