Southern Grind sold to Diamondback Firearms

I haven’t been keeping on the firearms industry for a while, I thought Db went under. They made that little .380, correct?

Their website is now a holding page with a header "Zac Brown's Southern Grind - A Division of Diamondback America"

I haven’t been keeping on the firearms industry for a while, I thought Db went under. They made that little .380, correct?

Yes, that was their first product. Apparently they also make AR variants and a 9mm striker-fired pistol.

This is surprising

Very. Zac Brown doesn't have much reason to sell, given his "day job." I always viewed it as a fun side-project that he did just because he liked knives. The two brands have been working together for a while, so maybe this is a way for him to to be "hands-off" but still have Southern Grind run by folks he trusts?

The only time I recall hearing much about Diamondback is when they first made the DB9 back when. There seemed to be quite a few people having issues with them when they first came out. I haven't heard much of anything since then.

I DO love the ad-copy. "Zac is excited to get fat paid by selling his knife company to this other company that we're making it sound has been super close and making this whole thing happen all along."

Looks like the guy is ready to put a fat stack in his pocket and move on. Good for him.

DB is fairly local to me so I like this from that stand point. I will say I’m a little worried about the future knives as DB hasn’t always been known for quality. They do seem to have turned things around lately as their AR-15 rifles are supposed to be pretty good. I just hope they don’t use the name and have everything made in China. I’d rather have a firearm company do without a knife line that to just have some garbage made in China and then slap their name on it. Looking at you S&W.

I've seen some comments on Instagram that they'll be moving their facility from Georgia to Florida. They specifically say the "physical equipment" will be the same, but I don't think the employees will be...

I don't follow firearms at all, but I've seen a few negative opinions on Diamondback's quality in discussions about the sale.

Hopefully they keep the quality up, and are able to keep producing new stuff too. Southern Grind is one of my favorites.

I DO love the ad-copy. "Zac is excited to get fat paid by selling his knife company to this other company that we're making it sound has been super close and making this whole thing happen all along."

Looks like the guy is ready to put a fat stack in his pocket and move on. Good for him.

So much this. Betting he's going to make himself another country-singer-owned whiskey brand, some fireball offshoot or such.

Get out before the liberals in charge crucify him as a "weapons manufacturer" ***

*** Not being political here... being realistical with the representative atmosphere at the moment is all

Betting he's going to make himself another country-singer-owned whiskey brand, some fireball offshoot or such.

He already tried that one, sold it off years ago. He's got a wine label, and it doesn't come in a box! Maybe he's trying to go after the high-class country music fan! :D

He's sold off a few of his side projects and "lifestyle brands" lately, maybe they're taking too much of his time, less profitable than he wants them to be, or he just lost interest.

I just really hope they stay USA made, they were also a U.S. OEM for some other knife companies, hopefully they can continue that work too.

Interesting that we don't get the outcry that we got when cold steel was sold. I wonder why?

SG is pretty small potatoes compared to CS, not near the following. They only have a few models, production is limited to what a small shop can produce and relative to CS they're pretty new, don't have the history or Lynn.

I don't think there are a lot of folks pining for a SG product, if you wanted one you probably have one. A good deal of the market came from Zac's fan base and his name. My wife's a big fan which got me interested. I've got a few, I like thumb studs and washers, they're a decent knife, on par w/BM but w/better edge grinds (not as hit or miss). I always wondered why the Bad Monkey used inferior steel compared to the Spider Monkey, seemed odd. I like the Spider Monkey for EDC but the clip could definitely use a redesign. Not a bad knife for ~ 200 bones, though as mentioned, probably on the premium side for materials but it's solid and simple.

This is interesting. I had a Spider Monkey years ago that I EDCed for a little while. It was a nice knife. One of the things that worried me about it though was that the screws were proprietary and I didn't know how long they'd stay in business if I needed future customer service.

When Southern Grind knives came out I met the older gentleman in charge of the shop at BLADE. Nice guy & knew what he was doing. I really liked the original knives, but thought they were asking too much money for a new company and the materials used. Always thought if they'd drop the price a bit, they'd of sold more and maybe generated more interest in their knives.

I was browsing House Of Blades on March 29, 2021 when I came across Southern Grind. Did a LOT of research (as best as I could on the web). They seemed to be well thought of as far as I could tell.

House Of Blades had two Spider Monkeys left, both special runs for House Of Blades. Only difference between them and the standard Spider Monkeys were that they had blue textured G-10 scales.

As many of you know I’ve only been at this for a month. I gave House Of Blades a call just to make sure the advertised price was in fact correct. He confirmed that it was, and they were blowing them out after they had been at a large gun/knife show the previous weekend in Dallas.

A $150.00 later it was mine. I felt that was a good price, but who knows, or cares? Mine is S/N 1880.

Mine is absolutely perfect in every way. Not excited about the proprietary hardware, but I now have the spanner bit, just in case.

It’s a shame they sold out. I might remove his music from my iPod. :p

Back