Spyderco Shaman discussion thread.

Got to handle the Shaman and Police 4 today at Blade. Looks like I'll be picking these up once they are released! The Shaman is really really nice! Was nice chatting with Eric as well!

From the pictures that are online, It looks like the clip is only 3 way, and not 4 way. Can you confirm that from the one you handled?

In the Blade HQ video from blade show that I watched (twice) clearly shows a 4 way clip.

After seeing it today it certainly is larger than expected. Imo it looks like they took the Manix size, took the PM2 compression lock, and Native lines and just adde them with a 3d handle. It looks sweet but Im not sure I'll grab one. Maybe if they run a certain steel.

Do any of you Guys have the full specs on the Shaman? Handle Length? Weight? and Actual Blade Length?

Spyderco-Shaman-G10-satin-BHQ-71268-er-large.jpg

Spyderco-Shaman-G10-satin-BHQ-71268-er-side-large.jpg

Here's a cut-and-paste of the info at Blade HQ:

Overall Length:8.00"

Blade Length:3.58"

Cutting Edge:3.01"

Blade Thickness:0.15"

Blade Material:CPM-S30V

Blade Style:Leaf-Shaped

Blade Grind:Flat
Finish:Satin

Edge Type:plain

Handle Length:4.42"

Handle Thickness:-

Handle Material:G-10

Color:Black

Frame/Liner:Stainless Steel

Weight:5.20 oz.

User:Right Hand, Left Hand

Pocket Clip:Tip-Down, Tip-Up

Knife Type:Manual

Opener:Thumb Hole

Lock Type:Compression Lock

Model Number:C229GP

Country of Origin:USA

Best Use:Everyday Carry

I selected a compression lock because I wanted to make very strong, but light model. I believe I can get more strength out of a compression lock than a lock-back for the weight of the materials used.

I've been wondering, is it designed to be able to be opened like a front flipper? Certainly looks like it could be.

Awesome insight! The updated back lock on the Native 5 is truly an incredible lock. It's amazing how secure and durable it is, especially compared to the average back lock. I would have no problem with either lock on this knife. It will certainly be cool to have a larger knife that's lighter due to the compression lock.

The Shaman's MSRP is $249.95 and is listed at BladeHQ at $149.97 and is coming soon

Wow! Really great pricing, less than I expected to be honest.

Got to handle the Shaman and Police 4 today at Blade. Looks like I'll be picking these up once they are released! The Shaman is really really nice! Was nice chatting with Eric as well!

Does the Police 4 have the updated back lock like on the Native 5 line, or the normal like on the Endura/Delica?

Spyderco-Shaman-G10-satin-BHQ-71268-er-large.jpg

Spyderco-Shaman-G10-satin-BHQ-71268-er-side-large.jpg

Here's a cut-and-paste of the info at Blade HQ:

Overall Length:8.00"

Blade Length:3.58"

Cutting Edge:3.01"

Blade Thickness:0.15"

Blade Material:CPM-S30V

Blade Style:Leaf-Shaped

Blade Grind:Flat
Finish:Satin

Edge Type:plain

Handle Length:4.42"

Handle Thickness:-

Handle Material:G-10

Color:Black

Frame/Liner:Stainless Steel

Weight:5.20 oz.

User:Right Hand, Left Hand

Pocket Clip:Tip-Down, Tip-Up

Knife Type:Manual

Opener:Thumb Hole

Lock Type:Compression Lock

Model Number:C229GP

Country of Origin:USA

Best Use:Everyday Carry

I really think this looks like it will be able to be opened like a front flipper due to the thumb serrations sitting proud of the scales.

still wondering if it's a stepped pivot??

also, what's the little tab like thing in front of the compression lock tab in the bottom BHQ photo of post #68?

Yup...it's obvious now...it's nowhere near that noticable on the PM2...

Seems like I remember hearing Eric state on a BLADE show film somewhere, that the Shaman's kick was purposely larger, too.

I can't see it getting in the way since the comp. lock tab is only utilized when the blade's open...

Now, if you like to compress the tab a wrist flick open it may cramp your style a bit.

It looks very nice. I love my Native light weight.
This one seems a little heavy, but I love the shape.

I like it a lot.

If I can put my Manix2 CF/Composite blade down for two minutes then perhaps I'll get one.

I have been waiting for this a while and ridiculously stoked for the Shaman. It’s going to be a great heavy user. I’m also hopping somebody does a dealer exclusive or sprint in different colored G10 and Cruwear or M4.
A Cruwear Shaman in DENIM Micarta might be toughest Spider since the Tuff :thumbsup:

Back