Spyderco Southard blade failure with pics

How about this: pick up a Bladeforums membership so you can send a private message to the OP and wait for him to answer you directly. Judging from how long you've been asking about the knife, my guess is that you are a patient fellow.

How about I don't, and do this instead. So not only I, but others can benefit from an answer, especially since the OP specifically said he'd update. Thanks and stay sharp!

You might take a tig welder to the blade and use a block/sander and 2000 wet dry on the welds? Pretty sure it isn't covered under warranty. That is a strange pivot design. It seems like the pivot area would be one solid piece of metal.

How about I don't, and do this instead. So not only I, but others can benefit from an answer, especially since the OP specifically said he'd update. Thanks and stay sharp!

You asked before and did not get an answer. I don't know why people think that repeating the same behavior over and over again is going to yield a different result the 3rd, 5th, or 100th time.

You seem to be more concerned about the answer than everyone else, especially given that you are the only one who's asked the question, the OP posted this thread 2 years ago, and the OP was on just a few days ago and STILL has not responded. Like it or not, an update to this thread clearly is not a priority.

If you don't feel the $ is worth getting spending on a BFC membership, you can always just buy the knife from an authorized dealer and take your chances, though IMHO, anyone who knows anything about Spyderco, their customer service, their warranty, or the owner also knows that the $ for a Southard is money well spent. YMMV.

Thank you for your interest in Spyderco though. Really, you can't go wrong with them.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

I would also like an answer about this. I have discussed this very thread with many people and I did not always start the conversation. There are at least a few people out there who want to know. I can appreciate the fact that Spyderco has great customer service but I cannot accept the idea that I should not be concerned about the design of an expensive knife just because Spyderco will take care of me if it breaks. I just don't want it to break in the first place and I want to know that I can trust it when I need it. If you don't care that is fine but I do not see why you are bothered that someone wanted to know. I'll be blunt, I am glad this thread got bumped because I think that the Mantra has the same style of stop pin (not 100% sure though) and I will not be buying one until I figure out what happened here.

You have never repeated the same behavior and gotten different results? Hmmm... I value determination and perseverance. I think I have gotten a lot of what I have with the old try, try, try and try again approach. Good for you that you can either get what you want on the first try or move on. It doesn't always work that way for me :)

I would also like an answer about this. I have discussed this very thread with many people and I did not always start the conversation. There are at least a few people out there who want to know. I can appreciate the fact that Spyderco has great customer service but I cannot accept the idea that I should not be concerned about the design of an expensive knife just because Spyderco will take care of me if it breaks. I just don't want it to break in the first place and I want to know that I can trust it when I need it. If you don't care that is fine but I do not see why you are bothered that someone wanted to know. I'll be blunt, I am glad this thread got bumped because I think that the Mantra has the same style of stop pin (not 100% sure though) and I will not be buying one until I figure out what happened here.

You have never repeated the same behavior and gotten different results? Hmmm... I value determination and perseverance. I think I have gotten a lot of what I have with the old try, try, try and try again approach. Good for you that you can either get what you want on the first try or move on. It doesn't always work that way for me :)

Pretty much. Oh well, at least he/she has a nice avatar and isnt' rendered completely useless :D

Exactly.

If the mantra were my preference, I wouldn't hesitate to get one, seeing as it uses m4.
Likewise with the southard, if it used m4...

i really wish that the OP would do a update!and how his new southard compares with his old one!also like to add,if spyderco is doing any kind of drop-test just to see if this metal is to brittle after the heat treatment!

Sorry if it seemed like I abandoned everyone, I saw when activity picked back up on this thread but was unable to reply until now because of a problem with the site not allowing me to post. Anyways, even though I edited it into the end of the original post I will say again that I did get a replacement back from Spyderco. Sal said it was likely a heat treatment problem with that batch, but I will admit I think the whole idea of an internal stop pin unnecessarily weakens the blade of any knife and have been wary of knives that have it since this happened. However, I still love my Southard as an overall knife and have EDC'd it most of the days since I got it back with no other issues to speak of.

Last edited:
Back