Spyderco Sprint Runs...Collect or use?

What do you do with your Spyderco Sprint knives.

• I carry and use it.

• Its stays unused in my collection

Results are only viewable after voting.
For the first time in the hobby, I was able to purchase a Spyderco Sprint Run Para 2. In the past I always missed the window to get one.

Now that I have one I don't want to use it. It is kind of strange, as I normally have no problems using knives.

I have no problems using my Sebenza, so cost is not the issue. I think it's that I cannot replace it.

What do you do with your Sprint runs?

blgPwXd.jpg

All of my knives get used and have a purpose. That includes sprints. I see sprint runs as a way to get more utility out of a design I already like.

However, I only have 3 Spyderco sprint runs. A Maxamet, 52100, and M4.

I get knives so that I can cut stuff with them.

If I get a sprint run, it's because it has features I like better than the original model. Nothing more.

If a sprint run doesn't offer features that I find utilitarian, I don't need it.

I won't buy a sprint run just because of the scarcity of the product.

I change the scales, because I don't like the flat stock g10, and carry them (occasionally). I want to like the PM2 more; but it just isn't a favorite. I should probably start adding them to the list of knives to sell; but I haven't quite gotten there.

I use all my sprint runs. If I wanted safe queens I would buy 2 I guess. I say use it and enjoy it. :D

Really no wrong answer. If your a collector or want to be one you collect. Collectors usually have some theme. If you bought it because you always wanted a certain configuration for your user-use. If you plan to sell don't use.

Use it. I don't have a sprint though, just two exclusives (BBS pm2 and blade hq manix 2 xl). I have carried both and used both. I have a collection, but I'm not a "collector". I say use them, enjoy them. Or just handle them once in a while and enjoy them. Whatever makes you happy.

I feel like the collectors aren't showing up lol. I surely know a handful of people that collect sprint runs and keep the replaceable ones as users.

Your knives are yours, do what you want with them!

The ones I really like, I try to buy 2 units. One to keep, one to use. The biggest challenge being the short decision window and the current money situation.

I don’t see much point in owning something I don’t/won’t use. Granted I suppose owning more than a couple knives doesn’t make a ton of sense either yet here we are... anyways, off the top of my head I can think of only two in my collection/rotation that are sprints. Both Cruwear! My first Spydie was my CW Manix2 and I didn’t even know about the whole sprint run thing. I just wanted something other than yet another black g10 offering. Turns out CW is my favourite steel so I grabbed a PM2 when a run came out. Use both all the time.

I have a sprint that I use a lot. Delica Vtoku-2 that is courtesy of a generous GAW from @Fixall.
Great knife. Best put together Delica I’be ever held.

I have a dealer exclusive Manix 2 LW in my favorite steel (XHP) that’s still pretty much NIB. That’s only because I have plenty of other knives to carry. When the day comes, she’ll get put to use.

The rampant Sprint Run mania/sell-out-in-minutes BS has been a real turn off for me. *cough*Spyderco*cough*

This conundrum is why I have for the most part (never say never ;)) decided to avoid most of these highly sought after Spyderco sprint runs. I like to use my knives, and I particularly consider my Spydercos to be users. My current thoughts on the subject can be summed up in a recent post I made in the Spyderco sub-forum about micarta sprints, rather than repeat myself I'll paste it here:

Some of the beauty of micarta is that it darkens over time and or gains character as you use it. That IMO doesn't mesh well with collectors item that will sell for a premium because it's rare. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one that would buy one of these knives with the intention of flipping it, I would want to use it; but when a knife that should be a user starts selling in the secondary market at twice retail the opportunity cost of what other knives you could have with that money comes into consideration. When a $200 knife becomes a $400 knife for no reason other than scarcity, one can't help but wonder, "Why not just have a $400 knife?".

Interesting as I’m struggling with why I am buying knives. I have at least 20 folders. I could never use them up, but I can’t seem to bring myself to use these sprints. I bought most of them due to unique steels. I have been trying to use a few and decide what I like or dislike about them.

I know it is unlikely I will ever use my Caly 3 and 3.5 Super blue. I keep using my SB delica. I just ordered a PM2 4V just because they had them in stock. I need to take a hard look at this hobby. Perhaps I should move my focus to sharpening.

I think we are fully aware that most of us will answer unequivocally to use you knife... perfect occasion to build some stories and romances with your unique sprint run

Back