Some Woods Time With A Friend and A Few Beckers (photo Hvy)

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by B Griffin, Mar 24, 2013.

1. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Yesterday I had the chance to get out for some woods time in wet conditions with a friend. The friend is a member here that you guys may know as Gutsy. It had rained the night before and part of the morning, so it was a good time to get out and explore, look through the insect life, and do some experiments in wet conditions fire starting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The skeletal structure of datura pods is interesting to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of wild onions in the area

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gutsy gathering some firs starting materials

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Playing around with the larvae in the galls

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our primary tools for the day, BK-s 14, 16, 17, and 24. You can easily tell my BK-17 has seen MUCH more use than his BK-16 :)

[​IMG]

BK-4

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    I told Gutsy to check out one of my favorite fire steels, a Polystriker by Exotac, so he gathered some damp grass to play with. The striker on this ferro rod is wicked and throws some nice sparks. So he got flames, but it was hard to sustain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had some drier tinder material in the truck left over from a class I had done earlier. It caught much easier, and we soon had fire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was a lot of moisture cooking out of the wood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sustained fire

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some people light fires using feather sticks...and some people light feather sticks using fires...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gutsy got the chance to check out a Fiddleback Camp Knife I recently bought. I think he liked it a lot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the bugs started getting on Gutsy's nerves

[​IMG]

Then a little more playing around with feather sticks before we headed out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. The Warrior

The Warrior Insane Viking Moderator

Mar 11, 2011
    Awesome stuff mist. That Fiddleback looks bad ass.

4. Murphnuge

Murphnuge Moderator Moderator

Feb 27, 2010
    Good call on the woods time, I wouldn't take Gutsy out in public either.

5. Enluzenment

Enluzenment

Dec 5, 2012
    Makes me jealous...I haven't been in the woods for weeks. That needs to change. Awesome pics of the datura pods btw, they're really incredible looking like that.

6. SaturatedShadow

SaturatedShadow

Apr 28, 2010
    Good stuff again, Mist.

I especially liked the jimson weed pictures. A good demonstration of the differing rates of decomposition of plant tissues.

Good looking Fiddleback too.

7. Eero

Eero

May 6, 2012
    Some good wild edibles you found there! Love the looks of that fiddleback. Thanks for taking us along for the ride. Nice collection of BK&T steel packed along.

8. GarnetandBlack

GarnetandBlack

Dec 1, 2012
    Great stuff mist, thanks for sharing. All your photos were interesting and thoroughly entertaining. I've scrolled through them a few times, very thoughtful and fun to look at.

9. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Thanks brother, and yeah...it's a pricey thing, but man is it an awesome blade.

Lol, after the last few times hanging out with him in public, I decided it was better for all to just take him to the woods :)

Thanks man, glad you liked the post. I hope you get the chance to get out and hit the woods soon, it's the only thing that keeps me as sane as I am :)

Thanks man. Yeah, the physiology of that plant really intrigues me...as do the bugs that like to hang out on and in it. It has a very interesting structure.

Yeah, Andy makes some nice knives. I love the balance on this one, it really handles well.

Yeah, there isn't a whole lot available here yet. Onions are still up, and dandelions are popping up, the garlic hasn't sprung up yet but will soon enough. Will be a bit before many other things are available. That's one of the things I was discussing with Gutsy. I have some classes on wild edibles coming up this spring and am trying to get him involved with helping me with them.

Thanks me too, I've been wanting one of Andy's Camp Knives for a few years now, and finally got the one I wanted.

Thanks man, I'm really glad you enjoyed the post!

10. Murphnuge

Murphnuge Moderator Moderator

Feb 27, 2010

The world's not ready for panty scalpin'. Great post bro, I'm jealous of the woods time. Badass pix too, but you already knew that.

11. Rolled edge

Rolled edge

May 23, 2012
    Yeah gutsy rubbed it in they he got to go play, I haven't been in the woods in ages. I hate being a zombie and just living to make a paycheck.

12. tfields

tfields

Apr 15, 2012
    good stuff mist and that fiddleback is sweet!!

13. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Lol, I had forgotten all about that! Thanks man, I try to keep it entertaining :)

Sounds like Gutsy. Man, you gotta get out now and then.

14. RogueBowie

RogueBowie

Nov 16, 2011
    Gorgeous thread! Just what I needed after a long day cooped up at work. Thanks for the great pics as always!

15. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Thanks RB, really glad you enjoyed it!

16. co556guy

co556guy

Dec 13, 2011
    Honestly, I appreciate the fact that you guys put effort into knowing how to use your knives, rather than just fondling them in your mancave dreaming of going out....

That's huge IMHO. Oh, and I want your fiddleback.

17. Claudiasboris

Claudiasboris

Aug 23, 2010
    Great pics as always Mist. Looks like you guys had a good time; thanks for sharing.

I've got to echo everyone else: that Fiddleback looks just beautiful. I don't have any of Andy's blades yet and that looks like it may have to be the one! Have you done a review anywhere?

18. gutsy

gutsy

Sep 27, 2005
    Murph , no panty scalps were taken during this event but i'll say i came close at the bbq place we ate at . I'm glad he didn't have his camera on him when we went in there .

19. mattchibi

mattchibi

Feb 3, 2013
    Great stuff mist. It looks mighty damp out there, just like it is over here right now. Those insects that you pulled out of the wood, how could you tell that they were in there? I'd imagine if you pry open every damp log, you probably might not find beetles and larvae in each one... or would you?

Sincerely,
    Camping Novice

20. bacpacker

bacpacker

Jun 13, 2012
    Some great pics and looks to be a fun time in the woods. Hell what am I saying any time in the woods is fun.

Thanks for sharing.