SPYDERCO SALT THREAD...fishing, ocean, stories, pics and all things "salt"

i have to admit i do not have a Salt. But, i may just get one. My mind wanders...i grew up on the coast (Mass), but now i am in VT...man, i miss the ocean.

Thanks for this thread gringo. I've spent about an hour going through it, and i can smell the salt air. Couple questions, if i may...
1) where are you fishing?
2) what model Hobie do you fish?

i have to admit i do not have a Salt. But, i may just get one. My mind wanders...i grew up on the coast (Mass), but now i am in VT...man, i miss the ocean.

Thanks for this thread gringo. I've spent about an hour going through it, and i can smell the salt air. Couple questions, if i may...
1) where are you fishing?
2) what model Hobie do you fish?

Hey man, welcome. I fish the central pacific coast of Costa Rica and for the moment I'm fishing out of a hobie outback. Now get yourself a salt and go fishin! ;)

Had a great morning! Paddled the kayak out at 5:10 when it was still half dark. Got into the mackerel right away and I knew it was gonna be a good day. Came in with numerous mackerel and some snapper. Also got some needle fish and jacks for the guards and maintenance guys here at my condos. Then, about 6:00 I started throwing a red and white popper on the outer reef. On the very first cast something with a mouth like a five gallon bucket hit the surface...and MISSED! He hit so hard and so close to the boat it actually scared me! Hehe. Two casts after that, him or his cousin hit again...and didnt miss. 50 pound rooster! He took me for a ride! Took about ten minutes to bring him in. I thought about keeping him to give away (some folks love em), and I even went to gaff him. Hit him right in the corner of the gill plate and when I started thinking about what I was going to do with him, I just pulled the gaff out and he swam away. He was more trouble than he was worth. Lucky boy. Came in and cleaned everything with the pacific salt and the pm2. I love using those knives on fish! :). There are better knives for the job (well, actually the p. salt is pretty perfect for mackerel) but I just enjoy using my folders and they work great!

Mackerel and snapper
670E8BC9-9C86-47EA-A0D1-AD27C03F1617-20582-00001B9A1984D68A_zps38546a45.jpg

One of the smaller mackerel.
95AA2168-8E85-47C8-8A6D-C647645DC65F-20582-00001B9A41A30954_zps22dc5d53.jpg

Big ole stud mackerel filleted. Pm2 did the work, but the salt managed to get in the glamour shot. What a photo whore!
6B220C85-DDDC-4DEB-B1BA-AC2A426CECDB-20582-00001B9A4DCBC03A_zps1625e22b.jpg

Don't put your finger in there!
D0544E36-E469-46E5-B45E-904A0FCEF973-20582-00001B9A2894EBF7_zpse184fb21.jpg

Great pics again gringo! What kind of rod & tackle system do you use?

For flats I usually like any decent medium action rod & reel with spyderwire braid lines (no.. spyderco doesn't make fishing lines). For heavier game I use an abu garcia heavy rod and reel with 20-30lb stren line. Always prefer live bait.

Hey don, today I had a pair of ugly sticks. Hard to beat those rods and at $50 they are almost disposable! (And sometimes that is relevant on the kayak). ;) Both are 12-30...one is heavy, one medium. Luckily I was smart enough to throw that popper with the heavy! I fish a pair of penn spinnfisher V's. A 4000 on the medium and a 6000 on the heavy. I use 30 and 50 lb braid. Kind of heavy line, but "when in doubt, go stout!" 50lb line on that heavy rod with 30lbs of drag, I can put the boot heels to em pretty good. :D

Hey don, today I had a pair of ugly sticks. Hard to beat those rods and at $50 they are almost disposable! (And sometimes that is relevant on the kayak). ;) Both are 12-30...one is heavy, one medium. Luckily I was smart enough to throw that popper with the heavy! I fish a pair of penn spinnfisher V's. A 4000 on the medium and a 6000 on the heavy. I use 30 and 50 lb braid. Kind of heavy line, but "when in doubt, go stout!" 50lb line on that heavy rod with 30lbs of drag, I can put the boot heels to em pretty good. :D

I've been though my share of Shakespeare rods as well. They're great value for sure. I never considered the disposability factor till now. I guess depending on what you hook, it's better to lose the rod than flipping the kayak.

You could also cut the line. I've done that many times to my own line and sometimes others'. I always give fair warning: if your line gets tangled with mine, you better hurry and fix it cuz I'll cut your line quick :p.

To my fellow H1 users - does anyone have experience with the enuff H1 serrated Sheepsfoot?

Would love to hear your thoughts and a pic if possible...

Just got back from visiting my dad in north Louisiana. No salt water and no salt knives...but there were catfish and Gayle Bradley's! My new knife.

66721A44-B1A1-4760-B598-63CB2C10258C-4421-000004F3E99240F8_zps0eb4ba98.jpg

Those are some damn good eating!

Where at in Louisiana? I did some fishing in central and was amazed at what I could pull out of even the most benign puddle.

Also, did you do any slaying with the GB? I'm considering one, but am always looking for input.

Those are some damn good eating!

Where at in Louisiana? I did some fishing in central and was amazed at what I could pull out of even the most benign puddle.

Also, did you do any slaying with the GB? I'm considering one, but am always looking for input.

Hey man, I can't tell you too much about the GB yet, because I really haven't used it much. Ill give u these two observations though. From a purely ergonomic/carry standpoint I still prefer my pm2. Second, I've got the thing absolutely screaming sharp. My feeling is that m4 takes a pretty fine edge. I will give some more thoughts on the knife over in the spyderco forum after I've used it some.

Hey man, I can't tell you too much about the GB yet, because I really haven't used it much. Ill give u these two observations though. From a purely ergonomic/carry standpoint I still prefer my pm2. Second, I've got the thing absolutely screaming sharp. My feeling is that m4 takes a pretty fine edge. I will give some more thoughts on the knife over in the spyderco forum after I've used it some.

The ergos and lock on my PM2 are the only things keeping me from splurging on the GB at this point. I've got a Benchmade in M4 and it's my dream steel! Seems to produce a scary but "toothy" edge even on my Ultra-Fine stone. It's also WAY tougher than I'm willing to push it. If the PM2 came in M4, I'd never need to buy another knife again (HINT, HINT, SAL).

The ergos and lock on my PM2 are the only things keeping me from splurging on the GB at this point. I've got a Benchmade in M4 and it's my dream steel! Seems to produce a scary but "toothy" edge even on my Ultra-Fine stone. It's also WAY tougher than I'm willing to push it. If the PM2 came in M4, I'd never need to buy another knife again (HINT, HINT, SAL).

I have been using both knives for a few days now and I like both of them. But I like my pm2 better. Hands down a better design for my uses. And speaking of the m4...it's great stuff. But I'm not convinced that its any better than the cts-204p yet. I am extremely impressed with that steel so far. It seems to hold a hair popping edge for a long time. I did about a half hour of fish cleaning with it today and when I was done it still had a hair popping edge. I don't mean it would still shave. I mean it still had that hair popping, tree topping edge. Good stuff!

Back