Spyderco Fakes & Knock Offs Info

I meant that the seller didn't try to sell it for 135. He said it was a fake and I got to respect that.

I thought you guys were smart readers. Guess not.

Youse makin' fun o' mah book-learnin'?

Discussion of clones is a touchy subject. I believe that any statement which deems a situation wherein any example(s) of such are somewhat "okay" gives some credibility to the existence of same.

I can't be tolerant of it. There is no gray/grey area for me in this regard.

Imma step off this, now, and get back to my Reading Rainbow marathon on DVD.

Wishes of a great Memorial Day to those South of me.

Jeez......Once again, I was not advocating the selling of fakes, as I said, "as selling fakes goes" which was meant to be interpreted by some of us smarter folks, as a bad thing. I felt with this group the whole diatribe of how this is such a bad thing didn't have to be repeated here for the millionth time.

You guys are confused and off the mark if you think I advocate the manufacture and/or purchase of fake knives. I didn't buy the damn thing! He didn't make the damn thing.

I feel that if the guy were trying to misrepresent the authenticity of the knife and sell it at the Spyderco MAP, this conversation would be in a whole different direction. But he did not, and he broke no laws, so I can't say he is a despicable piece of crap like you might want me to. This was a dude at a yard sale, and not a knife dealer.

So, with that said, the knife felt like a 20 dollar knife and not a real Spyderco PM2.

Lastly, you guys got all hung up and freaked out on what I said regarding the price and the seller, when you all know my actual intent and purpose for the post was pointing out the deficiencies.

Last edited:
Found my first fake today. I knew it was as soon as I picked it up. Just didn't feel right. This situation was ok, as selling fakes goes, because the seller knew it was fake, and was selling it as a fake. He wanted 20 bucks.

Sorry for the crappy pics.

The next pic is blurry but you can see the G10 at the edges is more contoured and not as sharp as a real PM2.

Box with literature. There was no UPC code sticker on this box. There was also at least one spelling error "pocker" instead of "pocket"

They also misspelled CLASSIC

these are advertised as fake, but pretty shady.

[Removed Link]

NO need to advertise for these thieves, everyone knows about that site. It would be better to post pictures or actual counterfeits so people can see an example rather than sending them to the source to browse at the cost of a redirect from here.

Was not sure of the rules or the awareness. I was just trying to make sure the people that need to know do. I only see talk of eBay.

Does anyone know of any carbon fiber chaparral clones? I'm looking at buying one used and can't find any info on this model regarding real vs fake. TIA.

Found a site that is selling clones. Of course, they sell them as clones and not authentic. Here's a few snapshots (redacted website info of course)

Once you teach them to make your knives they can pump out all they want.

So Spyderco sent people to China and taught them how to make Spyderco knives?
Not that I'm aware of. He (Sal) does apparently have operations in Taiwan though.
I think where this started snowballing was having the boxes made in China, some unscrupulous folks over there now had perfect access to being able to make the original style packaging. I think at that point manufacturing clones just became a natural progression of things. :(

Not that I'm aware of. He (Sal) does apparently have operations in Taiwan though.
I think where this started snowballing was having the boxes made in China, some unscrupulous folks over there now had perfect access to being able to make the original style packaging. I think at that point manufacturing clones just became a natural progression of things. :(

That sounds right.

Good question as I believe the Byrd line are a lower end subsidiary of Spyderco.

Please clarify? I know my Spyderco's are made in Golden Colorado, U.S.A., Earth. :)

The Value line - Tenacious, Resilience, Ambitious, Persistence.
And also the little Bugs, I think.

Back