Spur some discussion with your pics

Guys say it's too dead in here, so lets spark up some banter with some sword pics and collection pics eh?

Pic one is of Darksword Armory swords from left to right- Ranger- Boromir-Grayson(or Torino depending on who you ask)

Pic two is left to right- Cold Steel Grosse Messer- Custom from Michael Axen- Valiant Armory Agincourt

Pic three is of Paul Chen swords left to right- Practical Katana- Practical Wak- Dancing Crane Wak- Zatoichi stick sword

Last pic is a sword like object that I got at a garage sale for 25 simoleans- CAS Iberia Dark Shadow sword, not functional but looks really cool in person.

Chuck

Attachments

• 060.jpg
    060.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 118
  • 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 062.jpg
    062.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 063.jpg
    063.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 108
Ok, I'll bite.

Do you have a direction you're hoping the conversation will go? Do you want something deep and insightful? Or do you just want to hear compliments about your collection, and see pretty pictures so you can compliment other people's collections?

With all due respect, you just pulled the "blade" equivalent of showing a bunch of guys a bunch of pictures of naked girls--and then you asked them to start a conversation. It just won't happen when everyone is sitting there staring and drooling.

Unless of course you give them direction. Who has the nicest chest? If the red head was your mom would you still hit that? Who has the nicest butt? Etc.

That being said, what are you looking for? I can tell you that they're all nice looking, but not having owned any of them I can't tell you more.

Hey it's a start

My Mom is a redhead, and no I wouldn't hit it. That out of the way, what swords do you own? Got any preferences?

Don't need compliments, I know what I like and it aint everyone elses likes, so I am happy with myself;)

I was hoping that someone would chime in with a "Hey that looks like a so and so and I find them to be too flexible for thrusting" or maybe a "Where did you get that at, was the price right" or perhaps a "Why in the flipping heck do you even own a stainless bladed wall hanger"

Chuck

I honestly don't own any swords. For me a sword should have some sense of mystery and magic when you pick it up. It should be an object with some history. I know that isn't entirely logical, but that's what I believe. If I'm going to invest in something it should be special--otherwise what's the point really?

Someday I'll find the right one. But for now I just enjoy looking. Do any of those blades wiggle when you shake them? I suppose a more scientific sounding way of phrasing that would be, how much flex do the blades have?

How about photos or discussions of how to display your swords? I have around 40 swords and they just lean against the wall or hang out in the closet.

For me a sword should have some sense of mystery and magic when you pick it up.

I've come across a lot of people who tend to make this statement, and I've never understood it.

When questioned why, the general answer is because the sword has a long history of warfare. It's been used far longer than the firearm, so people claim a "connection" with it.

The connection is a fallacy. The perceived connection is only due to the sword's depiction in literature, film, television, comics, etc. If the historical use of a weapon throughout history lead to a metaphysical connection with the user, then there are weapons that have been used by our species for far longer.

The spear, a composite weapon consisting of a wooden shaft tipped with a stone or metal point, has been used from prehistory, right up until the fall of melee combat on the battlefield. It was a weapon, as well as a hunting tool. In fact, it was used far MORE on battlefields for several reasons:
A] Longer reach.
B] More flexible as a fighting weapon (as in thrusting, cutting, and even as a quarterstaff should the need arise).
C] Cheaper to produce en masse.
D] Quicker to train troops with.

And when it comes to history, we can go back even further. If you think you have a connection with a sword, then you should damn well have a connection with a simple, wooden club.

Where I find the biggest problems is that there's no qualification for these "connections". It's usually(USUALLY) someone who knows nothing of swords, claiming this connection to a $10 wallhanger (I've seen this, first hand). To claim such a thing with a custom, well-made sword I can somewhat comprehend; granted I'd call it liveliness of the sword which stems from its balance and design, not magic. But a piece of junk stamped out and cobbled together in Pakistan? Nuh-uh. No.

