Spyderco Small Nirvana – coming soon? Plus Slysz swayback

According to EDC Gear & Gun Reviews on YouTube, at the USN Gathering over the weekend, Spyderco was showing a new small Nirvana, based on the Rassenti, "coming soon." Does anyone have any details?

Another that Spyderco showed was the Slysz swayback, which has been rumored for quite a while. He didn't mention anything regarding its release date, so who knows.

I'd love to hear from someone who was able to see either of these at the show. Also mentioned was a smaller flipper version of the Subvert.

The Nirvana is such an odd bird, I'm surprised they'd go for a smaller version of it. I am excited to hear the Swayback is coming to fruition.

It also seems like many of the newer models are just resizes of older established models. o_O

The Nirvana is such an odd bird, I'm surprised they'd go for a smaller version of it. I am excited to hear the Swayback is coming to fruition.

It also seems like many of the newer models are just resizes of older established models. o_O
Yep, they also had a smaller Subvert with a flipper tab and a YoJumbo.

I'm surprised to hear criticism about resized releases of established models. Seems I always hear members say "This knife would be awesome if it was "x" bigger/smaller"

It also surprises me because most of the re-sized models are complete redesigns and not merely scaled up/down. The Shaman, native chief, and lil native are good examples of that, as well as the endela off hand.

Plus spyderco puts out tons of new stuff besides the usual suspects.

I'm surprised to hear criticism about resized releases of established models. Seems I always hear members say "This knife would be awesome if it was "x" bigger/smaller"

It also surprises me because most of the re-sized models are complete redesigns and not merely scaled up/down. The Shaman, native chief, and lil native are good examples of that, as well as the endela off hand.

Plus spyderco puts out tons of new stuff besides the usual suspects.
I have said that about a select few models, though less so recently because I'm starting to enjoy big knives.

I don't see much difference in design of the Endela or Native Chief. It looks like the original knives but scaled in different dimensions. Not that that's a bad thing, but I am just surprised to see many new models be blade or size variations. It's new to me that's all.

Odd in what way?

FWIW, I like the Nirvana way more than the Paysan; proof being that I traded away the Paysan and paid more for a Nirvana than I paid for the Paysan.

Personally, I don't like and wouldn't buy a down-sized version of any knife (Spyderco or otherwise) that I own. Reasons? My preference is for larger knives generally and if I wanted a smaller knife I would not have bought the larger model in the 1st place.

If I wanted a smaller knife (and I have a few), I would buy one that was already designed to be smaller rather than kludge up a perfectly well designed larger knife just to make it smaller. An example of this for me is the Endela. I own 4 Enduras but not a single Delica. Why? Because the Delica is too small a knife for my taste and the Endlea doesn't make it any better.

I also own a D/A converted Valloton Sub-hilt but was NEVER interested in buying the Lil Sub-hilt for the reasons mentioned previously.

But, different strokes for different folks. If there's interest and a market for a downsized version of popular knives that Spyderco can take advantage of, I say they should go for it. They can't stay in business unless they sell knives and if that's a way to improve their bottom line, so be it. I'm just not someone who would be interested in such knives.

Last edited:
Person on a Facebook forum/ group that attended the USN show

And YouTube

Wow! That's a lot of Spidie news. Looks like I have some decisions to ponder. It's getting rough for us knife nuts with all of these amazing knives coming out.

Edit to add

R.I.P. wallets of pm2 fans.

Last edited:
A "Yojumbo"? As in a bigger Yojimbo? AAAWWWWWWESOME!

I loved the Nirvana (aside from the blade finish) so a smaller version would hold my interest.

And the Swayback sounds great too.

I love my Nirvana but do not believe it was much of a success for Spyderco. I’d be surprised if they visited that well again.

Now I have to imagine someone watches the secondary market and another run of Slyzs Bowie’s would sell like hot cakes, and I’d have to believe a swayback would also do well.

Yojumbo-YOJUMBO
Bring it !!!!!!!!

Back