Spyderco Paramilitary 2 sucks!

You know how you acquire a new blade and it's so awesome that you don't want to ruin or damage it? Instead of actually using your new blade for EDC chores, it ends up becoming a legend on your shelf or in your display because it's just so damn nice that you couldn't bare the thought of putting a scratch or nick on it. Well, therein lies the story of my search for the perfect EDC for the past 40+ years resulting in a ever-growing, massive collection of blade awesomeness, practically none of which I'm truly content or willing to regularly EDC for one reason or another (mil-service blades excluded).

I thought I finally found that perfect EDC in my Kershaw Breakout. I read all the rave reviews on that blade and thought, "This is the perfect EDC I've been looking for!" Light, strong frame, a small enough footprint for business attire and concealment while large enough for defense, a modicum of belly for a variety of tasks, good edge holding, nice lines, good ergonomics and fun to play with when meetings get boring. Since it came out, it's been my go-to EDC blade of choice. The only factor missing is confidence that I won't break the tip during the heaviest of chores or while prying. Not too big of a deal considering the cost of this blade is so small, I could buy a few spares. But that confidence in an EDC is important to me. And so with a Breakout in my left hand and a mouse in my right hand, my search for that perfect EDC continued while feeling a little guilty that I was "cheating" on my Breakout.

No offense to you Spydie lovers, but every Spyderco I've handled just didn't cut it in one way or another for my EDC needs. They're definitely well-built and well-suited for a variety of tasks for a diversity of people, but there has always been something about each that I couldn't live with. Along came the Spyderco Paramilitary 2. I read way too many reviews and YouTube videos. Like all that came before, it just seemed too good to be true and I passed all the forum jubilation off as hype. But something about it just kept calling to me. I tried like hell to ignore that calling, but it kept getting louder and louder. I asked my team if anyone had tried one, and lo and behold, 2 guys pulled them from their gear. Oh my God! What a blade! I was immediately hooked and had to have one. I ordered the regular S30V with black G10 scales. I've been playing with it, carrying it and actually USING it non-stop since it arrived. Granted, it's kind of hefty to EDC in business or formal attire, but it's suited to everything else. This Para2 is so damned well-built I don't think it will ever break under my "normal" use. The fit and finish is about as perfect as perfect gets and the thick spine and flat grind is exactly what I've been looking for in an EDC. The edge is all belly and a joy to maintain, usually requiring only a quick strop to bring it back to razor sharpness even after hacking oak. The compression lock is smooth and confidence-inspiring. Except for a small peeve of mine with the forefinger groove, the ergonomics are superb no matter how I hold this beauty. I love this knife!!! :D

So why does the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 suck? Well... I just can't seem to put it down. I get withdrawal symptoms during times when it's not kosher to pull it out. I'm having a hard time resisting the urge to play with it when stuck in traffic jams. I'm losing sleep and the only time I eat now is when I think of a new way to prep food with my Para2. The incessant sound of Para2 "THWACK!" all day and night at home is alienating me from my family. I need help.
gamer.GIF
Maybe Spyderco embedded some newfangled, addictive compound into the G10 scales? I don't know, but either the pivot bushing is going to wear out or this blade is going to do me in.
rotfl.GIF

To the Glesser Family and the Spyderco Crew, thank you for creating the blade that has become the end of my long road to EDC happiness.
bowdown.GIF
I just ordered another one with a black blade for service carry.
thumbup.GIF

picture082b.jpg

Note: The only things I decided to change about this blade were to change the clip to tip-up, chamfer the scales at the forefinger groove for endurance cutting with a deathgrip and ease of deployment when using the SpydieHole, and smooth the G10 a little under the grip to keep my pocket from wearing down and quicken the draw.

Soldering iron tip to the head of each screw to break the red Loctite:
picture084i.jpg

Dremel grinding stones, 320 & 600 wet/dry sandpaper to chamfer the scales at the forefinger groove:
picture091k.jpg

picture092p.jpg

picture110o.jpg

Duct tape around general area to be sanded before removing clip:
picture086gt.jpg

After about 10 seconds of light finger pressure with 320 wet/dry paper:
picture094v.jpg

My now perfect-for-me Para2:
picture115u.jpg

Cleaned up and ready to rock the most perfect EDC I've ever owned:
picture111t.jpg

That's a great idea with the chamfering, I'd do it to but my baby is on it's way to Golden right now :( She had vertical play, super disappointing.

