1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Spyderco Southard blade failure with pics

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Atakdog, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Noxious Fumes

Noxious Fumes

Sep 7, 2011
    That letter from M Glesser himself is a classy touch ...... :thumbup:

It adds to my pride of ownership.

2. the_Marshall

the_Marshall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Wow very disappointing to see this, the Southard is one of my favorite go to knives. However glad to see Spyderco took care of you.

3. Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Feb 27, 2010
    What was the outcome of the failure? Just curious......

4. tvenuto

tvenuto

Jan 27, 2013
    I would also be interested to hear what the probable cause of failure was. I own a Southard and still have every confidence in it, but I too am curious.

5. jalcon

jalcon

Jul 30, 2013
    Any update on this. I WANT to pull the trigger on a Southard bad but honestly sort of hesitant..

6. Mannlicher

Mannlicher

Nov 19, 2008
    don't be shy. I have carried a Southard ever since they first came out. Flawless. Heck, it's in my pocket as we speak. :D

7. jeeper9010

jeeper9010

Dec 29, 2014
    Its threads like these that make me a spyderco guy for life.

8. jeeper9010

jeeper9010

Dec 29, 2014
    Why would you hesitate? Spyderco stands behind their product and took care of the single issue thus far. I would have no reservations in getting one knowing that they will make it right in the slight event that it isn't.

9. bld522

bld522

Feb 3, 2004
    Exactly. Atakdog's post says it all:

ANY KNIFE CAN FAIL. And by the laws of probability, if you make enough knives, some of them WILL fail. If you want to purchase a knife that is guaranteed never to fail, you're going to have to find one made out of a material that currently does not exist.

10. jalcon

jalcon

Jul 30, 2013
    The reason I am hesitant is because I plan on rit dying the brown G10 black. This would void the warranty bc I "took it apart".

11. JNewell

JNewell

Nov 18, 2005
    There is a black model.

12. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    Made in Taiwan?

13. jalcon

jalcon

Jul 30, 2013
    Also $50 more, and I prefer the satin blade -_-

14. bld522

bld522

Feb 3, 2004
  15. jalcon

jalcon

Jul 30, 2013
  16. Blade Runner 7

Blade Runner 7 Affordable Anodizing Services

Oct 26, 2010
    I wish people would stop perpetuating that rumor.

17. calc

calc

Apr 7, 2014
    I wouldn't worry about it, personally. Any knife can break, if you name a (production) model, I'm sure there's a picture of it broken somewhere.

I wouldn't speak for Spyderco...

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44631

18. bld522

bld522

Feb 3, 2004
    If you can figure out how to take the stock scales off to put the aftermarket scales on, you should be able to do that in reverse. ;)

19. Blade Runner 7

Blade Runner 7 Affordable Anodizing Services

Oct 26, 2010
    The key word is "technically". Spyderco will take care of manufacturing defects regardless of being taken apart.

20. jalcon

jalcon

Jul 30, 2013
    No kidding. The warranty is still void then. Or are you suggesting putting the old scales back on in the case of needing a warranty?