Off Topic Springtime is lovely for a stroll in the snark

Status
Not open for further replies.

daizee

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Barkeep, I'll have a double Tom Pollens, please!

"welding is a good skill - but if you're going to weld on galvanized, drink milk before and after.", 1066vik
Best bet, don't. But, if you must, be upwind of the smoke, or else. {IBTL}

Last edited:
In on 1! Doesn't feel much like spring over here - it decided to head straight on into summer...

The hounds dig it though.

Gl6GUHw.jpg

Been unusually cool here. Woke up to 37° yesterday morning.

In on 1!

Vic, I would weld an aluminum frame together but have it bolted to the galvanized frame of the trailer.

Just determined that the drain on one our water heaters is frozen tight with corrosion. Found that out when I needed to drain it to change out the heating element. Now waiting on a plumber who knows what he is doing, re: removing a frozen drain valve.

Welding aluminum to galvanized, ... gonna need an alloy shifter. I think tractor supply had them before the chinese flu.

In on 1. 😎

Opened up my pool yesterday, don’t know when it’ll be warm enough to use it.

Welding aluminum to galvanized, ... gonna need an alloy shifter. I think tractor supply had them before the chinese flu.

I wouldn't weld the galvanized at all... I'd drill holes in the galvanized steel and bolt a welded aluminum frame to the galvanized metal. I'd only weld on the aluminum for the trailer. This will be a practice project... The trailer is probably 30 years old. Galvanized parts still look pretty good but the leaf springs and other areas are rusted up. I've replaced all the lights, tires, wheels and wiring... But it still needs some work.

I've also been sketching up something to make a small camper out of a newer trailer. With roof racks so I could bring a couple kayaks camping. Keep gear in the truck and just sleep in the camper. Big enough for a queen size bed. I've looked up quite a few plans, and other homemade campers for inspiration.

I hear that, my former boat had a galvanized trailer with rusted hardware, pretty standard fare on boat trailers.
(I was joking about galvanized and aluminum being welded.) They actually use explosion welding to create material for interfacing aluminum superstructures and steel hulls. There is a sport boat out of San Diego built that way, 'The Independence'.
For speed and ease of operation, I actually prefer a spoolgun connected to a mig power source of sufficient capacity and a bottle of argon. It almost makes aluminum welding tolerable for me. :p

Been a while, to be in on 1 here...not posting much lately, balancing many plates. But this here is dang good therapy, and got my 40 folder yesterday, so...

Strange how so many dont even know of lexington and concord. My paternal forefathers (and a few other forebears) fought at concord. Its nice to know where my family gets all their defiance from.

Can't argue with good fishing. I just hope the heat takes its time rolling in. We've only touched the 90's a few times this year.

I hear that, my former boat had a galvanized trailer with rusted hardware, pretty standard fare on boat trailers.
(I was joking about galvanized and aluminum being welded.) They actually use explosion welding to create material for interfacing aluminum superstructures and steel hulls. There is a sport boat out of San Diego built that way, 'The Independence'.
For speed and ease of operation, I actually prefer a spoolgun connected to a mig power source of sufficient capacity and a bottle of argon. It almost makes aluminum welding tolerable for me. :p

Haha, there's also a USS Independence on the bottom of the ocean outside of San Francisco bay.
Nuked and then sunk. Wouldn't want to get them confused. Bet there was some eplosion-welded steel on that one too.

When @nautiluslive dove on it (w/ Hercules ROV) a few years back they had to do some sort of modest radiation testing protocol when the vehicles came back on board.

95% of gas stations around here are bone dry... Good times.

After 25 years of saying they would do it... The dirt road I live on has been paved. They finished today. Still have to paint the lines, if they even do it... But at least it's paved. Will be nice to be able to keep my vehicle clean for longer than 1 day...

I guess I'll actually have my truck professionally detailed soon. But love bugs have started to strike too... Can't win.

What's y'all's opinion on that Becker folder?

Yeah naw, differnt boat! 😁 The key prefix being USS as opposed to CPFV Independence. She is actually one of the high liners of the long range sportfishing fleet in Sandy Eggo. Beautiful boat, the owners were guests on a local radio show recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back