Song Sung BLUE: Blue-handled Traditional Knives

I wonder how stone wash works on carbon steel blades. At least one knife maker says that high polish prevents rust, where stone wash is lots of scratches. I normally like stone wash on stainless blades it helps prevent finger prints and keeps scratches from using from showing... If my Native 5 in the exchange sells I expect I will order one of these. It looks like a nice knife.

I wonder how stone wash works on carbon steel blades. At least one knife maker says that high polish prevents rust, where stone wash is lots of scratches. I normally like stone wash on stainless blades it helps prevent finger prints and keeps scratches from using from showing... If my Native 5 in the exchange sells I expect I will order one of these. It looks like a nice knife.

Hey Driften, the blades that are stonewashed, just a description of the "blue" color of the jigged bone covers.

"Stone Wash Blue" is the name for the color of the bone on these. The blades are not stone washed.

Edited to add: What Ocarr said. :D

"Stone Wash Blue" is the name for the color of the bone on these. The blades are not stone washed.

Edited to add: What Ocarr said. :D

That may be but look at the blades. They look like they are also stonewashed. They are not polished and they are not "belt" finished like the other GEC's. Maybe they could have been bead blasted but I expect they would have said that along with the stonewash if that was the case.

OK I just opened a chat with DLT and you guys are 100% right. Its just talking about the cover finish and the pictures are deceptive on the blade finish. Its a standard belt satin finish.

Thanks for clearing it up for me!

OK I just opened a chat with DLT and you guys are 100% right. Its just talking about the cover finish and the pictures are deceptive on the blade finish. Its a standard belt satin finish.

Thanks for clearing it up for me!

No worries, happy to assist. On a side note, I've only been collecting for a few years now but, I've only ever seen GEC blades in either a satin or a polished finish. (No acid washed nor stone washed finishes have been offered to my knowledge. I'm thinking those are mainly found on your "super steels")

Stone Wash Blue #14 Boy's Knife

E3659246-18E2-4741-BEA8-588FEE400FAA.jpg

FE0880D9-645F-4288-AACF-D84E07B902FC.jpg

At a glance it might be more accurately described as "Stone Wash Black," but there is actually some blue in there. :D

7CABDAD9-AEEE-4A45-81F8-8D4AFCF6862A.jpg

It's a #12 Ben Hogan lockback from 2012. They were a factory test run of 23 and the first GECs in camel bone. They went fast.

651112-bjh-lb-camel-bone1.jpg

Blue camel bone.

Blue%20Camel%20Bone_zpsvs9aqgoj.jpg

A stunning knife, and yet another example of how your photography skills bring out the best of your chosen subjects! (I still blame owe you for the #33 Conductor whittler featured in my starting post for this thread, as your pictures sealed the deal for me. I'm so glad.)

As I've said before, GEC's camel bone blue (most often released on Special Factory Orders for Knives Ship Free*) is among the best blue I've seen, in all its variations in hue and saturation.

~ P.

*Hain'tcha glad I didn't write, "GEC's SFOs for KSF"?

Stone Wash Blue #14 Boy's Knife

E3659246-18E2-4741-BEA8-588FEE400FAA.jpg

FE0880D9-645F-4288-AACF-D84E07B902FC.jpg

At a glance it might be more accurately described as "Stone Wash Black," but there is actually some blue in there. :D

7CABDAD9-AEEE-4A45-81F8-8D4AFCF6862A.jpg

If you think you might like a lighter blue, try wiping down the bone with mineral oil. I've had a couple GECs of recent production where a bit of the dye came off and lightened the color a little on jigged bone knives.

Thanks for starting this thread Sarah. I agree the smooth blue camel bone is outstanding.

Back