Spyderco Smock

What is the Gathering, is that the Amsterdam meet? Also did they have the Ikuchi there :D I'm dying for news on that one lol
USN Gathering in Vegas. I didn't see an Ikuchi, but I wasn't looking for one either. I was all about the Smock, Paysan, Kapara, and Techno 2.

Thanks for the pic! Are the scales textured? Similar to the scales on the Sliverax?
Good question - I actually don't remember :(. They definitely weren't as textured as Spyderco G-10 would be on a PM2 or similar, but I can't remember if it was perfectly smooth, or slightly textured.

To add:
  • It flips very well, even with the tiny flipper tab. I think Spyderco has finally gotten detents and bearings nailed down
  • Several people on here have suggested adding jimping to the flipper tab. I didn't have any issues with the tab without jimping, but of course that was in ideal conditions, without gloves, etc. I asked about it and they said they had no plans to add jimping in the regular production run, but who knows in future sprint runs
  • This sample did not drop free when you pressed the button, in either the closed or deployed positions, but would fall with the slightest wrist flick. You could wrist flick it open and closed easily when pressing the button. That behavior might change if you loosened or tightened the pivot, of course
  • The choil in the blade is too small to be a finger choil, and the rep confirmed it's not meant to be one. It's there to let the blade wrap around the button when closed, and of course doubles as a sharpening choil
  • The Spydiehole is small, but can be used to open the knife - again, in ideal conditions without gloves, etc.
For me it was the most impressive knife they had on the production sample table, and that includes the Paysan and the Drunken. I went from "very interested" to "must have it" after trying it. Really, though, I'm hoping for a sprint run in upgraded steel.

I'm glad they made the clip ambidextrous. I'm a lefty and I think I can deal with the lock's button release, but a right hand only clip was a deal breaker for me -- and a real disappointment because this knife caught my eye right off the bat.

I'm glad they made the clip ambidextrous. I'm a lefty and I think I can deal with the lock's button release, but a right hand only clip was a deal breaker for me -- and a real disappointment because this knife caught my eye right off the bat.

As a fellow lefty, we are in luck, my friend. :thumbsup:

Already got the funds set aside, hopefully get to play with it at Blade West. Trying to get that front flipper action practice.

Back