Spyderco Advocate bearing Race A total Failure..

i will not buy another spyderco product because they dont stand behind their products. at LEAST with benchmade you can pay a small fee and get a blade replaced. spyderco wont even offer that as an option . they should recall all the spyderco advocates or send out free repair kits to every owner as they request them. or send them a redesigned pivot with washers instead of bearings .

Your statement is a blanket one, and does not cover all scenarios. Spyderco has stood behind their products. They are addressing the advocate. Benchmade does have much fewer design variances than spyderco. By doing research you can find out prior to what the terms and conditions are prior to purchase. If you like buy it, if not don't. Pretty simple. Thanks for sharing.

Advocate..$227.97..not a cheap knife at all..with normal use and care that knife should last years and years.

These types of threads reminds me why 95% of the time I only buy when they go discontinued..

These types of issues are long worked out.

Prices..MAP pricing goes out the window..really dislike MAP pricing.

My Adovcate is perfect but I say steer clear of fiddling with the pivot. Sal and the crew will take care of this. I had a CF ZDP-189 Caly 3.5 that was gritty beyond any cleaning fix. Spyderco exhanged it for a new one.

All very logical, but bearing based pivot systems work in many knives and configurations. The TiLock has the bearings held in some kind of plastic (nylon?) cage. My Eros has them loose in a race (?). I've cut the backs out of chickens with both knives and they both have more than enough structural integrity. The Eros is a small light weight knife and except for a loose pivot screw that needed locktite within the first month, it has held up like new for 4 years.

Logic is not always "right." For example, the Endura was a great knife until user "logic" demanded steel liners and a less pointy tip, however my FRN-only spydercos have never failed and are lighter and if you know how to use a knife, the pointy tip was a joy.

Im very interested in what sal would do when he inspects it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would just like to know approximately when we are going to get a resolution to this issue.

I've been wanting one, but am in a holding pattern until this is sorted. I'd love to see one of the aftermarket sources offer phosphor washers in the exact size to replace the bearings in the advocate. Even a thin bronze washer with a steel spacer to back it up would be rock-n-roll in my books. My Gayle Bradley 1 flicks out effortlessly and smoothly on washers. Would be a great flipper if it had a flipper tab.

I would just like to know approximately when we are going to get a resolution to this issue.

Amen! In the meantime I ordered some washers that hopefully will work as replacements. A guy on the Spyderco facebook group found some that work but are slightly too thick at .20. I found some that are .16, so hopefully they work.

Amen! In the meantime I ordered some washers that hopefully will work as replacements. A guy on the Spyderco facebook group found some that work but are slightly too thick at .20. I found some that are .16, so hopefully they work.

Nylon or PB?

Let us know how they end up working out if you get a chance.

Why not get the .20 and sand them to a perfect fit? Like CRK does with their washers.

This thread got me thinking that if I could grind off the flipper tab from a Southard and add PB washers instead of ballbearings it'd almost be my perfect spydie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe I got really lucky, but my Domino & Southard have been perfect for a couple of years now. Just as smooth as any other bearing flipper I have.
Both have been carried, used and flipped.....plenty!
Was really looking forward to grabbing an Advocate, but don't want to push my luck. Waiting for Sal's response.
Joe
Pics.....cause why not!!
be3376cfa8830de5bdde8968d5a6399e.jpg

ceebde211896ee5afaf8622c4ad6597b.jpg

This thread got me thinking that if I could grind off the flipper tab from a Southard and add PB washers instead of ballbearings it'd almost be my perfect spydie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still think the best way to go is to mill a pocket in each scale and insert a stainless steel bearing race in it-not a washer.

As for parts. They always have done that.

You took it apart... That's on you.

This is why I won't buy Spyderco. It's not like a knife is rocket science.

Had an issue with my ZT bearings getting rusty, called ZT and explained it, they sent me new races. Easy and friendly.

How can you keep a knife clean and working well without disassembly and cleaning?

By routine maintenance.^
I never had to take a folder apart to clean it but that's just me.
rolf

Back