Spear-Carriers!

I love spear blades. Here's my recently discussed Ben Hogan:

4In4jKhl.jpg

I've got a few others I'll try to get pictures of.

I actually really like the fat spear on the #85, but I sold mine in rotten banana. Not sure that was a great idea.

Is that yours Will? She's a beauty, no need to own anything else.

Here are a couple of mine.

12727862465_f650a2a7c8_c.jpg

46594275095_e7bcf26e94_c.jpg

I'm fortunate to say it is mine Christian and one of a kind:cool: I wish I could concur with your other statement ;) but with knives it's like going to a library and only choosing one book or a picture gallery and admiring one picture;) My excuse, poor but....

Nice Hampton Will! It took me a while to figure out that spear blades on vintage knives need to be symmetrical. A lot of times the blade side is worn down. Here's an early Winchester with spear blade.
rEBDvz2.jpg

hDY4mdb.jpg

Sensational Spear Mike! A great oldie with beautiful bone, Stabber Jack blade there alright:D:cool:

Nice thread idea, Will!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Spearpoint is my favorite blade shape, and I imagine a major contributing reason for that is that my first pocket knife had a spear main. Here it is, a Colonial Forest-Master:
0mRTlY3.jpg

Here's a Rough Rider whittler to which I was drawn because of its spear main blade:
ZVvJkw1.jpg

- GT

Z9xNvYi.jpg

I have quite a few spears, but this old Challenge is my favorite. Thin edge, gets scary sharp and holds the edge pretty good. The blade is remarkably full despite being a century old, and in the right light the blade etch is still visible.The tip of the punch is intact, its just stuck a bit into the post.
V4frbli.jpg
This one is a really close runner up, was pretty grungey when I found it. Its a Camillus Army post exchange knife. That's 70 years of earned patina right there. Two of the things I like about it go hand in hand. One this knife seems to be kinda rare nowadays, and two, I found it in the bottom of a bowl of knives at a antique shop. Poor little fella been passed over God knows how many times because it was full of gunk. Old motor oil and grease gunk. So here sits this rare little gem in the bottom of a bowl, neglected until a newbie traditional knife knut saves it. I just thought it was really neat with its caplifter.
QYYHLRI.jpg

And 2 more that I really really like. The Camillus 23, I like the idea of the big 'ol workhorse of a knife all dressed up. Hard for me to get pics that do the MOP justice. Somebody also did some simple but neat file work on the blades and backsprings. And last but by far not least, a Schrade Cut Co. whittler graciously gifted to me by @blademan 13 . This is such a neat little knife,again I can't do the MOP justice. Thin scalpel like blades, very sharp. I think it makes such a good companion to the big 23. I have others, but these are my favorites.

Last edited:
Back