Spyderco Police Stainless - WOW!

Does the earliest model have the recessed POLICE on the blade?
Yes. It looks like acid etch.

yOZZJcy.jpg

My coworker has 3 old school police models. 2 were standard issue from the Slovak Police Force and the 3rd was an engraved retirement gift from Bratislava Slovakia. Obviously he is a Slovak himself lol. Anyways, those OG Police knives started my addiction. I had to have one!

I hate to pick your nits, but that is a second generation Police. The first gen has unbevelled handle edges and the lock release is farther forward. My three also have POLICE MODEL on the blade deep enough to feel and see the indention.

Edit to add pictures.

Spyderwiki says Police 1 til 1990. So there was a progression of design for the Police 1.
I bought my Police 1 in September of 1988.

Sal told me the lock change marked the redesign from first to second generation when we were discussing it years ago. I thought the middle knife in those pictures was first generation since it was pre-steel stamp, but he set me straight. The other two were aquired later.

Sal told me the lock change marked the redesign from first to second generation when we were discussing it years ago. I thought the middle knife in those pictures was first generation since it was pre-steel stamp, but he set me straight. The other two were aquired later.

I agree that's the most logical change.
Wiki's aren't necessarily accurate. In fact there are ?'s in a lot of the info fields for dates and specs.
So gen2 started 2-3 years earlier than Spyderwiki suggests.

Spyderco has always been much better at improving their products than documenting changes. They never called the SS model a Police II until people wondered why the P3 was a 3 instead of a 2. To them it was still just the Police Model.

Back