Sorry guys, I tapped

Status
Not open for further replies.
When they picked-up production speed a bit, having completed the 4.7 orders and most of the 2.7s, the 4.1s and 7/7s began appearing on Instagram more often. It took a while, but my F2 4.1 shipped in December, then my Starter 4.1 Shipped this past month. Those are two completely separate orders, different configurations, with each knife shipping once it was completed in the order that they were completing knives, two 4.1s amidst however many hundreds of 4.1s have been ordered. While they are still WAY WAY behind, that kind of up-tick really gives me hope :) The 12's are being water-jetted and precision ground as we type, and the 3.5s have been featured in a lot of Instagram posts. I have high hopes that those models will be shipping by June, meaning that 7/7s will be all out by then and 4.1s really far along (I expect there are MANY MANY of those). Is that overly optimistic? Maybe. But I have the time.

And I don't blame anybody for pulling out on orders. Even I hesitated to order one with a 90-day guarantee. But then I realized that I never gave any credence to that guarantee anyway. I am in for it because I love the product, I love that it is American-made, and I love that Guy seems to be giving it his all even if he may suck at running a business sometimes :p

So here's a toast to those that have made the decision to move on! May their other choices give them greater joy!
And here's another to those that are sticking it out without regard for S!K's delivery estimates! Our patience may be absurd, but I for one have never been unsatisfied with the final product delivered!
And here's another to those who just like to hate on S!K, because at this point you should be fairly well inebriated!
And here's another to those who.... what was I typing about?

I honestly think the bottom falls out of this company. I ordered two 4.1's a day apart. I received one but not the other. I don't think they will ever complete the 7/7's.

There's just not any way possible to be this bad at completing orders. I cancelled my orders because i think this company is gonna close its doors.

I could grind a 2.7 with a nail file on my porch in six months. Why would a second take so long.

Also when I cancelled, there was no mention at all of "well, they'll be shipping soon". Nope, just a "no problem".

I'm pretty sure they know those knives were not shipping any time soon or at all.

It was so tempting to be swayed by the promises...but I couldn't get past the history, so I didn't order a knife that I really wanted.
Time passes.
WTF - history repeats itself - go figure.
I don't see them ever pulling it together enough to get my money.

I honestly think the bottom falls out of this company. I ordered two 4.1's a day apart. I received one but not the other. I don't think they will ever complete the 7/7's.

There's just not any way possible to be this bad at completing orders. I cancelled my orders because i think this company is gonna close its doors.

I could grind a 2.7 with a nail file on my porch in six months. Why would a second take so long.

Also when I cancelled, there was no mention at all of "well, they'll be shipping soon". Nope, just a "no problem".

I'm pretty sure they know those knives were not shipping any time soon or at all.
I was so close to being a proxy for the last HDFK order, but changed my mind for this reason. I figured I will wait for my 7/7 to get here, see which one I like better, and sell the other. OR, if the worst should happen, and S!K closes it's doors, and does not complete it's existing orders, then I will have the HDFK, along with some great 5.1's. Would love to have a 4.1 though!!

Last edited:
Fortunately, I was able to amass a large collection of SK!s back in the day when their turnaround was under a year. But when I had a backlog of pre-orders that were coming up on two years (7/7, 12) and with NO end in sight, I pulled the plug and got a refund. Years ago, I sarcastically directly asked SK's Ellie if my preorder was going to take two years to which Ellie responded "oh god no I would hope not!". Her response then was that such a long leadtime would be unthinkable. Well, the unthinkable became reality, came and went, So, I took her advice (years later) and bailed. Now, people are looking past two into three years.. (and beyond) for some preorders. That said, SK! (is) a legit company and as long as they are in business even if it takes them five years I believe 100% they WILL make good on those back orders. My real issue became SK! unforeseen factors, Health, finances etc.. Small mom/pop business live and die frequently in the USA and the risk factor was too much a gamble for me. But still, there are others in it as an investment and completely aware and accept the risk.

What would be a interesting solution for all parities... is if SK! was willing to allow a preorder to SELL their place in line. For example, what would YOU pay to for a GSO12 preorder that is already 2 years old? This would solve the frustration of someone that waited 2 years canceling and getting nothing, while also making the die-hard SK! buyers happy, and making SK! happy (they don't lose a sale). Has this idea ever been done?

Last edited:

LTS, I'm going to give you some unsolicited pieces of advice which I will start by the TL; DR version:

- For your own sake and sanity, refrain from piling on!

