Spyderco Slysz Bowie Question

Well, mine's coming today, can't wait to see what it's like and if it measures up to the hype.

For me it is the looking. I know this is highly subjective but the handle shape looks ugly to me.

Agreed. It looks "blocky" to me and is not the most attractive design when compared w/knives of similar size.

Last edited:
Well here be mine. Overall very pleased. I like the deep, dark blue ano, but I might have preferred a different color G10 backspacer than black, and I think I like the original configuration better with the heavily tumbled plain Ti handle and the mirror stonewash blade... but, I didn't jump on the bandwagon in time to get one of those, so this is it.

Really love that the contouring and chamfering is so nice. The ano quality is really great. Love the rounded spine on the blade, and it is a really delightful knife. Fits my hand perfectly, just the right size. Very, very slim, and if I were to carry it I bet it'd just disappear in the pocket. I know I'd rather still have a lockbar insert and overtravel stop, but the lockup and action is really fantastic, so maybe a lot of that is just psychological on my end, just like having M390 instead of S35VN.

This one is destined for the collection of knives I don't have duplicates of and therefore won't carry but also like just a bit too much to resell.

I honestly might pay more money for one that was dark bronze anodized with maybe a red G10 backspacer (although now that I think of it, a brass or bronze one would go real nice with this blue) with an M390 blade and the same mirror stonewash as the original, even without a lockbar insert/overtravel stop, plus then I could carry this one guilt- and paranoia-free.

I've had three or four original Slysz Bowies and still have one... I've used my Apex sharpening system to change the enclosed edge angle
to 32 degrees, and have mirror polished the edge. It is an excellent folder, perhaps my very favorite folder, and I value it highly. I do NOT carry
it, however, as it is a bit more heavy-duty than my casual carry demands.
I don't consider it blocky, although some might. It locks up with a solid snap that is unlike any of my other folders that
have been in my possession over the years....
Again, I think it beats anything I've ever owned in CRK, Strider, BM and ZT. It has a regal status
all of its own, and I feel it was well worth its retail value when still in stock...

I've had three or four original Slysz Bowies and still have one... I've used my Apex sharpening system to change the enclosed edge angle
to 32 degrees, and have mirror polished the edge. It is an excellent folder, perhaps my very favorite folder, and I value it highly. I do NOT carry
it, however, as it is a bit more heavy-duty than my casual carry demands.
I don't consider it blocky, although some might. It locks up with a solid snap that is unlike any of my other folders that
have been in my possession over the years....
Again, I think it beats anything I've ever owned in CRK, Strider, BM and ZT. It has a regal status
all of its own, and I feel it was well worth its retail value when still in stock...

I think it's a really great size. It fills the hand, but only just. It's very slim, and the contouring makes it feel even slimmer. Just really love it.

Dang! What's not to like?

bowiejoy_web.jpg
Nice knife,just overpriced IMO.

looks like a nice knife, but i dont see it being any better than a spyderco military or stainless steel police, especially not for the price

looks like a nice knife, but i dont see it being any better than a spyderco military or stainless steel police, especially not for the price
Better for what? Its simply a different design with hype, and contoured titanium (being time consuming to machine) as the main reasons for the price difference from other models with similar materials. Some people are just bananas for the design, they aren‘t getting any more performance than the models you mentioned (assuming the same blade steel and heat treat). I don’t buy any knives because they are better that others, I buy them when the performance, design, and materials align with my preferences.

I don’t post often but I’m Bored at work and this threads helped pass the time so I want to give back to you all.

Ive carried it, used it, brought it to work, played with it while watching movies with the wife.

First impressions was a mixed bag to be critical. When I opened it I liked the machining and the weight and size. On YT I saw people say they were surprised at how much smaller the knife was than they expected. I immediately noticed there was left over either locktite on the clip screw or grease. I tried to wipe, wash it off but the whole knife just turned that matte blurple color that you’ve seen on all the reviews and photos. It didn’t bother me at all and when I looked the whole thing over after drying I decided she’s a keeper. Here’s the fun part and what I like reading when people post their opinions.

In use: First thing I used was to open up an Amazon box that had the dogs food in it. I was really happy with how sharp it was. It just touched the cardboard and slid through it. That’s when I noticed the geometry of the blade. I put it in my pocket and fed my dog. Went to take it back out and that clip sits a millimeter back of the lock bar relief cut and I had to really tug. I was wearing kakis cause I was too excited to change when I got home from work. They have those 45 degree pocket openings which always makes knife clips a little awkward. In jeans it doesn’t get caught up as badly as long as you’re standing. I’ve noticed if I’m sitting and go to pull it out it does snag from how I’m trying to pull it out.

hard use: Well now what do you do after your dog eats? You gotta take them outside. I’m at the dog park and I pick up a branch and start testing out the edge stability. No rolling with the m390 so now I’m getting excited. I walk back to the house and grab a few things that the wife wanted to throw out that was left over from her gardening. I had railing mounted flower pots that had zip ties in them. This thing sliced them not popped them off. Then I started breaking down the boxes, plastic pots and other trash which included a pallet. No edge deformation. Now I’m giddy. I strop the edge on wood with 1 micron diamond paste and this thing gets stupid sharp with 10 minutes of work.

cons: I like the clip, I really do, it doesn’t bother me from the looks of it. I did notice in use I do notice it in my hand. It will wipe the blue ano off from where it touches which is to be expected it’s a tool. It does wiggle a little back and fourth so yes if I’m breaking down a wood pallet I’m going to use something else but i was excited to see what it can do. The handle is thin so again if you’re camping and you want to break down kindling it’ll do it but it’s not your first choice, right..

from a materials perspective it can handle it and I can’t wait for it to develop love marks. I’ll reano it to a color I like more or tumble it or refinish it some way but until it looks horrible I’m leaving it as a “coating” if you will.

I like the knife, it shines and a gentleman’s edc if you like the style. The tolerances are almost exceptional. CRK’s are better if I can humbly mention that but if you argued I couldn’t disagree strongly.

hard use knife, not really but it’s well put together so if it’s what you have on you that day it’ll get you through. It’s just a pleasant knife and I can see it’s going to last long enough that I can pass it down.

Back