Spyderco Gayle Bradley 2

I just pre-ordered a GB2 from knifeworks. My card got charged. Are these things shipping out?

NO. I just called them. These are pre-order. Sec'y said they put that money on a temp hold at your bank, and if the knives do NOT arrive at KW within a certain period of time, then the bank-hold is auto cancelled.
So...what I got from her is NO.

so,no ones had there hands on one of these yet!its vary hard for me to pre-order without knowing a delivery date of some sort!

It's just a temporary authorization to check for funds but you are not going to get actually charged until they have it in the building ready to ship.

so,no ones had there hands on one of these yet!its vary hard for me to pre-order without knowing a delivery date of some sort!

Don't know about delivery date. But I have had my hands on one. I was at an amazing knife show in Vegas at the beginning of September and while I was talking with Gayle Bradley (I'm a big fan of that guy!) he walked me over to the Spyderco booth to show me the Bradley 2 that they had on display. He was proud to show off the improvements and I was ecstatic about having HIM show me. It was a very nicely refined evolution of the original. The handle was thinner and a bit longer, the blade is a little longer as well. I think the scales seemed to be closer to flush with the frame than the original but my memory could be playing tricks on me. The overall weight is lower by about 3/4 oz. For my hands... it was a better feeling knife in every way.

They had a LOT of "upcoming" knives on display and a bunch that they are considering but not yet confirmed for production (I would estimate about 50 knives combined). It was staggering to see the number of great knives in the "pipeline". Although they never say when upcoming knives will actually be shipping, I got the impression from the people at the booth that both the GB2 and the Positron are not far off. I'm expecting a call from the knife shop very soon!

Don't know about delivery date. But I have had my hands on one. I was at an amazing knife show in Vegas at the beginning of September and while I was talking with Gayle Bradley (I'm a big fan of that guy!) he walked me over to the Spyderco booth to show me the Bradley 2 that they had on display. He was proud to show off the improvements and I was ecstatic about having HIM show me. It was a very nicely refined evolution of the original. The handle was thinner and a bit longer, the blade is a little longer as well. I think the scales seemed to be closer to flush with the frame than the original but my memory could be playing tricks on me. The overall weight is lower by about 3/4 oz. For my hands... it was a better feeling knife in every way.

They had a LOT of "upcoming" knives on display and a bunch that they are considering but not yet confirmed for production (I would estimate about 50 knives combined). It was staggering to see the number of great knives in the "pipeline". Although they never say when upcoming knives will actually be shipping, I got the impression from the people at the booth that both the GB2 and the Positron are not far off. I'm expecting a call from the knife shop very soon!

That sounds awesome. I am looking forward to getting my GB2 in hand.

Nice! I'm still teetering over the edge on whether or not to order one now :grumpy:

I didn't say which show because I don't want to mention another forum. It was just a gathering of the usual suspects in the knife bizz if you know what I mean.

Gearguy, did you happen to check out the liner lock? Still big and beefy?

Thanks for all the info- sounds great!

This is the most anticipated release of 2015 for me...very excited to see how it compares to the original.

Gearguy, did you happen to check out the liner lock? Still big and beefy?

Thanks for all the info- sounds great!

I apologize. I do not have a clear answer for you on that detail...here's what I know.
Although I opened and closed it a couple of times, and I did notice that it was easy to get my thumb on the liner-lock and disengage it, I'm sorry..I did not pay attention to whether there was a difference in the thickness of the liner-lock bar. Because the knife is slimmer and lighter I think both sides of the liner are a little thinner than the original. However, the overall impression opening, closing and holding this knife was that it is still the tough-a$$ folder that the original was with improved ergos. So, although I didn't take note of the difference in the liner lock thickness I have to say it would have noticed if it didn't feel as solid as I expect a GB folder to feel. I did notice that the shape of the lock is new and more rounded than the original (providing a better finger recess) and that is one of the changes that improved the ergonomics.

GB1 is actually a framelock with the scale over it. I sure hope the GB2 is the same (just means that the lock is beefier). Seems like it.

GB1 is actually a framelock with the scale over it. I sure hope the GB2 is the same (just means that the lock is beefier). Seems like it.

This is a confusing subject that I still don't understand quite as well as I would like to understand it. Maybe you or someone else knows something more that you can educate me on...

Spyderco calls the lock mechanisms on both the GB1 and the GB2 LinerLocks. And they're both very sturdy.

To the best of my understanding, the Michael Walker LinerLock and the Reeve Integral Lock (frame lock) are basically the same thing other than the LinerLock having a scale on the lock side. So I've been under the impression that saying "LinerLock" is the same as saying "framelock with a scale on the lock side".

The scale has a minor function in that it prevents the lock bar from over-extending but the function and strength of the locking mechanisms seem identical to me. This is equally confusing for me with knives like the Rubicon or the PPT. The PPT description from Spyderco states that the lock uses components from both the R.I.L. AND the Walker LinerLock, yet I don't see what the difference is between my PPT's lock and my Rubicon, or my Sage 1 (LinerLock) other than cosmetic differences and different metals.

Could it be that it is not a R.I.L. frame lock unless it uses Titanium for the lock bar material? If so, does that make the Rubicon a frame lock?

They ALL appear to be frame locks with scales over them to me. It seems that there must be a piece I'm missing here that explains why Spyderco says there are components of both locks in the PPT lock. Can anyone tell me what the specific difference is between LinerLocks and frame locks other than the addition of a scale on the lock side of a LinerLock?

Thanks in advance to the Spyder-genius that can clarify this one for me. :thumbup:

No exact science to it. Yes its officially a liner lock and heck, it can be described as one obviously. Material such as Ti has nothing to do with what type of lock it is.

The Bradley is also viewed as a framelock with scales slapped on for several reasons. One being that the steel frames extends farther than the CF/G10 scales. Also, it is much thicker than your standard liner lock and is more comparable to a beefy framelock. Obviously, both liner and framelocks are more similar than different but let me give you an example that differentiate the Bradley lock from conventional liner locks: Military's liner lock which is nested into it's G10 scales, or the countless other liner locks that is completely reliant on its scales to stay in place.. Also, for fun, you can take off the Bradley's scales and still have an "operational" folding framelock.

Back