Spyderco kitchen knives,does anyone have and use them?

MBS is basically a budget version of VG10, it doesn’t have the cobalt but other than that is fairly similar, VG10 is a good mid range steel. Unfortunately, many brands act like VG10 is a “super steel” and it’s really not...nothing wrong with it but also nothing special.

Having a set of ZDP189 steak knives is a sign you have too much money! Perfect for eating your waygu filet while your ocelot sits politely on the oriental rug!
OH I totally agree that MBS-26 is nowhere near to being a supersteel. But it is one of the steels that Spyderco has used that turned out to be a great steel for serrated edges. MBS-26 is a great steel for serrated kitchen knives in my experience in using them for well over 10 years. It also has decent corrosion resistance as well. And that's the case with many of the older past steels that Spyderco has used. ATS-55 is also a great steel for Spyderedges. Now VG-10 is also good for serrations but it's also not bad for plain edges as well. VG-10 is one of the few steels I can make that statement about. The old GIN-1 was a great steel for Spyderedged units but I never could get it to hold an edge for more than two days max on any EDC pocketknife.

AUS-8 is another great blade steel I've had good luck with on Spyderedges. That older AUS-8 Full SE Catcherman is one of my all time favorites for food and meat prep. It has often baffled me as to why they never made more full SE Catcherman models. Because it's sure a great blade in the kitchen in SE.

As great as ZDP-189 is for plain edges I can't stress enough that it is not very corrosion resistant. Which goes to show that most all of these blade steels have their strengths and weaknesses.

MBS is basically a budget version of VG10, it doesn’t have the cobalt but other than that is fairly similar, VG10 is a good mid range steel. Unfortunately, many brands act like VG10 is a “super steel” and it’s really not...nothing wrong with it but also nothing special.

Having a set of ZDP189 steak knives is a sign you have too much money! Perfect for eating your waygu filet while your ocelot sits politely on the oriental rug!

It was a "super steel" when it came out, prompting the creation of S30V in competition. If you compare it to 99% of the rest of the kitchen cutlery pack, it's "super" :)

I own most the standard models. I personally prefer more weight in my kitchen knives. The standard 4 and 6.5" models are great when they are brand new. For slicing. Eventually the handles don't look very nice anymore and don't feel as grippy. And the blades dull and I can never come close to getting those serrated blades as sharp and effective as when they were new. Considering the very reasonable prices, maybe the solution is to replace them once a year and be happy!

Two exceptions. If I could only pick one Spyderco kitchen knife, it wouldn't even be close. The Mini Paring is genius. K09PBK. I got one from the initial run and at first barely used it. Then I gradually understood it and used it more and more. Decided to buy another one. They had been discontinued and were crazy prices on ebay. Years went by... Spyderco brought them back. I bought one. Retired the old girl. Started worrying about missing out again and they were only $21-$24 dollars... bought another one. When I was in Denver, took a bunch of Spydies with me and went to Golden. So the original old girl got back to Golden and they sharpened her up for me. Currently all three of them are in use.

The good news is, you can still buy them. The bad news is I'm seeing out of stock or $40+ listed for them... did Spyderco discontinue them again?

The second Spyderco kitchen design we literally use every day is long, long discontinued. And my google searches aren't finding it. It has a 6 inch cutting edge. Partial tang with two rivets. When it was new, I remember it being a two tone gray micarta handle. Dark gray with streaks of lighter gray. It was a really attractive knife. I just went to look at it and had to laugh. We have used it so many thousands of thousands of times that the handle is nearly black. I know it wasn't nearly that dark when we got it! That one has also been back to Golden for them to try to sharpen the serrated edge. They do slightly better than me but it still isn't nearly a factory new edge. We still use it every day because of the difference the handle makes. The handle has some weight, some thickness, and it is longer than most of the Spydie kitchen knives. Just very comfortable.

I remember buying that knife, so many years ago. I really think that is the only knife I've every bought directly from the Spyderco website. I was there looking around and clicked on Clearance or Discontinued. Close outs. Whatever they called it back then. And these micarta handled kitchen knives from Seki City were listed. And they sure looked like a great deal to me so I bought one. And I'm sure my wife fussed since we didn't have extra money to spend on knives we didn't need! But I swear that has been her favorite kitchen knife for what, 20 years?

If I could buy it new again, I would.

I kept looking around. I see a short review on Spyderco Collector about the Yin Yang set. My knife looks just like the dark handled one with the serrated edge. I didn't buy it as a set though.

And that website says they were VG-10 although the blades have no steel marking at all that I can see. I believe it. Always seemed like a nicer knife steel to me than the standard knives.

I was looking at Spyderco kitchen knives and fixed knives but nothing really jumped out at me. I have to say I really don't like the Spydie hole on fixed blades, it just looks silly and is one more thing to clean.

Back