Spartan

$_58.JPG

I found this brand new for just a bit over 10 bucks. It has nylon scales instead of cellidor, which work well.
Anyway after sitting on my shelf for a couple of months I took it out and well it's dethroned my Explorer Plus. There is something about it's simplicity and compactness. It's odd as I have always liked the feel of the Explorers heft reminding me it's there. For the first time, I don't miss that. The Spartan just works.
Let's hear from other Spartan fans.

I am also a Spartan fanboy. It is my first real foray into SAKs. I wanted to try something a little smaller and possibly more useful than my other folders. I quickly learned to appreciate the versatility and size of this knife. Sad to say my Rat's and Bucks just don't see much pocket time anymore.

I am also a Spartan fanboy. It is my first real foray into SAKs. I wanted to try something a little smaller and possibly more useful than my other folders. I quickly learned to appreciate the versatility and size of this knife. Sad to say my Rat's and Bucks just don't see much pocket time anymore.
I know what you mean. I won't carry a folder unless it has atleast a screwdriver on it.

$_58.JPG

I found this brand new for just a bit over 10 bucks. It has nylon scales instead of cellidor, which work well.
Anyway after sitting on my shelf for a couple of months I took it out and well it's dethroned my Explorer Plus. There is something about it's simplicity and compactness. It's odd as I have always liked the feel of the Explorers heft reminding me it's there. For the first time, I don't miss that. The Spartan just works.
Let's hear from other Spartan fans.

If it has nylon scales, it's a Spartan eco or Spartan II, depending on country. It's one of those rare items where the cheaper version is superior to the original. Celidor looks nice, but is a legacy plastic that is susceptible to crazing when in contact with some common chemicals, like those found in insect repellent, and is more fragile (although I have never broken any of mine.). It also provides a less slippery grip when wet. The only drawback is with the Swiss cross trademark, which rubs off in much use, only a problem if there are vampires in your neighborhood..

The only drawback is with the Swiss cross trademark, which rubs off in much use, only a problem if there are vampires in your neighborhood..

Or if you are obsessive about the appearance of your knives, a very common ailment in these parts.

Yeah, but I am constantly having a debate with myself whether I want the Spartan or the Tinker in my pocket.

Well, people have a lot more difficult choices than a corkscrew or Phillips screwdriver decision!

I know, carry both.

Semper Paratus

Yeah, but I am constantly having a debate with myself whether I want the Spartan or the Tinker in my pocket.

Well, people have a lot more difficult choices than a corkscrew or Phillips screwdriver decision!

I know, carry both.

Semper Paratus

It comes down to whether or not you ever need a corkscrew while away from home. In my case, it was three times in thirty years, and oddly enough, two of those occasions took place on the very nights I had put a SAK with corkscrew in my pocket for the evening (Sportsman, not Spartan, but same principle.) With those kinds of odds, I probably won't need it. The small driver at the tip of the bottle opener does double duty on most ph heads, and not bad for most of them unless they are countersunk. I've tightened many a ph screw with one. However, for me, the Tinker is the preferred between it and Spartan because of the screwdriver, not only because it is the more effective implement, but the Tinker screwdriver, held in an open position protruding between the fingers, can also double as an effective fist load for certain social situations. "Be Prepared" is the Boy Scout motto I still live by. As for wine while out and about, I count on my host to own a corkscrew. If it goes missing, I'll drink beer.

Last edited:
I've had a Tinker Deluxe years ago and just didn't feel a need for the screwdriver with the one on the can opener pretty much taking care of phillips head screws for me. I find too many uses for the cork screw like undoing knots, unplugging small hoses like on windshield washers and other things. I also find the corkscrew is great at cleaning grit and paint out of phillips heads, works even better than a blade and you don't mess up your blade that way also.

Want to make some roundabout comments, ending up noting the cross trademark I have on an older SAK Climber.

I believe the Spartan is very close in size to my SAK Climber. I have had my Climber for 34 years now. I'm not certain what the handle composition is, but it still looks great after many years of EDC carry. I bought a new Climber last year, but somehow the "elder" keeps on jumping into my right front pocket!

I don't know if SAK made different composition or quality of their cross trademarks over the years. After so many years, my cross trademark on the elder Climber looks brand new, fully intact, no part of it rubbed away. I can also feel it quite raised above the handle itself. My new SAK's trademark is almost embedded in the handle as to where I can barely feel it. Wonder what the difference is? Anyway, my first Climber is a great knife and continues to do the many tasks that call on it. It has had a lot of use.

Sometimes being old is a good thing.;)

If it has nylon scales, it's a Spartan eco or Spartan II, depending on country. It's one of those rare items where the cheaper version is superior to the original. Celidor looks nice, but is a legacy plastic that is susceptible to crazing when in contact with some common chemicals, like those found in insect repellent, and is more fragile (although I have never broken any of mine.). It also provides a less slippery grip when wet. The only drawback is with the Swiss cross trademark, which rubs off in much use....

Want to make some roundabout comments, ending up noting the cross trademark I have on an older SAK Climber.