I just got a orange millie to help me cope during the transition period. :D

LOL that was great man. I really need to get one, i dont understand how it could be OMFG great. I just dont see it, but the PARA 2 fanboys have made it very clear that this knife is something special.

You know how you acquire a new blade and it's so awesome that you don't want to ruin or damage it? Instead of actually using your new blade for EDC chores, it ends up becoming a legend on your shelf or in your display because it's just so damn nice that you couldn't bare the thought of putting a scratch or nick on it.

No, actually I don't know that. I was scraping paint with a $400 custom today. ;)

Congrats on the Para2., but didn't anyone tell you the binding agent in Spyderco G-10 is crack cocaine? :D

Looks nice. You've got more nerve (and more importantly, skills) than I do. Hope you enjoy.

You know how you acquire a new blade and it's so awesome that you don't want to ruin or damage it? Instead of actually using your new blade for EDC chores, it ends up becoming a legend on your shelf or in your display because it's just so damn nice that you couldn't bare the thought of putting a scratch or nick on it.

Nope, I don't know that either. The only knives I own that I haven't used are then ones I haven't gotten around to using yet. I've been carrying a G10 Para 2 around the house and carrying the carbon fiber/S90V one to the office. The knife I was using this morning is a carbon fiber/S90V Manix 2, which I finally had to sharpen last night after a year and a half.

Nice mods on your knife. I like the idea of the chamfering and also smoothing under the clips.

Very nice idea with the chamfering. I must confess, I started reading your thread, got halfway through and busted the dremel out. That is exactly what my Para 2 needed! I did a little around the pinky area and some more by the lock. What a great idea, I have modded so many of my knives, I honestly don't know why I didn't think to do this one. Thanks man!

Lol, kind of put off by your title, glad it wasn't literal.

Congrats, I'm glad you found a spyderco that meets your needs. I certainly like my regular Para 2, and have pre-ordered the Gray G-10/CTS-20cp version.

For a business/formal setting, I'd highly recommend checking out the Sage 1 or Caly 3 CF if you haven't tried them before. Also the Michael walker CF if you can find one.

PS-Nice mods as well. You know it's a knife that fits when you make little tweaks to it just to make it perfect. I should do the sandpaper on the clip area thing myself--one of my pairs of pants is finally starting to get shredded, after a year of carrying G-10 (I guess the fact that I like wire clips and smooth CF/G-10 delayed the inevitable)

Yup, you are right, the Paramillie totally sucks. Spyderco is very embarassed to let this one go into production. :p

OTOH, nice modding you did on your knife. Congratulatuions and thanks for sharing the great pics and the story. :)

Anyone know where I can get my hands on a PM2 online? knife center is back-ordered. Thanks

Nice Work! I think I was a little misled from the title though - :p. With respect to the title, I have to ask the question. Aside from the little quarky (but rightly warranted) slipups mentioned here, are there really any flaws with this knife? I am have been looking around just about everywhere and can't find a negative comment on them except maybe the lanyard hole a little too big and the shiny clip. I just picked one up a week ago and feel withdrawals when much time goes by without seeing and handling it :).

The title threw me also! Great story, I'm sure many of us can relate. I for one do and the closest I've come so far to my perfect EDC folder is the G10 Caly3. I just want something about the same size, similarly great ergos but with a more robust blade for heavier duty without fear of damaging the blade.
The PM2 is interesting but I'm not crazy about the compression lock. I'm sure it's great, I'm just not a fan of that type of lock. Maybe the next time I'm at my local brick and mortar store I'll check one out more closely.

Anyone know where I can get my hands on a PM2 online? knife center is back-ordered. Thanks

There is a certain auction site...;) They actually have some up for pretty decent prices. Especially the black blade model. I actually have a black version coming from a fellow forum member. I can't wait!

That's a great idea with the chamfering, I'd do it to but my baby is on it's way to Golden right now :( She had vertical play, super disappointing.

I just got a orange millie to help me cope during the transition period. :D

Sorry to hear about your "baby". :( I hope you get her back soon! :thumbup: Both of mine are rock solid with no vertical or horizontal play.

Back