Some Woods Time With A Friend and A Few Beckers (photo Hvy)

Mistwalker

Gold Member
Yesterday I had the chance to get out for some woods time in wet conditions with a friend. The friend is a member here that you guys may know as Gutsy. It had rained the night before and part of the morning, so it was a good time to get out and explore, look through the insect life, and do some experiments in wet conditions fire starting.

DSC_3226.jpg

DSC_3229.jpg

DSC_3231.jpg

DSC_3234.jpg

DSC_3237.jpg

DSC_3260.jpg

DSC_3238.jpg

DSC_3242.jpg

DSC_3243.jpg

DSC_3248.jpg

DSC_3254.jpg

DSC_3251.jpg

DSC_3259.jpg

DSC_3270.jpg

DSC_3271.jpg

DSC_3274.jpg

DSC_3278.jpg

DSC_3336.jpg

The skeletal structure of datura pods is interesting to me.

DSC_3281.jpg

DSC_3283.jpg

DSC_3284.jpg

DSC_3286.jpg

Lots of wild onions in the area

DSC_3217.jpg

DSC_3223.jpg

DSC_3291.jpg

Gutsy gathering some firs starting materials

DSC_3298.jpg

DSC_3300.jpg

Playing around with the larvae in the galls

DSC_3303.jpg

DSC_3313.jpg

DSC_3314.jpg

Our primary tools for the day, BK-s 14, 16, 17, and 24. You can easily tell my BK-17 has seen MUCH more use than his BK-16 :)

DSC_3318.jpg

BK-4

DSC_3331.jpg

DSC_3332.jpg

I told Gutsy to check out one of my favorite fire steels, a Polystriker by Exotac, so he gathered some damp grass to play with. The striker on this ferro rod is wicked and throws some nice sparks. So he got flames, but it was hard to sustain.

DSC_3354.jpg

DSC_3357.jpg

DSC_3361.jpg

DSC_3378.jpg

DSC_3379.jpg

DSC_3381.jpg

I had some drier tinder material in the truck left over from a class I had done earlier. It caught much easier, and we soon had fire.

DSC_3384.jpg

DSC_3386.jpg

DSC_3391.jpg

DSC_3392.jpg

DSC_3394.jpg

DSC_3397.jpg

DSC_3401.jpg

DSC_3402.jpg

There was a lot of moisture cooking out of the wood.

DSC_3403.jpg

DSC_3407.jpg

DSC_3408.jpg

Sustained fire

DSC_3413.jpg

DSC_3418.jpg

Some people light fires using feather sticks...and some people light feather sticks using fires...

DSC_3422.jpg

DSC_3423.jpg

Gutsy got the chance to check out a Fiddleback Camp Knife I recently bought. I think he liked it a lot.

DSC_3426.jpg

DSC_3429.jpg

DSC_3430.jpg

DSC_3431.jpg

DSC_3434.jpg

DSC_3433.jpg

I think the bugs started getting on Gutsy's nerves

DSC_3438.jpg

Then a little more playing around with feather sticks before we headed out

DSC_3443.jpg

DSC_3442.jpg

DSC_3444.jpg

Awesome stuff mist. That Fiddleback looks bad ass.

Good call on the woods time, I wouldn't take Gutsy out in public either.

Makes me jealous...I haven't been in the woods for weeks. That needs to change. Awesome pics of the datura pods btw, they're really incredible looking like that.

Good stuff again, Mist.

I especially liked the jimson weed pictures. A good demonstration of the differing rates of decomposition of plant tissues.

Good looking Fiddleback too.

Some good wild edibles you found there! Love the looks of that fiddleback. Thanks for taking us along for the ride. Nice collection of BK&T steel packed along.

Great stuff mist, thanks for sharing. All your photos were interesting and thoroughly entertaining. I've scrolled through them a few times, very thoughtful and fun to look at.

Awesome stuff mist. That Fiddleback looks bad ass.

Thanks brother, and yeah...it's a pricey thing, but man is it an awesome blade.

Good call on the woods time, I wouldn't take Gutsy out in public either.

Lol, after the last few times hanging out with him in public, I decided it was better for all to just take him to the woods :)

Makes me jealous...I haven't been in the woods for weeks. That needs to change. Awesome pics of the datura pods btw, they're really incredible looking like that.

Thanks man, glad you liked the post. I hope you get the chance to get out and hit the woods soon, it's the only thing that keeps me as sane as I am :)

Good stuff again, Mist.

I especially liked the jimson weed pictures. A good demonstration of the differing rates of decomposition of plant tissues.

Good looking Fiddleback too.

Thanks man. Yeah, the physiology of that plant really intrigues me...as do the bugs that like to hang out on and in it. It has a very interesting structure.

Yeah, Andy makes some nice knives. I love the balance on this one, it really handles well.

Some good wild edibles you found there! Love the looks of that fiddleback. Thanks for taking us along for the ride. Nice collection of BK&T steel packed along.

Yeah, there isn't a whole lot available here yet. Onions are still up, and dandelions are popping up, the garlic hasn't sprung up yet but will soon enough. Will be a bit before many other things are available. That's one of the things I was discussing with Gutsy. I have some classes on wild edibles coming up this spring and am trying to get him involved with helping me with them.

Thanks me too, I've been wanting one of Andy's Camp Knives for a few years now, and finally got the one I wanted.

Great stuff mist, thanks for sharing. All your photos were interesting and thoroughly entertaining. I've scrolled through them a few times, very thoughtful and fun to look at.

Thanks man, I'm really glad you enjoyed the post!

Lol, after the last few times hanging out with him in public, I decided it was better for all to just take him to the woods :)

The world's not ready for panty scalpin'. Great post bro, I'm jealous of the woods time. Badass pix too, but you already knew that.

Yeah gutsy rubbed it in they he got to go play, I haven't been in the woods in ages. I hate being a zombie and just living to make a paycheck.

The world's not ready for panty scalpin'. Great post bro, I'm jealous of the woods time. Badass pix too, but you already knew that.

Lol, I had forgotten all about that! Thanks man, I try to keep it entertaining :)

Yeah gutsy rubbed it in they he got to go play, I haven't been in the woods in ages. I hate being a zombie and just living to make a paycheck.

Sounds like Gutsy. Man, you gotta get out now and then.

Gorgeous thread! Just what I needed after a long day cooped up at work. Thanks for the great pics as always!

Honestly, I appreciate the fact that you guys put effort into knowing how to use your knives, rather than just fondling them in your mancave dreaming of going out....

That's huge IMHO. Oh, and I want your fiddleback.

Great pics as always Mist. Looks like you guys had a good time; thanks for sharing.

I've got to echo everyone else: that Fiddleback looks just beautiful. I don't have any of Andy's blades yet and that looks like it may have to be the one! Have you done a review anywhere?

Murph , no panty scalps were taken during this event but i'll say i came close at the bbq place we ate at . I'm glad he didn't have his camera on him when we went in there .

Great stuff mist. It looks mighty damp out there, just like it is over here right now. Those insects that you pulled out of the wood, how could you tell that they were in there? I'd imagine if you pry open every damp log, you probably might not find beetles and larvae in each one... or would you?

Sincerely,
Camping Novice

Some great pics and looks to be a fun time in the woods. Hell what am I saying any time in the woods is fun.

Thanks for sharing.

Back