I believe the Spartan is very close in size to my SAK Climber. I have had my Climber for 34 years now. I'm not certain what the handle composition is, but it still looks great after many years of EDC carry. I bought a new Climber last year, but somehow the "elder" keeps on jumping into my right front pocket!

I don't know if SAK made different composition or quality of their cross trademarks over the years. After so many years, my cross trademark on the elder Climber looks brand new, fully intact, no part of it rubbed away. I can also feel it quite raised above the handle itself. My new SAK's trademark is almost embedded in the handle as to where I can barely feel it. Wonder what the difference is? Anyway, my first Climber is a great knife and continues to do the many tasks that call on it. It has had a lot of use.

Sometimes being old is a good thing.;)

There is a difference between the the Swiss cross trademark as applied on the cellidor as opposed to the SAK nylon scaled models, which includes the eco or II versions and the OH Trekker. As you noted, those on the regular Climber is somehow embedded (I don't know the process) and will outlast any amount of wear. Those on the nylon versions are painted on.

This is the painted version on the nylon scales after considerable use:
Tt6YWIq.jpg

yeah my old Explorer's painted logo is barely visible now, but I've got another one with similar years on its back but almost new looking shield

The Spartan is a staple of the Vic lineup. When I carried a cork screw model, I seldom used it. So, I went with another model as my regular. The untying of knots however might justify my changing models. I have one Spartan.

I've had a Tourist (84mm Spartan) for years. I can comfortably say that if I could only carry one pocketknife for the rest of my life, that'd be the one. Loaded with the little screwdriver that fits onto the corkscrew of course!

Zerb3w
There is hardly anything as good as the simplicity of the Spartan. I love mine so much I made custom scales for it....
OBvqp
zSK5J

ZercDN

Zerb3w

Last edited:
I carry a Spartan everyday regardless of what other knife I carry. So light and compact while being very versatile makes it my favorite of all my SAKs.

For me, the corkscrew is important. I own a catering company and being in different locations all the time, you just never know when the corkscrew will be needed. I am okay sacrificing the screwdriver since I can use the can opener end for phillips heads but can't really replace a corkscrew with anything.

I tried the Spartan Lite thinking it would be perfect with a corkscrew plus the inline phillips. It turned out to be too heavy and thick and the light was not much to brag about.

My first "plastic" SAK is the Spartan. I have had it for 2 weeks now. One feature that bugs me is how the corkscrew feels in the palm of your hand when you are using the main blade. Basically uncomfortable for me. I have a Tinker on order as it looks like the Phillips screw driver sits more flush with the body compared to the corkscrew which sticks out. Other then that, the Spartan is great.

One feature I like most about the SAK's in 91mm length (well I guess all of them), is how thin their main blade is. Everyone has different things they use their knife for and I seem to use mine the most to cut cardboard (no, I don't want to use a box cutter - I am a knife guy!) I have tried to find the best knives for that task and these are at the top (thin and smooth). I also like having multiple tools with me so these really fit the bill. My two cents.

Several years ago when Swiss Bianco had them in stock, I bought several sets of nylon scales (in black, red & blue) and converted all my daily use rotation SAKs to ECO models. So I have a clue Small Tinker, Black Climber, Black Tinker, Red Spartan, Red Tourist and a Red Hiker. Glad I bought nylon scales when I did because they are hard to find now.

Just a follow-up to my previous comment. I received my Tinker yesterday with the translucent Sapphire Blue scales. It is much more comfortable in my hand without the corkscrew (Tinker has the Phillips screwdriver instead). This Tinker also has the hole for the "pin" where my black Spartan did not. So now the Tinker is taking up pocket space.

Just a follow-up to my previous comment. I received my Tinker yesterday with the translucent Sapphire Blue scales. It is much more comfortable in my hand without the corkscrew (Tinker has the Phillips screwdriver instead). This Tinker also has the hole for the "pin" where my black Spartan did not. So now the Tinker is taking up pocket space.
You must have soft hands for the corkscrew to be a problem. Myself, I have never liked the phillips on the Tinker, had a Tinker Deluxe (?) that also had that next to useless pliers. The phillips worked, that's all, never had a situation that couldn't be handled by the can opener screwdriver though I imagine there are such situations that call for a real phillips, Unfortuneately, the backside phillips often couldn't reach.
I find too many uses for the corkscrew to give it up.

You must have soft hands for the corkscrew to be a problem. Myself, I have never liked the phillips on the Tinker, had a Tinker Deluxe (?) that also had that next to useless pliers. The phillips worked, that's all, never had a situation that couldn't be handled by the can opener screwdriver though I imagine there are such situations that call for a real phillips, Unfortuneately, the backside phillips often couldn't reach.
I find too many uses for the corkscrew to give it up.

Mostly true, but it can be thwarted by countersunk screws. Personally, I prefer the Tinker style, mostly because of the SD capability of the backside mounted driver. When protruded between two fingers, it makes an effective fist load, this according to some Vietnam vets I knew who were otherwise not permitted to carry weapons when off duty in cities infested with snatch and run thieves. However, I own both PH and corkscrew mounted SAKS, and like them each for their capabilities.

Last edited:
Back