Spyderco "mislead" about price increases!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the years, Sal have repeatedly claimed that increase in price of raw material is propelling the astronomical increases in Spyderco knives' prices, year after year...

Let's take a look at one example:

Spyderco Tenacious and Ontario Rat 1 were both released approximately 12 years ago, made with similar materials and sold at around the same at that time around $25 dollars on Amazon

Tenacious is made in China, known for cheap labor, labor and human right abuses and corner cutting and generally lower quality knives.

Rat 1 is made in Taiwan, a democracy with much higher wages and known for much higher quality in fit and finish.

Fast forward 12 years later to today:

Rat 1 cost on Amazon = $25 to $28 depending on the day for AUS 8 model (today priced at $25.14) looking back it is cheaper today than it was 8 years ago

Tenacious cost on Amazon = $51 to $58 depending on the day for 8cr13mov (today priced at $51.10) looking back 8-10 years seems like most people got it between $25 - $29 with one fluke who got it for $15

Generally speaking AUS 8 is considered a better steel than 8cr13mov although performance wise they are similar.

Also worth of noting is that for around $50 to $60, a bunch of new Chinese manufactures such as TwoSun are offering Titanium framelock with D2 steel on ball bearing.

I've edited the following to take out offensive content as pointed out by a mod regarding "fanboy".

Given the above fact, one can logically conclude that Sal repeated statement "spyderco is not charging as much as the market can bear" is untrue. Spyderco IS charging at much as the market can bear and it only has to do with profit and not "increase in material costs".

Spyderco is a company for profit, which is only normal. But for a for profit company to masquerade as an altruistic company in the interest of serving knife addicts while blaming price increases on external factors is hypocritical. While it's true Spyderco is serving knife addicts but that is also their market and that is their business where profit is derived.

Just drop the pretense, if Spyderco come out and just say yes I believe Spyderco design, innovation and brand is worth the price premium I can respect that. Or just don't say anything at all about price increases.

Respectfully!

IMG_20200905_175342.jpg IMG_20200905_175327.jpg IMG_20200905_175336.jpg IMG_20200905_175348.png IMG_20200905_175356.png

Last edited:
Who else carried a Spyderco today?

I2oqA7R.jpg

Over the years, Sal have repeatedly claimed that increase in price of raw material is propelling the astronomical increases in Spyderco knives' prices, year after year...

Let's take a look at one example:

Spyderco Tenacious and Ontario Rat 1 were both released approximately 12 years ago, made with similar materials and priced at around the same price at that time around $25 dollars on Amazon

Tenacious is made in China, known for cheap labor, labor and human right abuses and corner cutting and generally lower quality knives.

Rat 1 is made in Taiwan, a democracy with much higher wages and known for much higher quality in fit and finish.

Fast forward 12 years later to today:

Rat 1 cost on Amazon = $25 to $28 depending on the day for AUS 8 model

Tenacious cost on Amazon = $51 to $58 depending on the day for 8cr13mov

Generally speaking AUS 8 is considered a better steel than 8cr13mov although performance wise they are similar.

Also worth of nothing is that for around $50 to $60, a bunch of new Chinese manufactures such as TwoSun are offering Titanium framelock with D2 steel on ball bearing.

Given the above fact, one can logically conclude that Sal has been feeding us coll-aid for a long time and his repeated statement "spyderco is not charging as much as the market can bear" is a bunch of BS. Spyderco IS charging at much as the market can bear and it only has to do with profit and not "increase in material costs".

I'm not saying Spyderco is not worth the price it's charging for it's cool designs, but let's call it what it is. It's profiteering and has nothing to do with "material cost increases" and the recent MAP fits the new model of spyderco profiteering.

Of course, there are those who will continue to drink the cool-aid, hey it's your choice. I just want to put it out there, Sal you're not fooling anyone with your profiteering just because you happen to be a good knive designer and pioneer. Just drop the pretense, if you come out and just say yes I believe Spyderco design, innovation and brand is worth the price premium I can respect that, not bs excuses.

Respectfully!

Cool story bro. With a name like Ganzofan, no wonder you feel the way you do. Simple, don't buy Spydercos and stick with your $40-$50 knives. They seem to be working well for you. :thumbsup:

Who else carried a Spyderco today?

I am.

Rat 1 cost on Amazon = $25 to $28 depending on the day for AUS 8 model

Tenacious cost on Amazon = $51 to $58 depending on the day for 8cr13mov

The knives are not comparable.
  • Tenacious has G10 handles
  • $25 RAT has FRN handles with no liners.
G10 is much more expensive to form and machine than the FRN handles of the RAT.

And you want to be real careful throwing around insults at the moderator. "Fanboy" is an insult.

Wanna save money,buy em lightly carried.Got an S110 Manix for 85.00 and an S110 Military for 165 ;ive got to hand it to spyderco for offering their knives in more exotic steels than any other company.

Cool story bro. With a name like Ganzofan, no wonder you feel the way you do. Simple, don't buy Spydercos and stick with your $40-$50 knives. They seem to be working well for you. :thumbsup:
Disagree with him all you want, but come on. You cant discount someone for their name. This dude basically isnt allowed to post without someone saying "well with a name like that". If that's all the argument you have, you dont have one.

I knew that one was coming, thanks for your intelligent and logical analysis!

Deep down, I think you just want to see Spyderco pics. All Spyderco bashing theads are the same. Someone starts a thread about how unhappy they are with Spyderco, and that thread gets filled up with some amazing Spyderco pics!

Let me know if you need any other intelligent or logical analyses next time, I'm happy to help.

Om6tEJV.jpg

Para 3 lightweight! Went swimming at the brother in laws, needed a lightweight carry. Para 3 is perfect!

Sal Glesser is a beautiful human and a National (international?) treasure. Ganzo is garbage. Go Team Spyderco!

Id love to see where Two-dung will be in 5 years.And they will never have a flagship model,like a Military,Para,Manix,to name a few,they will just produce one flash in the pan knife after another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back