Spyderco 2021 Lists: Delivered & Upcoming

The PM2 is also a really nice knife that's made in the USA.

It averages out to hit a lot of folks requirements and because it's made in house it's going to be easier to use for exclusive runs.

GItwYHa.jpg

Last edited:
Poliwog CPM-M4 Satin PlainEdge Blade Natural G-10 C98GM4P BladeHQ (Japan) is Coming Soon for $185.50.

uz1JRqf.jpg

BD1N stainless steel is actually more corrosion resistant than S30V/S35VN/S45VN but not very good at edge retention.

3fRmcgi.jpg

While it does have excellent corrosion resistance, BD1N isn't worse by all that much in real-world edge retention. Remember that these values are based on Larrin Larrin 's particular heat treatments and may reflect specific features of testing conditions that differ from your real-world use. Looking at the data here, we have the following numbers for edge retention:

3.0 8Cr13Mov
3.5 BD1N
4.5 VG-10
5.0 S35VN
5.5 S45VN
6.0 S30V

Based on those numbers, BD1N would be significantly worse than VG-10 and not much better than 8Cr13Mov. Does that line up with anyone's actual experience using Spyderco knives in those steels?

Coincidentally, 440A has the same 3.5 rating as BD1N. Has anyone here ever used a production knife in 440A that could keep up with their Spyderco in BD1N?

A 3.5 beats...

Aeb-L
LC200N
Nitro-V

No one turns their head at LC200N and I've had great results with Nitro-V...

My best friend de-boned his deer with Nitro-V. He was impressed with the results, after hitting bone..
Says, his BM s30v wouldn't of taken it.

A 3.5 beats...

Aeb-L
LC200N
Nitro-V

No one turns their head at LC200N and I've had great results with Nitro-V...

My best friend de-boned his deer with Nitro-V. He was impressed with the results, after hitting bone..
Says, his BM s30v wouldn't of taken it.

That's part of my point. Remember that game, which of these things doesn't belong?

3.0 = AEB-L, 14C28N, Nitro-V, LC200N, 8Cr13Mov
3.5 = BD1N, 440A

A step above 8cr and a step below vg10 feels right for me for BD1N. I definitely don't get better than vg10 and almost s30v performance.

Larrin kind of makes a “uniform” blade of various steels for testing (somewhat similar to Mule Teams). It may not be “real world” to some but it’s meant to level the playing field. For some corrosion resistance matters not. However, for many others it matters a great deal and so does edge retention. I’ve been quite disappointed in ZDP-189 and XHP as light EDC folders in my area of SoCal with an abundance of sea salt and sweat (I stopped carrying both a long time ago). Even S30V/S35VN has given stains (due to leaving food particles like Soy Sauce). I’ve had very good such performance (corrosion resistance + edge retention) from M390/20CV/204P granted I use small EDC folders. This is also granting LC200N, H1, Vanax and MagnaCut (I’ve used folders with tremendous success in all of those except MagnaCut) better corrosion resistant (let’s say near corrosion proof) and toughness (which I don’t need in a slim and thin 3” blade length folder).

3fRmcgi.jpg

BjaPRNr.jpg

More Upcoming Dealer Exclusives:

1. Poliwog CPM-M4 Satin PlainEdge Blade Natural G-10 C98GM4P BladeHQ (Japan) for $185.50
  2. Native5 CPM-M4 Black DLC Blade Mint FRN BladeHQ (USA)
  3. ParaMilitary2 Elmax Satin Blade Marbled Carbon Fiber C81MCFP2 Fradon Lock (USA) for $235.00
  4. ParaMilitary2 CTS-BD1N Satin PlainEdge Blade "Cosmic Arc" Textured Red Aluminum C81ALPRD2 BladeHQ (USA)
  5. ParaMilitary2 CTS-BD1N Satin PlainEdge Blade "Cosmic Arc" Textured Orange Aluminum C81ALPOR2 BladeHQ (USA)
  6. ParaMilitary2 CTS-BD1N Satin PlainEdge Blade "Cosmic Arc" Textured Black Aluminum C81ALPBK2 BladeHQ (USA)
  7. ParaMilitary2 CPM-M4 Satin Blade Jungle Wear Fat Carbon Fiber Smoky Mountain Knife Works (USA)
  8. ParaMilitary2 CPM-M4 Satin Blade Lava Flow Fat Carbon Fiber Smoky Mountain Knife Works (USA)

Geez, I got off the Paramilitary2 train a long time ago. Anyone know where the Swick train is?

Larrin kind of makes a “uniform” blade of various steels for testing (somewhat similar to Mule Teams). It may not be “real world” to some but it’s meant to level the playing field. For some corrosion resistance matters not. However, for many others it matters a great deal and so does edge retention. I’ve been quite disappointed in ZDP-189 and XHP as light EDC folders in my area of SoCal with an abundance of sea salt and sweat (I stopped carrying both a long time ago). Even S30V/S35VN has given stains (due to leaving food particles like Soy Sauce). I’ve had very good such performance (corrosion resistance + edge retention) from M390/20CV/204P granted I use small EDC folders. This is also granting LC200N, H1, Vanax and MagnaCut (I’ve used folders with tremendous success in all of those except MagnaCut) better corrosion resistant (let’s say near corrosion proof) and toughness (which I don’t need in a slim and thin 3” blade length folder).

3fRmcgi.jpg

BjaPRNr.jpg

I’m surprised about your corosion experience with XHP!
In spite of it’s reputation for not-the-best stain resistance, I’ve never had any problems with it—even when I lived in San Diego. My carry/use was probably different from yours though (it never saw saltwater directly).

I will say that I bought a Chaparral for my son (lives on Oahu…not good at maintaining stuff) then thought better of it. I gave him a Salt 2 in Lc200N instead.

I’m surprised about your corosion experience with XHP!
In spite of it’s reputation for not-the-best stain resistance, I’ve never had any problems with it—even when I lived in San Diego. My carry/use was probably different from yours though (it never saw saltwater directly).

I will say that I bought a Chaparral for my son (lives on Oahu…not good at maintaining stuff) then thought better of it. I gave him a Salt 2 in Lc200N instead.

I could carry XHP or even D2 for most of the year. Then summer happens. The humidity can stay up over 90% for long stretches and I tend to sweat. When it's really bad, even AUS-8 can take an occasional spot. So using Larrin's chart, I like to stay above 7 for all-year carry. I've never had an issue with any of the steels rated 7.5 and up.

We'll have to see what next summer has in store. I've recently picked up a few knives in Nitro-V and that's another 7.

I'm really happy with my Dragonfly 2 K390 Wharncliffe. It arrived a couple of days before Xmas after an 11 month wait. It was worth the wait.

It's replaced my Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189 as my daily driver.

Poliwog CPM-M4 Satin PlainEdge Blade Natural G-10 C98GM4P BladeHQ (Japan) will be available on Tuesday, December 29, 2021 at 10:00am MT for $185.50.

X673dSG.jpg

Dragonfly2 LightWeight K390 Wharncliffe Blade Blue FRN C28FP2WK390 (Japan) is/was in stock at some U.S. dealers.

c28fp2wk390_1_1.jpg

c28fp2wk390_2_.jpg

c28fp2wk390_3_.jpg

Back