There's another group of people who seem steadfast in their belief that swords are just "better" than guns. That it takes no skill to use a firearm AT ALL, and that you must train for years to kill with a sword. These people are imbeciles, period. They've immersed themselves into their fantasy, and will make any excuse to justify their beliefs. I've had someone like this honestly state that between bring killed by a gangbanger with a .38 and a gangbanger with a wallhanger katana, they would at least "respect" the latter for having to come in close and put forth effort and some supposed "skill".

Hopefully I've stirred the pot up a bit.

I'll bite ! here a few pics:

Masahiro.jpg

horimono.jpg

2 tanto by Masahiro

You may have, but not my pot. ;)

For me a blade with "Made in China" stamped across the blade, or near the bolster has no appeal. I don't buy, as a rule, things that are mass produced. I like things that are unique. If I buy a sword it darn well better not wobble, it better be well fitting, and it better be well made--and when that day comes I will pay the appropriate amount to get what I want. Which would be functional art.

I'd love to have a civil war cavalry saber, not because I like swords, but because I don't know its history--and then I can use my imagination. (I'm not a sword person at all; I'd much rather have an axe.) That is really the only way a sword will have "meaning" for me if you will. Unless I spent thousands of dollars on a piece of art, and then it would still be more of an investment and a piece of art than something I truly cherished.

So yes I, like the rest of the Western World, was raised in a society that romanticized the sword. It was in almost every fantasy book I read, it was in almost every fantasy game I played, and every time I came across a sword it was always portrayed as better than every other weapon out there.

So I'm not looking for a connection with the object, but with the maker of the object or the previous owner of the object. And sure, it may not be a real connection, it may be imagined, but it makes me feel better.

I've come across a lot of people who tend to make this statement, and I've never understood it.

When questioned why, the general answer is because the sword has a long history of warfare. It's been used far longer than the firearm, so people claim a "connection" with it.

The connection is a fallacy. The perceived connection is only due to the sword's depiction in literature, film, television, comics, etc. If the historical use of a weapon throughout history lead to a metaphysical connection with the user, then there are weapons that have been used by our species for far longer.

The spear, a composite weapon consisting of a wooden shaft tipped with a stone or metal point, has been used from prehistory, right up until the fall of melee combat on the battlefield. It was a weapon, as well as a hunting tool. In fact, it was used far MORE on battlefields for several reasons:
A] Longer reach.
B] More flexible as a fighting weapon (as in thrusting, cutting, and even as a quarterstaff should the need arise).
C] Cheaper to produce en masse.
D] Quicker to train troops with.

And when it comes to history, we can go back even further. If you think you have a connection with a sword, then you should damn well have a connection with a simple, wooden club.

Where I find the biggest problems is that there's no qualification for these "connections". It's usually(USUALLY) someone who knows nothing of swords, claiming this connection to a $10 wallhanger (I've seen this, first hand). To claim such a thing with a custom, well-made sword I can somewhat comprehend; granted I'd call it liveliness of the sword which stems from its balance and design, not magic. But a piece of junk stamped out and cobbled together in Pakistan? Nuh-uh. No.

There's another group of people who seem steadfast in their belief that swords are just "better" than guns. That it takes no skill to use a firearm AT ALL, and that you must train for years to kill with a sword. These people are imbeciles, period. They've immersed themselves into their fantasy, and will make any excuse to justify their beliefs. I've had someone like this honestly state that between bring killed by a gangbanger with a .38 and a gangbanger with a wallhanger katana, they would at least "respect" the latter for having to come in close and put forth effort and some supposed "skill".

Hopefully I've stirred the pot up a bit.

Chuck I will post some pics of swords.

It is a good thread idea

I had these on my computer so I will start there.

I have mostly Japanese stuff but I wish I would have gotten a europeab style sword from Paul Champagne before he passed.

Hartsfield

Matching Katana and WAk
Swords009.jpg

Swords010.jpg

Swords007.jpg

Favorite Katana by Phill
Swords012.jpg

Swords013.jpg

Scott Slobodian
Swords021.jpg

Michael Bell
Swords022.jpg

Swords024.jpg

Paul Champagne
Swords027.jpg

Last edited:
I honestly don't own any swords. For me a sword should have some sense of mystery and magic when you pick it up. It should be an object with some history. I know that isn't entirely logical, but that's what I believe. If I'm going to invest in something it should be special--otherwise what's the point really?