Now onto the more detailed version:

Luke, I like you as we were both customers of this maker / brethren of this sub-forum and are currently comrades under the umbrella of another maker whose products we love, enjoy and seek. I am glad that you decided to tap out to coin your own phrase for the sake of minimizing your risks, maintaining your sanity plus freeing up some funds to explore other options although IIRC you still have one active GSO order. So please understand that this response is not about defending Survive! because I am no longer a fan even if they had products on their shelves ready to be fulfilling orders! This post is meant as a friendly reminder for your own betterment and closure to move on because despite having been jerked around by Survive! for so long of a wait and yet no fulfillment period, you purportedly received a quick refund with much less hassle than what some other folks were experiencing just a handful of months back.

IMHO, it is not too classy on your part to come in here just to pile on regarding something which should be a moot point at this stage. I give you the right to be angry, frustrated and wanting to get things off your chest but I also see wrong and malice in coming here to express some opinion which is purely speculative. I understand that S! fooqued up big time and did many, many, many folks wrongly and deservedly lost lots of customers. Perhaps they even caused you some unintended harm by tying up your funds which enabled you to purchase other readily available gems. I just want you to know that I always try to put myself in the shoes of the person who feels wronged.

Now to the gist of my message which I think ought to give you some introspection: I would've gladly proxied for you on the make/model which you were seeking last Friday but quite frankly I was put off with your ways of digging in your heels in here. If you were surprised that for someone who had been around for a while and someone who other folks know about and seem to like, yet no on stepped up to the plate, you ought to consider that some of us read posts in here even if we do not contribute much in here any more because we're so tried and indifferent now toward the causes of Survive! Again, this is meant to act as an impetus for you to stop the festering and to move on. No offense is meant or intended toward you and I will be very glad to offer my help to you in the future in terms of proxying for you when our own personal interests do not conflict.

Telling that not even their most ardent supporters believe them any longer.

I will accept that epithet :) But not the "any longer". I have been following Guy and buying his products since the first GSO-10 run in late 2012 (not really very long ago, huh?) and delivery took 3 months. When I pre-ordered the first run of GSO-5.1's, it took 6 months, and I made a comment about delays and patience in my review: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...o-511-srkw-ratmandu-cattaraugus-225q.1102231/
And two years ago, I made another comment specifically on delivery estimates and delays in my 2016 GSO-5.1 review (really like that knife, btw): https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...d-with-swamp-rat-ratmandu-and-esee-6.1366826/

If you check my posts, Citori, you will find that i have been consistent on this point and have even encouraged folk to cancel their orders if they are bothered by them passing the delivery estimates. I personally tend to only pre-order knives from S!K as that is what I have been used to with them (same as with Busse and various custom makers, though most don't request 100% payment upfront like S!K did), and the delays have never bothered me. Like you said, I am an "ardent supporter" ;) Really, I am just a fellow who enjoys knives and enjoys seeing a company overcome struggles while trying to provide customers with an excellent product at a very good price. We all get to choose to whom we provide our support. I get folks dumping support for S!K because of the delays, makes total sense. What I do not get is folk arguing about their demise as a business or stuff like that. S!K could start taking orders again stating upfront some lead time like 2.5 yrs (I believe Randall's lead is 5.5?) and I expect that a great many people would buy in, and I should follow that with all maintained orders would be fulfilled as S!K has yet to fail there, they just take a really long time. Ellie mentioned somewhere on here what their refund-request levels are, and it is not high. They may have gained notoriety in some circles but they are still shipping out hundreds and hundreds of knives, if the production photos are anything to go by. They are making progress and the knives remain sought-after.

So for those frustrated, you can stick with it or tap out. For those on the side-lines, you can wait a few months for the SK-3.5s to begin showing up, or watch the secondary market, or simply look elsewhere. *shrug* Lots of good makers out there :cool:

LTS, I'm going to give you some unsolicited pieces of advice which I will start by the TL; DR version:

- For your own sake and sanity, refrain from piling on!

Now onto the more detailed version:

Luke, I like you as we were both customers of this maker / brethren of this sub-forum and are currently comrades under the umbrella of another maker whose products we love, enjoy and seek. I am glad that you decided to tap out to coin your own phrase for the sake of minimizing your risks, maintaining your sanity plus freeing up some funds to explore other options although IIRC you still have one active GSO order. So please understand that this response is not about defending Survive! because I am no longer a fan even if they had products on their shelves ready to be fulfilling orders! This post is meant as a friendly reminder for your own betterment and closure to move on because despite having been jerked around by Survive! for so long of a wait and yet no fulfillment period, you purportedly received a quick refund with much less hassle than what some other folks were experiencing just a handful of months back.

