Spyderco HAP40 what is the anti oxidation coating on the blade ?

Spyderco people : What is this stuff on the blade ? ? ? ?
It sure works ! I could get pretty much zero patina near the edge until I took solvent and an abrasive pad to the steel.

Food safe ? It is certainly bomb proof !
What is it ? ? ?

PS : I'm guessing epoxy.

Last edited:
Which model are you seeing this on?

I have 6 or 7 HAP40 models and all I remember seeing on any of them was some light oil. I haven't seen anything that looked like epoxy.

Last edited:
Interesting...perhaps lacquer like on steel cased ammo?
Makes me wish I had used lacquer thinner; maybe I could have used that to Decide if lacquer is the coating. The stuff I used was much easier to grab at the time. Nothing seemed to disolve while I was scrubbing away.

Which model are you seeing this on?

I have 6 or 7 HAP40 models and all I remember seeing on any of them is some light oil. I haven't seen anything that looked like epoxy.
Thanks for asking. On the end of the box is :
C11FPCFE Delica Flat Ground CF​

The description on the vendor's site is :
Spyderco Delica Carbon Fiber Exclusive HAP40 SUS410 Fradon Lock C11FPCFE

This is the only example of HAP40 that I have ever had.

I haven't seen anything that looked like epoxy.
I just threw this out there. I could not tell by looking that there was any coating.
All I know is I spent three vigorous sessions trying to get that nice dark blue patina and basically nothing happened. I scrubbed the HAP40 area with a red scotch brite and some of it with a Shapton Glass stone and I got blotches of blue in no time. Still not dark but at least I have hope now.

I just threw this out there. I could not tell by looking that there was any coating.
Ahh...got it! FWIW, I've tried to force a patina on a few of mine. I was only able to get a light patina on my Delica Wharncliffe HAP40 by cleaning it with soap and water and then letting it soak in hot coffee. I did my V-Toku 2 Delica at the same time and it had a nice patina in no time. So based on that I've come to my own conclusion that HAP40 doesn't patina very easily.

You do realize that this is a laminated blade, right? The SUS410 stainless steel is the outer steel in the 3-layer sandwich, and being in the center, the HAP40 is only exposed down near the edge, maybe the final 1/4" or so of the blade.

ETA - I'm just not clear on if you understand that or not. If so, what you're seeing could possibly be whatever might be between the lamination layers. Some sort of flux or something?

You do realize that this is a laminated blade . . ., the HAP40 is only exposed down near the edge, maybe the final 1/4" or so of the blade.
In a word :
Yes.
For further back ground check out this thread I started around Christmas :
This link will take you directly to that thread starting a ways down at a photo of what I expect to achieve. Page down in that post (Post #7) below the folders to the large Kitchen knife. I also saw this effect on an entirely different HAP40 knife in a YouTube posted by another member here in the forums.
Link>>>>

Last edited:
You do realize that this is a laminated blade, right? The SUS410 stainless steel is the outer steel in the 3-layer sandwich, and being in the center, the HAP40 is only exposed down near the edge, maybe the final 1/4" or so of the blade.

ETA - I'm just not clear on if you understand that or not. If so, what you're seeing could possibly be whatever might be between the lamination layers. Some sort of flux or something?

This was my line of thinking as well. I've not seen spydercos come well oiled, in most case, when compared against something like a GEC. Even then, it's not that necessary consider a light oil coating is enough and the desiccant pack keeps it good in the box.

There is an obvious view of the layers on the ones I've handled. It looks almost like a hamon.

This is one I had replaced as the layers were uneven on each side but you can clearly see the line between the layers. The top portion should have very good stain resistance.
s9E0w1zl.jpg

PGfxtAel.jpg

Greetings Sal :
Hey . . . maybe you can tell me.
What is the anti oxidation coating on my Hap40 knife.

On the end of the box is :
C11FPCFE Delica Flat Ground CF

The description on the vendor's site is :
Spyderco Delica Carbon Fiber Exclusive HAP40 SUS410 Fradon Lock C11FPCFE

Thank you.
Happy New Year to you and Spyderco !

?
Check one ? :
  • It is an industrial trade secret.
  • You are nuts there is no coating.
  • I don't know.

... based on all my other hss high % cobalt blade steels [m35,m42,t42,rex45,maxamet]. They just don't stain as easy as other low cr steels.
Yes but my point is the steel is capable of taking on a striking blue color.
See the photo of the kitchen knife at this link. Page down past the folders. Link>>>>
So I want to do this. I have a separate thread for the "how". But it seems 95% likely to me that the blade has a protective coating and I am curious what that coating is.
If nothing else it would be interesting to know and secondarily it will tell me how to remove the coating.
If epoxy maybe I'm looking at using Marine stripper.

Yes but my point is the steel is capable of taking on a striking blue color.
See the photo of the kitchen knife at this link. Page down past the folders. Link>>>>
So I want to do this. I have a separate thread for the "how". But it seems 95% likely to me that the blade has a protective coating and I am curious what that coating is.
If nothing else it would be interesting to know and secondarily it will tell me how to remove the coating.
If epoxy maybe I'm looking at using Marine stripper.
If there is a coating, it should be easy to detect/remove with a few strokes on a fine abrasive stone.

I have only wiped down my HAP40 blades with 90% rubbing alcohol. After that they took a patina just fine. I truly think there is just oil on it.

Back