Spyderco Southard blade failure with pics

Wow very disappointing to see this, the Southard is one of my favorite go to knives. However glad to see Spyderco took care of you.

I would also be interested to hear what the probable cause of failure was. I own a Southard and still have every confidence in it, but I too am curious.

I would also be interested to hear what the probable cause of failure was. I own a Southard and still have every confidence in it, but I too am curious.

Any update on this. I WANT to pull the trigger on a Southard bad but honestly sort of hesitant..

don't be shy. I have carried a Southard ever since they first came out. Flawless. Heck, it's in my pocket as we speak. :D

Any update on this. I WANT to pull the trigger on a Southard bad but honestly sort of hesitant..

Why would you hesitate? Spyderco stands behind their product and took care of the single issue thus far. I would have no reservations in getting one knowing that they will make it right in the slight event that it isn't.

Exactly. Atakdog's post says it all:

Eric told me in the letter I got that they had not seen a single other issue like this despite having sold so many Southards, so I doubt there is a bad batch associated with it.

ANY KNIFE CAN FAIL. And by the laws of probability, if you make enough knives, some of them WILL fail. If you want to purchase a knife that is guaranteed never to fail, you're going to have to find one made out of a material that currently does not exist.

Why would you hesitate? Spyderco stands behind their product and took care of the single issue thus far. I would have no reservations in getting one knowing that they will make it right in the slight event that it isn't.

The reason I am hesitant is because I plan on rit dying the brown G10 black. This would void the warranty bc I "took it apart".

Thanks, but this would still void the warranty. Taking the knife apart to put the new scales would void it.

If you can figure out how to take the stock scales off to put the aftermarket scales on, you should be able to do that in reverse. ;)

If you can figure out how to take the stock scales off to put the aftermarket scales on, you should be able to do that in reverse. ;)

No kidding. The warranty is still void then. Or are you suggesting putting the old scales back on in the case of needing a warranty?

Back