Someday I'll find the right one. But for now I just enjoy looking. Do any of those blades wiggle when you shake them? I suppose a more scientific sounding way of phrasing that would be, how much flex do the blades have?

They are all special to me in a way. I purchased each of them because they appealed to me first visually, and second because of their functionality.

I was and am one of those guys that read Robert E. Howard, Tolkien, Fritz Lieber, Eric Van Lustbader and others and enjoy tales of swords and sorcery.

I fully understand your statement about knowing when the right blade comes along and feeling something special about it. It is not logical, probably makes no sense to anyone else, but to you it does and so it doesn't matter to the rest of the world.

The geek in me takes over where swords from the LOTR movies come into play, as long as they are functional I lust after them, thats my illogical sword hangup.

None of the blades pictured are whats called "WHIPPY" that is to say that at this point I dont trust myself enough to cut with a sword with a really flexible blade. I try to practice thrusting as well as cutting and I fear that I'll flub the move and the blade will bend and take a set. While that may not be such a concern with a broader blade profile such as found on a western cut and thrust sword, it is still my preference.

They all flex to an extent. The best example is the Axen custom, which will flex 8 to 10 inches and not take a set. The Ranger sword is a chunk and you really have to lever it hard to get it to flex 6 inches. It is the equivalent of a sharpened prybar for sure, but I like to think that it would make quick work of chain mail;)

I'll bite ! here a few pics:

Masahiro.jpg

horimono.jpg

2 tanto by Masahiro

The horimono on that blade is outstanding, very cleanly executed and detailed. Masahiro swords are reviewed well, unfortunately I haven't been bitten by the Katana bug and set out to collect many.

I felt obliged to posess at least one and so I bought the Chen Practical Kat and Wak. I saw the dancing Crane Wak and it appealed to me visually. The Zatoichi I bought at a gun show for 75 bucks because it was different.

Chuck

LOL..no Chuck....those blades are from THE smith Masahiro

I took the pics in the Ueno Museum in Tokyo;)

Some More

Bugei
Swords025.jpg

Swords029.jpg

Here is an antique Nihonto that Michael Bell did the fittings for
I have included a tang rubbing
Swords047.jpg

Swords043.jpg

Swords041.jpg

Swords040.jpg

Swords037.jpg

Notice the hardwood saya with a soft ho wood lineing
Swords042.jpg

If I ever find the time I will take pics of the rest

Here is one of my favorites

Barret / Mills started out as iron ore sand
Swords033.jpg

Swords031.jpg

Swords035.jpg

Swords034.jpg

Swords032.jpg

Swords036.jpg

Last edited:
Wow JP, that is an impressive collection. It makes my collection look like crap but I will be there one day for sure.

here are some of mine. The pics are kind of old.

CIMG1058.jpg

Okay, I'll bite again. Which of those Katana would I use if I wanted to face a car in epic battle?

Chuckinohio: See, now that's one thing that drives me nuts. In my mind a sword should not flex. I've never owned a real sword, and I've only held the swords that one would find in the possession of a "mall ninja". (You know, the kind of person who has a TV worth several thousands but thinks that his $150 sword is high end (and if you compare it to the $30 swords you can find in the same establishment it probably is...).)

I get that the spine should be "softer" than the blade for the purpose of shock absorption, but the flex just seems odd and out of place on a weapon. Of course, I'm also the type of person who looks at a knife made out of 1/8" stock and thinks that it needs significantly more metal.

fore something a bit different a custom Thai Daab (Dha)

JAdoneUM.jpg

Got to love darb/dha! :thumbup: I've got a small one myself:

Dha20060409b_sm.jpg

Dha20070902h_sm.jpg

This was the only knife purchase of mine that customs ever gave me grief over.

Here's an HI Uddha by Master Kami Bura:

UddhaSwordByBuraInHand20070916_sm.jpg

TFW Kris:

FilipinoKris20080329b_sm.jpg

Back