Spyderco Chaparral and Urban

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Morning folks! I had the Urban and it is a great knife, super light with a nice strong back spring and a razors edge. But I kept comparing it to images of the Chaparral and felt the blade shape was more to my liking, not as curved, but once I sold my Urban and got the Chaparral, I find they were quite similar with just a light difference along the edge. The Spydy hole of course and associated hump are visibly different but overall similar knives. The Chaparral being even thinner and lighter and of course as razor sharp, I am happy with this one as well, but probably would have been as happy hanging onto the less expensive Urban :) live and probably won't learn...

Here are some photos showing a comparison between the two knives;

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Urban in black;

This shot shows the Urban having a bit more continuous curve to the edge and note the Spydie hole hump differences.

The Urban on the left is just a bit thicker

And the Urban on the right has a bit thicker blade stock too

The Chaparral is about $1.25 thick ;)

As you can see, these are similar in a few ways, but overall I am happy with the decision, especially since I already have it :) and it rides clipped to my shirt just above one of the buttons, very discreet carry!

Nice work Sal and crew!
G2

The Urban looks cheaper with those scales and riveted together, no thanks. The blade is thicker but the hole gets really close to the edge. In pictures 4&5 the fit looks much better on the Chappie. Chaparral is definitely worth more.

Thank you, sir - I did not know there was such a thing as a Chaparral Lightweight. I own the standard flavor, but think I now need a Lightweight.

Thanks guys and the Urban has screws on the other side but I do like the scales on the Chaparral myself
G2

I do like the fully accessible Spydie hole on the Urban. An occluded hole <insert joke> never sat well <insert pun> with me.

The Urban reminds me of the Squeak and Cat. More so the Squeak, with its FRN scales.

1rh6lwj.jpg

Cat.

HEYamgN.jpg

Squeak. Maybe it was highly discounted at the time, but I bought this one on May 1, 2014 for $15.47. They are around $60 now.

The K390 Urban and the FRN Chap are (to me) identical in color, which is really weird since one is made in Taichung and the other in Maniago.

Gary
Nice comparison!
Can you recall if the older chapparals had liners? Not the light weight versions obviously, bet the regular versions. Now I think none have liners.
I just am having a senior moment, and I had the CF version.

Thanks Dave, the CF version had steel liners, just checked on youtube ;)
G2

Dave, this guy you may remember, it currently resides at my wife's uncle's home, it's a very interesting design by Raffir Noble, it also has steel liners;

Very nice knife, but like the carbon fiber the lack of physical texture made it quite slippery to use.
G2

Thanks for jogging my memory.
It looks like the sun and moon version is liner less. Could be wrong though.
I keep forgetting about you tube

I was very tempted by the Sun and Moon but you are correct that it doesn’t have liners making it quite thin and light
G2

Looks great and I take it that you like it?
G2

Wow nice Dave!
I may need to splurge at some point for one myself
G2

Back