Some Thoughts on Youtuber Nick Shabazz

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know less than nothing about Nick...but I think his schtick works and makes him stand out from the crowd...he doesn't take himself too seriously, and provides some useful information mixed in with the entertainment.

He's up front about why he likes what he likes and doesn't what he doesn't. And it sounds like he is a charitable person. What's not to like?

There's plenty of ex-special forces guys out there if that's your thing.

I usually know why I like a knife or I don't...but it's always good to get some of the gaps filled in by someone who's spent some time with it beforehand.

I like that he makes concessions.. if for nothing else he's got a great catalogue of thorough inspections. If I'm interested in a knife - he's got a video on it.

In my experience he's a solid guy.
I've met him in person. Met at my shop, talked knives and steels. Also talked about the industry from a maker perspective

I haven't watched many if his videos. But I'll likely start viewing more.

Was he wearing the Batman mask, or did he just have a black circle where his face should be?

I've purchased many a knife out the backside of a Nick Shabazz review. My favorite thing is the consistency of the size comparisons to reference blades. How can anyone complain even if THAT was the only redeeming quality of the prolific content? It isn't. I enjoy Nick and will thank him here for his efforts.

Back down the Youtube Shabazzhole... I think I would take a bullet for this man

I love this one
The Baby Ruth size comparison was good. But in describing the blade geometry he said it’s got so much belly maybe it’d be good for cutting brownies in a bowl. That was brilliant.

The way he does size comparison always bothered me. He usually spends an incredibly small amount of screen time on it so you're forced to pause the video if you really want a good idea. And would it kill him to just put a ruler down? Holy hell...

Anyway, I think he's not a bad source for opinions and quick impressions. I dont aways agree with his takes, but if you watch enoulgh of his content then you can get a good idea of what kind of person he is and then use that to gauge where you might fall on one knife or another relative to him. I consider that to be a compliment.

Interesting in regards to seeing something new & different ...
His video's come across more like a TV commercial ( for me ) . than a actual review !
But then again , he exposes viewers to new knives .. And from what I have seen so far , there all great !

I watch all reviews I can find that feature the knives I like. They’re all a little goofy. Some guys do comparisons with other knives they enjoy, some talk about how the knives make them feel, some nit-pick flaws in handle materiel, others describe the manufacturing process, physical attributes, design history, etc. I watch them all, and I think mostly it’s just for the positive affirmation that I’m on the right track. I’ve seen guys gush about knives that I thought were trash. I have to watch them all to get a complete picture. Nick Shabazz is just one of many. I don’t mind his videos at all. I never would have guessed that his voice was an affectation because he legit sounds like the head of my HOA. I’ve done twenty years in metalfab and I like modular construction + good fit & finish. I just started getting serious about knives two years ago and I’ve stuck with American and Italian manufacturing.

I watch them all, and I think mostly it’s just for the positive affirmation that I’m on the right track. I’ve seen guys gush about knives that I thought were trash.
Isn't that most youtube reviews? They all have affiliate links and promo codes to give out, so it's not like they're going to go out of their way tell you things that will make you less likely to buy the product. Any negative reviews (if they exist at all) tend to come from smaller channels that aren't necessarily being run like a business. You will see larger youtube channels giving negative reviews sometimes, but I don't think it's as common. Most of the reviews I see on youtube will either gloss over or completely omit the negative aspects of a product, and it's frustrating when nobody seems to call them out on it. Then you get people who have watched a ton of this positive review content and then they refuse to accept any information that goes against it.

That's one reason why I like Nick Shabazz. He's going to tell you when he doesn't like something. Sure he's obnoxious sounding, sure he spends like 0.005 seconds doing the size comparison, but at least he's not trying to whitewash the bad things about a product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back