IMHO, it is not too classy on your part to come in here just to pile on regarding something which should be a moot point at this stage. I give you the right to be angry, frustrated and wanting to get things off your chest but I also see wrong and malice in coming here to express some opinion which is purely speculative. I understand that S! fooqued up big time and did many, many, many folks wrongly and deservedly lost lots of customers. Perhaps they even caused you some unintended harm by tying up your funds which enabled you to purchase other readily available gems. I just want you to know that I always try to put myself in the shoes of the person who feels wronged.

Now to the gist of my message which I think ought to give you some introspection: I would've gladly proxied for you on the make/model which you were seeking last Friday but quite frankly I was put off with your ways of digging in your heels in here. If you were surprised that for someone who had been around for a while and someone who other folks know about and seem to like, yet no on stepped up to the plate, you ought to consider that some of us read posts in here even if we do not contribute much in here any more because we're so tried and indifferent now toward the causes of Survive! Again, this is meant to act as an impetus for you to stop the festering and to move on. No offense is meant or intended toward you and I will be very glad to offer my help to you in the future in terms of proxying for you when our own personal interests do not conflict.

This reply was kind of confusing for me. I'm not sure if it's serious. I appreciate your concern with "my betterment" and your judgment of my class. I also understand you want me to censor my posts in return for your assistance in optaining highly sought after knives. And I understand you have the ability to make it more difficult for me to obtain those knives.

I agree I may be piling on, but it's also a PSA to put out the information of my experience with a company. Information isn't negative or positive, it's information for people to use. Those were my experiences and my opinions.

You should at some point check your ego and maybe be a little less judgey. You are an anonymous poster on an Internet knife forum, not any kind of authority. reread your post and consider the arrogance and piety of some of your statements/opinions.

Also if is was a troll/ joke - you got me!! Otherwise, jeez. Unreal.

This reply was kind of confusing for me. I'm not sure if it's serious. I appreciate your concern with "my betterment" and your judgment of my class. I also understand you want me to censor my posts in return for your assistance in optaining highly sought after knives. And I understand you have the ability to make it more difficult for me to obtain those knives.

I agree I may be piling on, but it's also a PSA to put out the information of my experience with a company. Information isn't negative or positive, it's information for people to use. Those were my experiences and my opinions.

You should at some point check your ego and maybe be a little less judgey. You are an anonymous poster on an Internet knife forum, not any kind of authority. reread your post and consider the arrogance and piety of some of your statements/opinions.

Also if is was a troll/ joke - you got me!! Otherwise, jeez. Unreal.

I feel badly to hear that was your take away from my post but the words left my keyboard and I own them without any apologies. For the record, I tried to be helpful not "judgy" but I do admit of having an abrasive personality at times that does not get along with everyone all the time. Further, I am not trying to obfuscate or censor you on anything in addition of not being a troll or a joker.

That is fine Luke as this place is big enough for us both without ever having to bump into one another uninvitedly. Cheers.

Hi, I will never buy "Survive! Knives" again, I ordered a "GSO 3.5" 2 years ago and have not got it yet.
It is not worth it. There are many other brands that are equally good such as "Bark River Knives" etc.
I'm only interested in quality knives that can last for many years, not certain brands.
:thumbsdown::mad::poop:

...There are many other brands that are equally good such as "Bark River Knives" etc.
I'm only interested in quality knives that can last for many years, not certain brands.
I don't mean to quibble with you on your 4th post ever, but did you "order" a 3.5 or did you "pre-order" a 3.5? You knew that the knife didn't exist and wouldn't exist until it came into production according to their set line-up, right?
Also, you might want to take a closer look into the history of that "quality" company. That is one of the very few that I prefer to never have business with, but YMMV.

I don't mean to quibble with you on your 4th post ever, but did you "order" a 3.5 or did you "pre-order" a 3.5? You knew that the knife didn't exist and wouldn't exist until it came into production according to their set line-up, right?
Also, you might want to take a closer look into the history of that "quality" company. That is one of the very few that I prefer to never have business with, but YMMV.

Dont feed the Troll Chiral. It was lucky enough to locate the copy & paste on the computer screen. I don't think it has ordered any knives from Survive! This kind of activity is very common with folks that favor the "other brand"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back